Speculation: NHL teams being told Detroit ready to deal

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I just dont think there are that many Buyers, and they would def like those non-rentals first. If the price is similar to Brassard on McDonagh.... a 1st would be used to buy McDonagh, not Green.

Don't forget though, McDonagh is under contract next year as well for 4.7mil. Teams that could have cap issues with impending RFA's may want to stay away from McDonagh for that reason. Green is a rental who has no effect on cap next year, plus he has a very unique skill set, I think it will be fine. Though you never know, you could be right. I hope not lol.

Reactions: BinCookin

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
With the current market and the fact Green is injured, I don't think he's returning a 1st rounder anymore.

If we get a good dman prospect I wouldn’t really care. It would probably be better then a first rounder. Or a good center prospect

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Don't forget though, McDonagh is under contract next year as well for 4.7mil. Teams that could have cap issues with impending RFA's may want to stay away from McDonagh for that reason. Green is a rental who has no effect on cap next year, plus he has a very unique skill set, I think it will be fine. Though you never know, you could be right. I hope not lol.

If a team is looking at McDonagh they'll make room for him. It's like Karlsson. They are trading not just for an upgrade but a guy to continue to build around. I still think that's also going to be one of the limiting factors in a Karlsson trade - teams aren't going to gut everything for him because it would defeat the point of dealing for him in the first place.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Unless somebody gets suckered into giving up a half dozen assets, I don't see Karlsson being dealt until this summer. McD might be a different story, in terms of impacting Green's value, but I think he still ends up netting a good return.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Brassard trade is good news for us in my opinion. That is a move that Tampa and other contenders really need to respond to.

I don't view that as a negative for Green. I think it should cause a lot of talks today.

Reactions: jkutswings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The Brassard trade is good news for us in my opinion. That is a move that Tampa and other contenders really need to respond to.

I don't view that as a negative for Green. I think it should cause a lot of talks today.
Yep. Any time that a contender adds a piece, it tends to get other contenders more interested in loading up. Especially when you hear things like TSN saying Pittsburgh is now the team to beat in the East, after adding Brassard.

I'd love to start seeing more talk from both Tampa and Vegas. It would be even better if something unexpected happened, and Washington swooped in to nab McDonough, leaving the Bolts and Knights to fight over Green.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yep. Any time that a contender adds a piece, it tends to get other contenders more interested in loading up. Especially when you hear things like TSN saying Pittsburgh is now the team to beat in the East, after adding Brassard.

I'd love to start seeing more talk from both Tampa and Vegas. It would be even better if something unexpected happened, and Washington swooped in to nab McDonough, leaving the Bolts and Knights to fight over Green.

I am fairly amazed that the Leafs and Blues are not hard in on McDonagh. They have the ammunition and need.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I am fairly amazed that the Leafs and Blues are not hard in on McDonagh. They have the ammunition and need.
A lot of this is like a game of chicken, though. Buyers try to out-wait sellers, so the prices come down. But then, once a domino like Brassard to Pittsburgh falls, demand makes an uptick.

My best guess is that Toronto and St Louis are hoping it's a quiet weekend leading up to the deadline, and they can poach a second tier guy cheaply on Monday. But hey, there's an exception to almost every rule, so who knows.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
A lot of this is like a game of chicken, though. Buyers try to out-wait sellers, so the prices come down. But then, once a domino like Brassard to Pittsburgh falls, demand makes an uptick.

My best guess is that Toronto and St Louis are hoping it's a quiet weekend leading up to the deadline, and they can poach a second tier guy cheaply on Monday. But hey, there's an exception to almost every rule, so who knows.

Boston is another one that I am stunned isn't massively in on McDonagh. They could really use him. He can be a long-term answer there too and they have lots of young prospect talent.

Tampa should be interested. Their biggest need though is a right handed PMD. So the Green links have always made a ton of sense.

They have Hedman and Sargachev on the left side... So if the price escalates I don't know that they would be as willing to chase on him as some seem to have out there. I understand the fear that it will impact Green. I am just not buying that he doesn't hold late first or second with a good prospect value regardless of what is going on with McDonagh and Karlsson.

But I think Brassard is the bell in terms of okay the market is open. It is going to be an interesting weeken.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Please add some players so your boy Crosby (joking) doesn’t 3 peat.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
With the current market and the fact Green is injured, I don't think he's returning a 1st rounder anymore.

If Holland doesn't return a 1st for Green, he will once again come up short and fail to do his job. You need to get a 1st rounder for him, play hardball. If he trades Green for anything less than a first round pick before Monday at like 2:45, then he failed. If for whatever reason it's getting close to 3:00, and nobody offers a 1st, then you take what you can get at that point.

I full on expect Ken Holland to fail though. Incoming 3rd round pick and no-name prospect for Green.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Please add some players so your boy Crosby (joking) doesn’t 3 peat.

If Murray doesn't get his game back I am not that worried about it.

I think the Penguins horseshoe run last year is going to be difficult to repeat. Three times, I just think it is unlikely, especially with a goalie that has been so inconsistent all year. Murray deserves a ton of credit for the last two runs, with that said I think he wears the goat horns this year as they bow out.

I am hoping Petr knocks them out in the first round. :popcorn:

I am just happy they made an aggressive move. A little stunned GMGM openly helped somebody he might face in the finals as a solid for helping him with his goaltender but I guess good on him.

It should help the sellers though and that is a good thing for us.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This would be awesome :handclap:

Ideal playoff scenario is Petr playing Ovie in the second round. Either the Caps finally get to the Conference finals or we get an improved pick. I like either scenario. Also what are the chances Mrazek isn't qualified if he knocks out the two time defending champion Penguins for Philly....

I will in all likelihood root for the picks, just saying I would not be unhappy if Ovie gets a cup. He is the player I root for when we are not in contention.

I would be interested in Bowey if we are sending Green their way. I wonder if he is available at all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ideal playoff scenario is Petr playing Ovie in the second round. Either the Caps finally get to the Conference finals or we get an improved pick. I like either scenario. Also what are the chances Mrazek isn't qualified if he knocks out the two time defending champion Penguins for Philly....

I will in all likelihood root for the picks, just saying I would not be unhappy if Ovie gets a cup. He is the player I root for when we are not in contention.

I would be interested in Bowey if we are sending Green their way. I wonder if he is available at all.

I’m with you, I’ve been a huge Backstrom fan for years. One of my favorite non-Wings players and criminally underrated, IMO. Would also like to see Ovie finally get one.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I’m with you, I’ve been a huge Backstrom fan for years. One of my favorite non-Wings players and criminally underrated, IMO. Would also like to see Ovie finally get one.

Both of those guys are in my top 5 non-Wings.

Kopitar has gotten his. I have a massive man crush on Barkov and Jack Eichel rounds out my top 5.

I think those last two are a problematic reality and of course Matthews. But we have some big time talent in our division, we are going to need high-end talent to match that. On the plus side I am excited to play those guys a lot.

Also I hope when Seattle gets in they drop the wildcard and just go top 4 in the playoffs. I could see some pretty heated rivalries as a result. The wildcard hurts what they are going for there, I hope they dump the wildcard when we go to 32 teams.

I am not against going after prospects if our scouts like them better than draft picks either. I think that will be the interesting thing it has been a while since we got a prospect I cared about from another team. That should change this week in my opinion.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If a team is looking at McDonagh they'll make room for him. It's like Karlsson. They are trading not just for an upgrade but a guy to continue to build around. I still think that's also going to be one of the limiting factors in a Karlsson trade - teams aren't going to gut everything for him because it would defeat the point of dealing for him in the first place.

Some teams sure, but other's just wont have the capspace for next year. Its not as simple as that, it all depends on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad