NHL To Resume Play In Edmonton and Toronto | Teams Arrive Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'm fine with having east in east, west in west, but the TV excuse is not real. With no fans, they can play the games whenever they want to. I think it is a nice thing for the hub cities. If you are going through the trouble of setting up the whole thing, you want your team in your building and set up.

Yeah, I agree with this. What does it matter what time they play local time? They could easily have selected EDM and VAN and had double headers at 6 and 9pm Eastern every night.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

View attachment 352075

Building a wall around Rogers and parts of Ice District including Sutton Place hotel.

Hopefully it's not a butt ugly wall. Be interesting to see how it works for those not confined to the bubble 24/7, like hotel staff, and restaurant staff at eateries the players travel to. Already have seen a number of people infected at local restaurants.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Having no audience and being able to have the whole building cooler will help out the ice conditions. If they can actually cool the building sufficiently. Its had hvac problems. In the design the connection with huge ford Hall makes it expensive for heating/cooling in general. This was always a looks vs function design arena. Its not turnkey like Rexall.

They definitely had challenges at the beginning with the HVAC. Those have been rectified and it shows as the ice has been voted 2nd in the league for 2 years now.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Hopefully it's not a butt ugly wall. Be interesting to see how it works for those not confined to the bubble 24/7, like hotel staff, and restaurant staff at eateries the players travel to. Already have seen a number of people infected at local restaurants.

I'm curious to see how many people are included in the bubble.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I'm guessing the staff at those places will be tested regularly as well. How could they do anything other than that. Unless of course those staff members can't leave the bubble either, but for people making a normal wage, that is asking an awful lot.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Yeah, I agree with this. What does it matter what time they play local time? They could easily have selected EDM and VAN and had double headers at 6 and 9pm Eastern every night.

They'll need more time in-between starts, 3 hours isn't enough.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Going to have to eat my words. I thought was no chance they would pick Edmonton over Vegas.

Well, it was either pick Edmonton or endanger the entire thing. It was as much of a no brainer as drafting McDavid 1st.

Now, can they make it to the bubble without too much COVID trouble? It's going to be a tenuous 3 weeks or so to see if they can make it to the starting line.
I'll be interested to see when they expect teams to report to the hubs. The NBA players are supposed to report to theirs by July 7th.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I'm guessing the staff at those places will be tested regularly as well. How could they do anything other than that. Unless of course those staff members can't leave the bubble either, but for people making a normal wage, that is asking an awful lot.

Anyone required to stay in the bubble probably gets paid extra to do so.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Well, it was either pick Edmonton or endanger the entire thing. It was as much of a no brainer as drafting McDavid 1st.

Now, can they make it to the bubble without too much COVID trouble? It's going to be a tenuous 3 weeks or so to see if they can make it to the starting line.
I'll be interested to see when they expect teams to report to the hubs. The NBA players are supposed to report to theirs by July 7th.

July 24th is their goal to report to hubs.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

If it was me I'd just have cooking staff in the bubble to cater the whole thing. Seems silly to use local restaurants.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Just like many other major events held in this city... I hope Edmonton 'hits it out of the ballpark' with this tournament and all the players and league leave this city with very positive impressions. Edmonton is a great city in the summertime and many people are gonna find that out! The whole Covid situation though will always be a concern and I hope the whole thing can go relatively smoothly

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I still hope it's a possibility with all this new CBA stuff, the cap not rising AT ALL, etc. I fear it will be harder to make happen now, but I promise you that he wants to play in Edmonton again.

I would be shocked if there isn't a compliance buyout. There were two before the 2013-14 season after the previous season was lost due to the strike.

If there are two buyouts Neal goes for sure and potentially Russell depending on what the players and owners agree on.

With the cap staying flat I could see this being a relatively easy sell for the NHLPA.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Just like many other major events held in this city... I hope Edmonton 'hits it out of the ballpark' with this tournament and all the players and league leave this city with very positive impressions. Edmonton is a great city in the summertime and many people are gonna find that out! The whole Covid situation though will always be a concern and I hope the whole thing can go relatively smoothly
The shitty thing is there is nothing going on in Edmonton. Usually it is a very great place with many things to do, but this year not so much.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I would be shocked if there isn't a compliance buyout. There were two before the 2013-14 season after the previous season was lost due to the strike.

If there are two buyouts Neal goes for sure and potentially Russell depending on what the players and owners agree on.

With the cap staying flat I could see this being a relatively easy sell for the NHLPA.

They already negotiated a 10% salary deferral. That really is the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad