NHL To Resume Play In Edmonton and Toronto | Teams Arrive Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

That used to be the Monte Carlo. MGM gave the place a complete gutting and facelift and renamed it Park MGM , it’s a 10 minute walk to the rink.

Edit - it’s a 10 minute walk to the rink but beside T Mobile and it’s plaza so the entire thing would have been sealed off easily.

Would probably have felt like prison though, since you have New York New York beside it, and MGM, Luxor, Mandalay Bay further down. Those places would have been open to the public.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Yes, that is what has been reported. So the "weird times" will only happen for a little bit. This will also mean the ice will likely hold up relatively well after the play-in round.

It'll still be a huge undertaking for the ice crew to maintain the ice with 2 games a day. But yes having fewer 3 game days will help them.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Looking at the layout I’d say both but with Covid it sounds like the players and agents bailed on it.

NBC will be whining about this decision but given they pay pennies on the dollar for the US TV rights, I say f*** them.

Arent USA NHL rights changing this off season? Or is that next? Dont remember

duul

Jun 21, 2010
When does Taylor Hall sign?
All I can say about that is that I'm certain he would love to come back to Edmonton and play, and that was his intention.

I still hope it's a possibility with all this new CBA stuff, the cap not rising AT ALL, etc. I fear it will be harder to make happen now, but I promise you that he wants to play in Edmonton again.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Yeah, I was thinking (3) /day for play in: (1) for the top four seeding and (2) for the other eight involved in the best of five.
You’re right, the next actual playoff round with eight teams per hub they can do (2) games per day.

I might have to set up a new tv in my home office just playing hockey all day!

I think they start sat Aug 1st with 3 games on Sat and sun. 2 of them being round robin games. Then if they leave the next round robin games to the next weekend they might have some series finished and they can avoid playing 3 games in a day again.

Will it be 3 or 2 a day?

I know it's 12 teams in each hub, but don't the top 4 get a bye? So you'll only have a max of 8 teams playing during the play-in and 1st round.

N/m, just looked it up, and I see the top 4 still play in a separate round set up.

The top 4 teams play a round robin for seeding. They each play 3 games.

Reactions: Bobieque

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
All I can say about that is that I'm certain he would love to come back to Edmonton and play, and that was his intention.

I still hope it's a possibility with all this new CBA stuff, the cap not rising AT ALL, etc. I fear it will be harder to make happen now, but I promise you that he wants to play in Edmonton again.

If we moved Russell Benning and Chaisson there’s your $8mil.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah, I was thinking (3) /day for play in: (1) for the top four seeding and (2) for the other eight involved in the best of five.
You’re right, the next actual playoff round with eight teams per hub they can do (2) games per day.

I might have to set up a new tv in my home office just playing hockey all day!

I will be living in the home theatre.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It'll still be a huge undertaking for the ice crew to maintain the ice with 2 games a day. But yes having fewer 3 game days will help them.

This is yet another reason why having it in Vegas was such a monumentally STUPID idea. +40 out isn't exactly conducive to great ice conditions. Edmonton at 25-30 (on a hot day) will be a lot easier to maintain the ice. But yeah, the 3 games a day is going to be rough, and require a lot of work. Especially if there are some 2 or 3 OT periods games in the play-in round.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Having no audience and being able to have the whole building cooler will help out the ice conditions. If they can actually cool the building sufficiently. Its had hvac problems. In the design the connection with huge ford Hall makes it expensive for heating/cooling in general. This was always a looks vs function design arena. Its not turnkey like Rexall.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
This is yet another reason why having it in Vegas was such a monumentally STUPID idea. +40 out isn't exactly conducive to great ice conditions. Edmonton at 25-30 (on a hot day) will be a lot easier to maintain the ice. But yeah, the 3 games a day is going to be rough, and require a lot of work. Especially if there are some 2 or 3 OT periods games in the play-in round.

Vegas has a state of the art building. They would have been fine dealing with the temperature. Plus their humidity levels are lower than Edmonton's that time of year.

Humidity will be the second biggest problem for the ice crews after ice thickness.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
No body in the building should help keep the temp down

Reactions: Wewillrise

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Thing is, if the cap is flat the next two seasons, and only going up 1 mil in year 3, that will drive down the price the UFA's would initially have been asking for. Don't see players doing a one year deal now in the hopes of the cap bouncing back up the following year since that seems to be out the window now. Hopefully they can make things work and bring him back.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Would probably have felt like prison though, since you have New York New York beside it, and MGM, Luxor, Mandalay Bay further down. Those places would have been open to the public.

It would be walled off with the plaza at T Mobile but it’s so massive that I don’t think it would have been prison like. It’s a huge property.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They had to come to the agreement WITH the players. I'd imagine it's the players that care about health somewhat.

Also, the owners make more money from TV if they can complete the season so it's in their interests as a whole to choose locations where the chances to complete the season are best.

Its the players who owe the owners half a billion dollars. Expect advertising on jerseys next season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

CC8E61BF-4457-4EFB-8071-46A6931C48B6.jpeg

Building a wall around Rogers and parts of Ice District including Sutton Place hotel.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad