NHL to review Pride tape use by Coyotes’ Travis Dermott as possible violation of ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
These vague declarations are cute but have nothing to do with the NHL choosing to shoot themselves in the foot multiple times on this issue.

Because I was addressing the aspect of social media and how it plays in general.

People can keep banging that drum all they want but it won’t make it any more true.

And as I said... I have roughly 40 years experience with this. More than a quarter of it moderating in the political realm.

You'd be surprised how much of a factor it is.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The media could also stop demonizing guys you dont want to participate because of religious or other beliefs.
If you make a conscious choice, you will be judged on it. I don't understand why people are suddenly not allowed to judge another person's moral standing based on their actions and beliefs.

Especially considering pretty much all these guys went along with it in years prior, so it isn't like their morals are exactly rock solid anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
And as I said... I have roughly 40 years experience with this. More than a quarter of it moderating in the political realm.

You'd be surprised how much of a factor it is.
Enlighten me, then. I have yet to see a credible case that reasonably lays blame on "the media" or "social media" for the NHL making their decisions on this issue.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If you make a conscious choice, you will be judged on it. I don't understand why people are suddenly not allowed to judge another person's moral standing based on their actions and beliefs.

Especially considering pretty much all these guys went along with it in years prior, so it isn't like their morals are exactly rock solid anyway.
Not to mention it's an outcry for being judged... for judging others.

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Enlighten me, then. I have yet to see a credible case that reasonably lays blame on "the media" or "social media" for the NHL making their decisions on this issue.
Simple….

The Coyotes pulled their Pride Night promo within a couple of hours of posting it and removed all related content to it which included clips of Dermott answering questions, correct?

If this isn’t the big deal you say it is then why pull it and go low key or even cancel it all together?

I read a lot of the reactions to it and they weren’t pretty.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The NHL is gonna NHL. Hear me out, if players want to use pride tape in warm-ups let em if they don't then they dont have to.

It allows the league to remain neutral and if people get mad at that then that's their issue.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Simple….

The Coyotes pulled their Pride Night promo within a couple of hours of posting it and removed all related content to it which included clips of Dermott answering questions, correct?

If this isn’t the big deal you say it is then why pull it and go low key or even cancel it all together?

I read a lot of the reactions to it and they weren’t pretty.
Ah, that's the problem, you are talking specifically about that situation. My mistake.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How did the NHL think they were going to be able to enforce this?, with a 5K fine?

The minimum salary 775K there is not a single player in the NHL that gives a single f*** about a 5K fine.

And it probably wouldn't be paid by them anyway, it would probably be paid by the owners.

The owners are all billionaires they REALLY don't give a f*** about a 5K fine.

In fact there is no realistic fine you could order to make an owner blink.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
Placeholder, to see how the event goes down & what the mood is afterward.

Usually the auctions end at the end of the 2nd intermission so they might just make the the auctions on-site only tonight.

Still an opportunity to make a lot of cash either way if they have pride themed Jerseys even if they aren't game worn now.

Reactions: TheLegend

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What ever happened to the days when hockey was just hockey
Was hockey just hockey when Don Cherry, arguably hockey's most popular commentator, regularly used his platform on Hockey Night in Canada to regularly rant about non-hockey topics?

How about when various NHL teams helped Soviet players defect

Or when the US beat the USSR in the 1980 Miracle on Ice?

Or during the various in-season exhibition games between Soviet and NHL teams?

Or the Canada-USSR Summit Series In 1972?

Or how about the Richard Riot of 1955?

And while I have no precise examples, I have little doubt that the NHL and its teams promoted and supported the war effort during WWII. Was that hockey being just hockey?

And how much of the famed Montreal Canadiens-Toronto Maple Leafs rivalry was a result of tensions between the French and English populations of Canada?

Or how about the creation of Les Canadiens in 1909 as Montreal's French team? Was that hockey just being hockey?

Hockey does not exist in a vacuu. It is influenced by and influences the world beyond.

So, I'm curious to know when you think hockey was just hockey?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Was hockey just hockey when Don Cherry, arguably hockey's most popular commentator, regularly used his platform on Hockey Night in Canada to regularly rant about non-hockey topics?

And while I have no precise examples, I have little doubt that the NHL and its teams promoted and supported the war effort during WWII. Was that hockey being just hockey?

And how much of the famed Montreal Canadiens-Toronto Maple Leafs rivalry was a result of tensions between the French and English populations of Canada?

Or how about the creation of Les Canadiens in 1909 as Montreal's French team? Was that hockey just being hockey?

Hockey does not exist in a vacuu. It is influenced by and influences the world beyond.

When I wasn't deluged by issues that don't belong in sports

When I wasn't wrong to not want other people's beliefs and lifestyle choices shoved down my throat

When I didn't have to explain to a kid not mature enough to understand what rainbow tape is for.

When players who don't conform to said beliefs and choices weren't vilified as the bad guy

When men were men

When I could watch a game without moving ads on the boards

When Kenny Albert didn't give me the Draft King odds in the middle of a rush

When Emily Kaplan didn't ask stupid questions on the bench while the game was going on

When standings and playoff positions weren't decided on Overtime gimmicks

When the cost of an entire night at a game was less then the parking fees of today

When I could sit on my fat ass and root for my team, enjoy a brawl and drink a beer and enjoy the competition and beauty of the sport

Keep the rest of that shit out of the arena as far as I'm concerned

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

All of those are related to hockey. The OP is discussing a voluntary off-ice activity by a corporate entity whose sole reason for existing is to make money.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
All of those are related to hockey. The OP is discussing a voluntary off-ice activity by a corporate entity whose sole reason for existing is to make money.

For charity usually.

Most teams (and the Coyotes are one) have foundations who use these nights as a fundraising event for social programs.

There are some who think these things are just for lining the pockets of owners.

Reactions: JMCx4

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
If you can’t wrap your head around the idea that promoting inclusivity has an impact on the sport of hockey then I don’t know what to tell you.

When I wasn't deluged by issues that don't belong in sports

When I wasn't wrong to not want other people's beliefs and lifestyle choices shoved down my throat

When I didn't have to explain to a kid not mature enough to understand what rainbow tape is for.

When players who don't conform to said beliefs and choices weren't vilified as the bad guy

When men were men

When I could watch a game without moving ads on the boards

When Kenny Albert didn't give me the Draft King odds in the middle of a rush

When Emily Kaplan didn't ask stupid questions on the bench while the game was going on

When standings and playoff positions weren't decided on Overtime gimmicks

When the cost of an entire night at a game was less then the parking fees of today

When I could sit on my fat ass and root for my team, enjoy a brawl and drink a beer and enjoy the competition and beauty of the sport

Keep the rest of that shit out of the arena as far as I'm concerned
“When men were men”

Lol get a grip, dude.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
For charity usually.

Most teams (and the Coyotes are one) have foundations who use these nights as a fundraising event for social programs.

There are some who think these things are just for lining the pockets of owners.

I wouldn't go that far, they look good for PR reasons while sometimes not really a lot of money for charity.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How about don't tell me anything. I'm not interested in this type of inclusivity in this fashion when it comes to sports. Period.
:biglaugh: OMG dude, how's about just crawl under a rock and pretend the rest of the world doesn't even exist, and you are just your own personal god, and we're all just NPCs in your nice little fantasy video game. :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad