NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
The top 3 center type Seattle having get big rolling as small stars is this Eller as best , Hager as second lines and Corvi as third lineup then it get the least those in defensive Nilsson as reserve goalie plus Shattenkirk , Petrovic include as defensive director Seattle has more explosive defence than offensive lines but I loving top 3 center type all from EU and Lars Eller get first gold in career in Capitals of 2018's. :(

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
First look at updated plans for new arena at Seattle Center (PHOTOS)

We've got some real news for you this morning, and it's fresh off the press as of a few minutes ago.

Oak View has released some updated photos of what they envision KeyArena to look like once they're done redeveloping it for the NHL and perhaps NBA. I have just taken a look at these and it appears there isn't much different than previous photos so take it for what it's worth. Appears they are discussing this on Q13's morning news now, so there will be a link to that above the story if you want to watch the remainder of their news until 10am Pacific/1pm Eastern.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Potential Seattle NHL owners planning major practice facility

As noted in the above tweet, thanks razorray for that, KIRO led off its 6:00 news tonight with an interview their city government guy Graham Johnson did with Tod Leiweke today in which the Seattle NHL expansion group president touted their ideas for building a big new practice facility. What they're envisioning is a facility with THREE ice sheets. Not sure how many NHL teams have three rinks in their practice facility - the Vegas one which is described in the story (BB are they correct on this) is indicated to have two.

A couple of comments and Tommy, feel free to disagree if you'd like:

-There was no mention of where they'd locate it. That said, my guess is ideally they'll like to locate this on the Eastside, but such a large facility I'd expect would at minimum with the parking and what not need around 10 or so acres perhaps, maybe 15 tops. With land being especially pricey, that will be a big cost for them. As I just noted, my thinking is they'll want to build it on the Eastside, but the largest amount of available land in these type of acreages - and the cheapest I might add - is down in south King County, Auburn, Kent, Renton areas. So if the land costs take them down there, they'll be building it down there IMO. I do not see them building this in Seattle. Interbay might be a possibility, but it's more likely this type of facility might be better suited to SoDo, and you know where that will probably go......

-Such a building would most likely need to be built in industrial zoning because of the nature of the size of the thing. Would probably be hard to build in commercial zoning and it's sure as hell that you won't see it in a residential area.

-If there's an existing building that could be retrofitted to meet the specs, such as an old industrial facility (those of you who aren't familiar with the IKEA store here in Renton - that used to be an old Boeing factory before it was converted into the IKEA), that might be preferable. What Leiweke is looking to do is create an organizational culture similar to the one he created for the Seahawks that helps them draw top players and of course win as a result of that. Having a practice facility for an NHL team the caliber of the VMAC in Renton that the Seahawks practice at I think is his goal. And if you want to know what I mean, Google Virginia Mason Athletic Center and look at some photos of this, and you'll be stunned.

Have a look at the story and my comments and have at it everyone.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
For something that big? Hmm. Not sure exactly sure where they are thinking. Personally i don't have any ideas.

regarding sodo being the location... Hansen is too stubborn to admit he lost and would rather wait and wait even with the NBA team playing in the new redone Key arena before doing something else about that land.

Another thing to consider if this is even going to be a wide building. It could have multiple floors instead.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
With respect to SoDo, Tommy, I wasn't thinking about Hansen, but instead the Port....

You might be onto something as well with it being multiple floors - however, if they wanted to build up instead of build out, then you're dealing with height limits and what not as well that they'll have to consider when they apply for the permits to build.

One other observation I have as well and that is even though they don't officially have a team secured yet, it clearly seems as if Oak View and the Leiweke's are acting as if they know they're going to get it so they want to have all this stuff ready to go when they do get the team this fall - the idea being that they're going to want to be moving dirt on the practice facility in concert with the Key Arena reconstruction so they'll have the practice barn ready in time for 2020 in addition to the arena.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I recall a proposal in the past few years for a 3 sheet ice rink and swimming pool in North Seattle. The land would be on existing park/reservoir land. Could have been at either Maple Leaf Reservoir Park or Roosevelt reservoir. They are moving the reservois underground and repurposing. I think the Maple Leaf one is already a park but a movement to get something done on the Roosevelt one.

Edit: found facebook page/link

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
As Tommy and Legend correctly note, this has been in the works for awhile and Tommy is also correct that there is no ice plant as part of these reno's. This work is more intended for the Dome so that it can keep the EXISTING business they currently do have, which a lot of it is concerts, something which Oak View I expect will compete hard to get, so in a way this renovation is perhaps a message to OVG they'd better not come after us for our concerts. The Dome is considered to be the premier indoor concert venue in the Puget Sound region largely because it's the largest at around 18-20,000 seats for concert usage. They will lose at least one high school state championship as a result of all this - gymnastics, which was in the next door exhibition hall and utilized the portable seating that is being done away with as part of the work - but the revenue loss from that is minuscule compared to the revenue they'd lose from concerts to Oak View if they didn't work hard to provide a competitive venue for traveling shows to play at.

I just think they need to find some way, even if it would be just over 1 year, to make the Tacoma Dome work for 2019-20 or even 2020-21, if the EIS and other lawsuits slow down the project. Instead of waiting until whenever the Key Arena redo is finalized and game ready. The Labor agreement could expire in 2020, (one of the parties could opt out on it). Plus, out of the blue, the NBA could announce that they will come back and 2021 wouldn't be unrealistic. If they come back at the same time the NHL starts, good luck NHL, you'll really need it. Get a head start and use the T Dome and it wouldn't be that much of a hurdle to put an ice plant again in there even if it's just for 1 or 2 years. As far as 2019? Not unrealistic, Florida and Anaheim started and maybe even Nashville with just over or under 1 year notice.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I just think they need to find some way, even if it would be just over 1 year, to make the Tacoma Dome work for 2019-20 or even 2020-21, if the EIS and other lawsuits slow down the project. Instead of waiting until whenever the Key Arena redo is finalized and game ready. The Labor agreement could expire in 2020, (one of the parties could opt out on it). Plus, out of the blue, the NBA could announce that they will come back and 2021 wouldn't be unrealistic. If they come back at the same time the NHL starts, good luck NHL, you'll really need it. Get a head start and use the T Dome and it wouldn't be that much of a hurdle to put an ice plant again in there even if it's just for 1 or 2 years. As far as 2019? Not unrealistic, Florida and Anaheim started and maybe even Nashville with just over or under 1 year notice.

Not going to work. Tacoma Dome would need several 100m's of dollars just to make it work for hockey for just a season..

Everything is on track. So far there is no lawsuit since FEIS is not out yet.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
Not going to work. Tacoma Dome would need several 100m's of dollars just to make it work for hockey for just a season..

Everything is on track. So far there is no lawsuit since FEIS is not out yet.
Several 100ms? That's almost as much to build a minor league arena.

I seriously doubt that it would even be close to that.

My fear is if they don't start in 2020 or even 2019, they could start try to start in 2021, good luck doing that in a year where there is 90% chance of being a strike or lockout to start the season.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

My fear is if they don't start in 2020 or even 2019, they could start try to start in 2021, good luck doing that in a year where there is 90% chance of being a strike or lockout to start the season.
THERE'S NO ICE IN THE Tacoma Dome, nor any equipment, the decision was made it's Seattle Center and do you have any insider credence to another labor stoppage, been, because NO one has believed a word of that

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Yes it would been quite a lot. The arena doesn't have suites, no ice plant, has removable seats for other events. They would have to basically jut the entire interior and redo it for it to even be a viable temp. Not worth the cost just for 1 years use.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Yes it would been quite a lot. The arena doesn't have suites, no ice plant, has removable seats for other events. They would have to basically jut the entire interior and redo it for it to even be a viable temp. Not worth the cost just for 1 years use.

Not to mention that an upgrade is currently being implemented or approved for none of the items needed to make it even close to a temporary nhl acceptable arena.

One of the WHL rinks would be better than the Dome would be. And they would not work either imo.

It is City Center and the timing is tied into that arena.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I think Seattle is the logical and most likely of all to come in the fray and fit nicely into the NHL. It's got a huge population to support the team locally and wouldn't be as regional as a team like Portland/Milwuakee like someone mentioned early. The other team imo should be Canadian, Quebec city/Halifax make sense to me. Halifax would be a really good choice imo. The city is growing and they can tap into/fragment fans from NewFoundland, Labrador, PEI, New Brunswick, and of coarse of all Nova Scotia.

The best choice though is Seattle to me by far, they've got quite a bit of infrastructure already in place to support a team and maybe a better homegrown fan base than Vegas. Also, an almost built in rival with Vancouver.

If the Coyotes ever put a product out playoff worthy consistently I think they'll make it. Casual fans like hockey occasionally on the week days and whatever but most sports fan in general like watching their teams compete for something... It's a big reason why I think the Atlanta Thrashers burnt out as a franchise.(Consistently not competitive) Unable to cultivate a good loyal fan base.

Phoenix and Las Vegas are growing rapidly in populations so it's wise for the NHL to dig it's roots in and try to establish a fan-base in both places long-term cause the populations isn't going down. Obviously Vegas is doing well so far... Time will tell if they end up like the Thrashers though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think Seattle is the logical and most likely of all to come in the fray and fit nicely into the NHL. It's got a huge population to support the team locally and wouldn't be as regional as a team like Portland/Milwuakee like someone mentioned early. The other team imo should be Canadian, Quebec city/Halifax make sense to me. Halifax would be a really good choice imo. The city is growing and they can tap into/fragment fans from NewFoundland, Labrador, PEI, New Brunswick, and of coarse of all Nova Scotia.

The best choice though is Seattle to me by far, they've got quite a bit of infrastructure already in place to support a team and maybe a better homegrown fan base than Vegas. Also, an almost built in rival with Vancouver.

If the Coyotes ever put a product out playoff worthy consistently I think they'll make it. Casual fans like hockey occasionally on the week days and whatever but most sports fan in general like watching their teams compete for something... It's a big reason why I think the Atlanta Thrashers burnt out as a franchise.(Consistently not competitive) Unable to cultivate a good loyal fan base.

Phoenix and Las Vegas are growing rapidly in populations so it's wise for the NHL to dig it's roots in and try to establish a fan-base in both places long-term cause the populations isn't going down. Obviously Vegas is doing well so far... Time will tell if they end up like the Thrashers though.

Vegas isn't going to be another thrashers situation.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It's a big reason why I think the Atlanta Thrashers burnt out as a franchise.(Consistently not competitive) Unable to cultivate a good loyal fan base.

It is more accurate to say uninterested in cultivating a good loyal fan base. Actually, it's most accurate to say they deliberately sabotaged the market from Day One.

Reactions: Northern Knights

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
We have some news from City Hall and this morning's Council meeting.....we have a date you can circle on your calendars.....

From Chris Daniels. The councilmember he is referring to in the tweet is Debora Juarez, the arena committee chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad