NHL to make announcement on Return to Play Plan at 4:30 p.m. ET NBCSN, SN, NHLN, TVAS

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
It's really ironic you say that with your username.

4 in 10 Americans who vote a certain way don't believe in wearing a mask.

A premature return to business sends the wrong message.

Medical protocol does not allow for youth leagues to return. It does not allow for travel between countries. It does not allow for travel between provinces.

They don't have the blessing of the Medical Experts. The restrictions are still in place.

They have recommendations from the Medical Experts that say, IF you are going to do this... this is how you can reduce your risk.

So again, no blessing from the Medical Experts.

They have an approved exemption from the guy who suggested they study injecting disinfectant into your veins.

----

Let me ask you this... are you in favour of dropping the travel ban from China today?

There is nothing ironic about my username. I'm following medical advice. It's foolish not to.

It is quite possible for the NHL to RTP and be safe. They're not mutually exclusive.

If the medical community allows the NHL to do this, what the f*** is your issue with it? That's really the only point here.

I have zero issue with the NHL returning, given the protocols they follow and they do it safely. Which really, hasn't remotely even been discussed yet.

Hub cities. Social distancing protocols. Aggressive testing measures. No spectators. I don't understand why you think the league cannot safely do this. If Dr. Fauci says it can be done, which he has said, then what is the issue?

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There is nothing ironic about my username. I'm following medical advice. It's foolish not to.

It is quite possible for the NHL to RTP and be safe. They're not mutually exclusive.

If the medical community allows the NHL to do this, what the f*** is your issue with it? That's really the only point here.

I have zero issue with the NHL returning, given the protocols they follow and they do it safely. Which really, hasn't remotely even been discussed yet.

Hub cities. Social distancing protocols. Aggressive testing measures. No spectators. I don't understand why you think the league cannot safely do this. If Dr. Fauci says it can be done, which he has said, then what is the issue?

As long as the hub city is nimby.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I hope a team from the 17-24 seeds went on to win the whole thing. That would be perfect symbolism.
a lot of those team could have finished in the top 16 if the season had continued. what symbolism are you talking about.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
With the draft lottery format, i hope all bottom 7 teams win so it can put a wrench into what the NHL really is trying to get with this bs 2 lottery system.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

You keep falsely saying the medical community agrees with this.

If they did, an exemption would NOT be required.

The league would simply comply with existing regulations.

———

Let’s focus on this travel question.

To make this happen, you need to bring 600 folks over from Europe.

Is this safe practice to bring folks over from Europe?

Is so... why is there a ban?

If not... why this 600? If 600 is ok, why not 600 refugees from China?

Is it because you want to see hockey?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
With the draft lottery format, i hope all bottom 7 teams win so it can put a wrench into what the NHL really is trying to get with this bs 2 lottery system.

Again, I think this is broadcaster-pushed idea. I don't see the benefit to the NHL having two draft lotteries. I doubt they're getting any extra money from NBC or Rogers for having the second draft lottery. And certainly, the first draft lottery is part of the existing deals. And if the lotteries draw big ratings, it's the networks that benefit not the NHL. The NHL does not get any additional money.

The other possibility for the split draft is that the bottom 7 teams that won't be returning want to know ASAP where they will be picking and don't want to wait an additional 1-2 months.Maybe having a draft lottery in June was part of getting them to agree to the 24 team plan.

I'm honestly not sure that the NHL cares whether the second draft lottery takes place or not.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
You keep falsely saying the medical community agrees with this.

If they did, an exemption would NOT be required.

The league would simply comply with existing regulations.

———

Let’s focus on this travel question.

To make this happen, you need to bring 600 folks over from Europe.

Is this safe practice to bring folks over from Europe?

Is so... why is there a ban?

If not... why this 600? If 600 is ok, why not 600 refugees from China?

Is it because you want to see hockey?

I never once said the medical community "agrees" with anything. I'm saying the medical community would allow them. Do you really think Bettman would do this without medical teams consent/advice?

I don't need to focus on anything. You need to focus on the league returning to play and medical safety not being mutually exclusive. That's it.

600? You're aware that only a quarter of the league is European, and there's almost 1,000 players. That would be 250, and that's also assuming every single one went back to Europe.

For f*** sake. Go be a father.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
If that’s the case... why are the players on the bench together?

Or in a locker room?

Players like Max Domi with Diabetes is high risk if he gets COVID.

This would obviously be worked out with the medical staff.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I never once said the medical community "agrees" with anything. I'm saying the medical community would allow them. Do you really think Bettman would do this without medical teams consent/advice?

I don't need to focus on anything. You need to focus on the league returning to play and medical safety not being mutually exclusive. That's it.

600? You're aware that only a quarter of the league is European, and there's almost 1,000 players. That would be 250, and that's also assuming every single one went back to Europe.

For f*** sake. Go be a father.

Yes. 250 Europeans with families. If you have wife and a child that means 250 + your wife and child.

Again... are you fine with eliminating the travel bans?

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This would obviously be worked out with the medical staff.

Yeah. It’s working out real swell for folks with Diabetes.

Nothing to worry about there.

You do realize the absolute absurdity of arguing that relaxing restrictions is safe a day after 100,000 Americans have died DESPITE the restrictions that have been in place?

Relaxed restrictions —- > Spreaders ——> Infections —-> Death

What’s a good number of people to sacrifice so you can watch a hockey game again?

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
Yes. 250 Europeans with families. Math is made feasible with a calculator.

Again... are you fine with eliminating the travel bans?

1) Not every European player has a family, some players are single

2) That assumes the players themselves actually want their family with them during the NHL plan

3) The return to play protocol may only last a few weeks for some players for obvious reasons (elimination, four rounds of playoffs is only two months)

I support the NHL having a plan. Travel bans can be lifted under certain circumstances.

This is mile marker 1 out of 26. It's a marathon. You're crying as if they're playing tomorrow.

You'll find out over the next month and a half what the safety protocols are. I have no issues with what they're trying to implement and mitigating health concerns.

Do you not think Max Domi would heed the advice of his medical staff in Montreal?

Countries like Sweden could make this difficult because every country has major internationally recognized concerns when it comes to COVID.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
Yeah. It’s working out real swell for folks with Diabetes.

Nothing to worry about there.

You do realize the absolute absurdity of arguing that relaxing restrictions is safe a day after 100,000 Americans have died DESPITE the restrictions that have been in place?

Relaxed restrictions —- > Spreaders ——> Infections —-> Death

What’s a good number of people to sacrifice so you can watch a hockey game again?

Where am I remotely arguing relaxing restrictions is safe? LOL.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
1) Not every European player has a family, some players are single

Right... which is why I went with an estimated 600. We don't just have players. We have scouts and staff. And some may have a partner. Some have 1 kid. Some have 2. If I assumed everyone was married with 2 kids we'd have 1,000.

Don't worry about the number... just focus on whether travel bans should be lifted.

Should they?

I support the NHL having a plan. Travel bans can be lifted under certain circumstances.

This is mile marker 1 out of 26. It's a marathon. You're crying as if they're playing tomorrow.

Sure. Have a plan.

But let's call out the obvious entitlement of thinking that they are exempt from the same restrictions that have put people out of business.

This is a rich man's play and like all rich men... they use the masses to help them... and them alone.

Do you not think Max Domi would heed the advice of his medical staff in Montreal?
If Domi's medical staff are advising him to sit on a bench and in a locker room, shoulder to shoulder with heavy breathing adults... in cold air no less where the virus can hang in the air on droplets for 8 to 14 minutes... then he needs new medical staff.

I would expect that players like Domi shouldn't play under this threat. And if he does, it would be peer pressure at it's peak.

Countries like Sweden could make this difficult because every country has major internationally recognized concerns when it comes to COVID.

Well, Sweden is the Epicenter of it in the EU. Interestingly... over 50% of the EU players in the NHL come from Sweden.

Now about that Travel Ban... good idea or not?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Where am I remotely arguing relaxing restrictions is safe? LOL.

Jesus man... at this point, I've got to think it's purposeful on your part.

You have restrictions.

To play, you need to relax those restrictions (on group size gathers, confined spaces, mask wearing in those confined spaces, travel quarantines, travel bans, etc).

And if you don't relax those restrictions for the general public, you need an exemption to do all of that.

An exemption from Restrictions is ALSO RELAXING RESTRICTIONS because... I hope you can put this together... you aren't following the restrictions like the rest of the world.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
Right... which is why I went with an estimated 600. We don't just have players. We have scouts and staff. And some may have a partner. Some have 1 kid. Some have 2. If I assumed everyone was married with 2 kids we'd have 1,000.

Don't worry about the number... just focus on whether travel bans should be lifted.

Should they?

Sure. Have a plan.

But let's call out the obvious entitlement of thinking that they are exempt from the same restrictions that have put people out of business.

This is a rich man's play and like all rich men... they use the masses to help them... and them alone.

If Domi's medical staff are advising him to sit on a bench and in a locker room, shoulder to shoulder with heavy breathing adults... in cold air no less where the virus can hang in the air on droplets for 8 to 14 minutes... then he needs new medical staff.

I would expect that players like Domi shouldn't play under this threat. And if he does, it would be peer pressure at it's peak.

Well, Sweden is the Epicenter of it in the EU. Interestingly... over 50% of the EU players in the NHL come from Sweden.

Now about that Travel Ban... good idea or not?

You came up with 600 randomly. Don't even pretend to act like that was on purpose. Scouts and staff? You're really overestimating the amount that would be in Europe.

Yes. It's a rich man's play. The NHL is the league that has the most to lose with this. Hence the plan. It's all about money.

If you have issues with the rich man's entitlement, sounds like you shouldn't be a fan of the billion dollar Toronto Maple Leafs, no?

Reactions: Letsgobolts21

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
Jesus man... at this point, I've got to think it's purposeful on your part.

You have restrictions.

To play, you need to relax those restrictions (on group size gathers, confined spaces, mask wearing in those confined spaces, travel quarantines, travel bans, etc).

And if you don't relax those restrictions for the general public, you need an exemption to do all of that.

An exemption from Restrictions is ALSO RELAXING RESTRICTIONS because... I hope you can put this together... you aren't following the restrictions like the rest of the world.

Allowing the NHL to return to play in a safe manner in an extremely isolated context where travel bans can be lifted under certain circumstances is not the same as re-opening the entire country and it has zero to do with sacrificing lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Letsgobolts21

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You came up with 600 randomly. Don't even pretend to act like that was on purpose. Scouts and staff? You're really overestimating the amount that would be in Europe.

Yes. It's a rich man's play. The NHL is the league that has the most to lose with this. Hence the plan. It's all about money.

If you have issues with the rich man's entitlement, sounds like you shouldn't be a fan of the billion dollar Toronto Maple Leafs, no?

So travel bans.

Even though there is a travel ban on travel from Europe, you are good with Europeans coming in to play games for you.

How about folks from China? Ok with an exemption there too?

You must be right? Because to welcome Europeans while banning the Chinese would be racist.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
So travel bans.

Even though there is a travel ban on travel from Europe, you are good with Europeans coming in to play games for you.

How about folks from China? Ok with an exemption there too?

You must be right? Because to welcome Europeans while banning the Chinese would be racist.

What players are coming in from China?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Allowing the NHL to return to play in a safe manner in an extremely isolated context where appropriate travel bans can be lifted under certain circumstances is not the same as re-opening the entire country and it has zero to do with sacrificing lives.

Relaxing restrictions increases the chances of infection. The more infection you have the more death you have.

I know you don’t want it to be connected but it is.

3 out of 4 NHL players are not Americans.

So if groups of people from other countries want to come down, congregate in 1 or 2 cities and use your facilities to play games...

.... you are cool with that

... as long as they promise to wear a mask when they are done, get tested a couple of times a week, take their temperature and report feeling unwell?

Cool beans.

Brazilian and Chinese Olympians can look forward to training on US soil if they want.

Just as long as they show it on TV so you can watch.

No reason to be against that as it would be “safe”.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
Relaxing restrictions increases the chances of infection. The more infection you have the more death you have.

I know you don’t want it to be connected but it is.

3 out of 4 NHL players are not Americans.

So if groups of people from other countries want to come down, congregate in 1 or 2 cities and use your facilities to play games...

.... you are cool with that

... as long as they promise to wear a mask when they are done, get tested a couple of times a week, take their temperature and report feeling unwell?

Cool beans.

Brazilian and Chinese Olympians can look forward to training on US soil if they want.

Just as long as they show it on TV so you can watch.

No reason to be against that as it would be “safe”.

You have no idea what the safety measures will be, as the league and medical officials have yet to work that out, so how can you possibly come up with these scenarios?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad