NHL To Resume Play In Edmonton and Toronto | Teams Arrive Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
In a podcast I listened to today the talk was for the need to lock players and staff down now or else they will be flying to Hub Cities with less than a full roster.

At the very least they should get the teams away from those sunbelt hotbeds.
I agree, that has always been my biggest concern. Phase 3. Not Phase 2, not the bubble.

I'm not going to get bent out of shape about Phase 2 positives because most of these guys probably caught it before Training Camp when they were in the public with zero restrictions. I'd like to think that they'll have more discipline once Training Camps start in earnest and there's more of a focus on hockey. I fully expected a bunch of positive results after the 1st round of testing.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
There has been tons of athletes, who tested positive, that tested negative and were clear within 2 weeks.
What you're stating is a bunch of ifs. It would take a perfect storm for a player to not be ready to go 24 days after testing positive.
There were soccer players who are now playing after testing positive close to the restart.

Generally, the player (and anybody who was traced to them if tested positive) would have to isolate for 10-14 days then get retested several times until they are negative and then good to go.
I mean, the Blues practice facility will be open in 2 days so obviously it wasn't too big of a setback for the team.
If these positives start becoming the norm once they're into Phase 3 then I think the concern will be valid but that's still 9+ days off.

At the very least they should get the teams away from those sunbelt hotbeds.
I agree, that has always been my biggest concern. Phase 3. Not Phase 2, not the bubble.

I'm not going to get bent out of shape about Phase 2 positives because most of these guys probably caught it before Training Camp when they were in the public with zero restrictions. I'd like to think that they'll have more discipline once Training Camps start in earnest and there's more of a focus on hockey. I fully expected a bunch of positive results after the 1st round of testing.

As you mentioned the positive test they have gotten may have been contracted from before their phase 2 workouts, and they are just finding them now when they report and get tested. The tests from other leagues who were clear in 2 weeks could be the same. Their path from infection to negative could be 3-4 weeks if it went undetected.

If they were careless and infected someone on their team this week they could miss games because of it. At the very least they will miss out on their training camp and possibly the team charter to the hubs.

Not saying that all positive tests will miss games at this point, but we are very quickly approaching that point. I won't be surprised if the play in round gets delayed a bit for teams to get all or enough of their players in the bubble. Hopefully it goes smooth enough to start Aug 1 but I'm not holding my breath for that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Jeeeesus. Come on. I know revenue is important but SURELY this is when you go to a 70-game 2020-21 season, right? I'm amazed the NHLPA is OK with this given the obvious injury concerns.

I’m not sure the NHLPA has signed off on anything for next season yet.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Jeeeesus. Come on. I know revenue is important but SURELY this is when you go to a 70-game 2020-21 season, right? I'm amazed the NHLPA is OK with this given the obvious injury concerns.

It's all about the money. Less games means less revenue.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I wonder if a player could refuse to report to training camp in the States but join up with the team in Canada. Highly doubt it... but I dont know how I would feel about having to go to the States for camp

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I wonder if a player could refuse to report to training camp in the States but join up with the team in Canada. Highly doubt it... but I dont know how I would feel about having to go to the States for camp

Do you mean if the player is already in Canada and has to report to the States team?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If the season starts two/three months late and ends two/3months late, where's the problem?

Reactions: StupidGenius

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I was wondering that exact same thing. It's really odd that teams aren't flying up to Canada for their team camps. Maybe there are issues getting exemption for the quarantine?

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I was wondering that exact same thing. It's really odd that teams aren't flying up to Canada for their team camps. Maybe there are issues getting exemption for the quarantine?

They would have to be quarantined in their hubs, which aren't ready yet.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Pretty sure many players would opt out of going to the States for camp if they could. Remember Stamkos's rolling eyes emoji tweet? Report to Florida? Guaranteed he'd be one of them. Why risk your star player catching the virus at camp?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If they’re starting in January they should just do a 50 game season. By having next season end at the end of summer you’re not giving the players time to heal up for the following season.
I don't think you get to have an October to April schedule even starting in 2021. That will either take a couple years to get back on track or hockey may just continue with the playoffs being completed in the summer. If they finished in August next year, they won't start until November/December.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I don't think you get to have an October to April schedule even starting in 2021. That will either take a couple years to get back on track or hockey may just continue with the playoffs being completed in the summer. If they finished in August next year, they won't start until November/December.

Many of the owners in the US wanted to try a later start to the season anyhow, so that less games are in competition with certain college sports, NFL, etc. This may end up as a permanent switch depending on how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad