NHL team unveiling special jersey (UPD: Canes to Wear Whalers Throwbacks on 12/23/18)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
For years now posters here on HFBOARDS and elsewhere have been clamoring for the Hurricanes to wear Whaler jerseys.

Now that they actually making it a reality, some of the exact same people are today saying things "OMG how dare you so disrespectful rabble rabble!"

Amazing.

Whatever though, enough people will eat this up that the opinions of the "offended" will drown out in a sea of money.

I personally don't really care. Never was that interested in seeing these jerseys make a return but it's done now. Hell maybe I'll go for the hell of it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As tarheel said above... Its amazing how for the first 20 years of the franchise being in NC, we've been degraded because "you're really the Whalers, and the Canes are an aberration to the sport". Now that the Canes actually make good on all that talking down upon from the hockey community, now its "you shouldn't do that, you're not the Whalers".

Nah, sorry. I love this. I love this even more that it makes people upset. Even if not intentional, I love the fact this franchise is trolling that same hockey fan who has spent 20 years talking down to us by appropriating and using the one thing you thought would insult us most.
I have never talked about the Canes in that manner. I get cashing in on the appeal, but I don’t think it should be embraced by worn on-ice. To each their own.

Reactions: Nordiques1979

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
you're right, that's why I don't buy the whole "pay tribute blablabla", they just found a way to make money, and that's why I have a problem with this jersey brought back to live.

Oh well. I get people disagree with it and that is okay. Regardless though, it is one of the best jerseys/logos in history and will be very cool to see it on the ice again, which is why I dig it. Canes are gonna look damn good on December 23rd. You can't argue against that.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Oh well. I get people disagree with it and that is okay. Regardless though, it is one of the best jerseys/logos in history and will be very cool to see it on the ice again, which is why I dig it. Canes are gonna look damn good on December 23rd. You can't argue against that.
yes definitely, love the jersey, I'm all in for the retro waves in NHL, I'm a 90's kid, love it!

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Good to know, still means a move they should've made about a decade ago then.

The way I see it is this, there are probably two types of people that would hate or at least dislike the Canes selling Whaler gear:

1) Whaler fans
2) Canes fans that don't want to associate with their pre-NC years for whatever reason.

For group #1, they weren't buying their merchandise or attending their games, so nothing lost angering them from the Canes' perspective.

For group #2, if they exist, it'd at most be a mild annoyance and just not be something they'd buy.

So, you're effectively losing nothing and then getting money from your fans that would like to buy Whaler stuff and from visiting fans that'd be infinitely more interested in buying Whaler stuff compared to Hurricane stuff.

This is really a no risk/high reward move. The worst thing that could happen is that they wouldn't make as much money selling jerseys and hats and shirts as they would've wanted.
maybe the problem is here, why would people be more interested in buying Whalers stuff than Canes stuff?

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
The Whalers are not your history. The Coyotes understood it, same for the Avs, for the Jets...
Wrong. Whaler history is the early history of the Canes... IT'S THE SAME FRANCHIZE. Just moved, but Canes own the rights to Whaler history. If Jets chose to do honour their Atlanta past, the would have the right to, since that's partly who the are.
I think many Canes fans feel closer to their heritage because, for the past 20 years, we've been referred to as the CAR Whaler's, the Whaley Canes, etc, in an effort to not give us any recognition. Well, can't blame them for feeling comfortable with it now. This is all on the snide fans that wouldn't be excepting to them moving south. Nobody seemed to care when the Thrasher's moved north.

Reactions: SvechNecas

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
Hurricanes to bring back Whalers uniforms for 2 games

2 games!!? that is a joke

2ivucw.jpg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Dope, and I will buy one

lmao at some of the people in here trying to make some kind of big deal about this. #notyourhistory

Smart financial move for the new owner as well

It really is amazing how many people are making this akin to drunk college kids who wear native American costumes on Halloween.

This is a sports team trying to appeal to sports fans. There's nothing "deep" about this. As much as I think retro jerseys look like shit, people buy them at outrageous prices.

Now I sit back and wait for the day the Oklahoma City Thunder announce they will be playing in Seattle Supersonic jerseys. Oh boy can't wait for that one :laugh:

Last edited:

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Are people actually butt hurt by this? Franchises literally move all the time. Some of them even keep the same name after they move. What's wrong with a throwback to your own franchise from 20 years ago? Come on people. Let's not act like this is some sort of travesty.

I'd be willing to bet that game on Dec 23 is one of their most attended games of the year. Bravo to this franchise for giving the fans what they want (and not what a handful of HF posters are whining about)

Reactions: DaveG

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Those jersey's are awesome, I guess if you can't design your own semi decent jersey you can always reach in and grab one from the past even if it's not the same team.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
A franchise that is having attendance problems is honoring a failed team that could not support a hockey team in a northern market. Seems like a great idea.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I'm not bitter about it

Your team is profiting off a franchise and city they have nothing to do with . And no benefit is going back to them.

Sorry you don't see the issue

it's clearly not you can't separate the identity of a franchise with its city.

Whalers = Hartford, Connecticut
Canes = Raleigh NC
See the difference??

A franchise is a franchise, no matter where it decides to locate itself. It's not a subject of emotion or opinion. It is factual. If McDonalds suddenly changes it's name, logo, and colors, and they decide to operate exclusively in Antarctica, they are still the exact same company/franchise. They don't just start over at square one. They retain all the same rights and history of the McDonalds name. They retain all the money they made from before. It's the same franchise.

If you don't get that new uniforms is a way to increase merchandising selling, I can't help you.

Still, very pathetic to bring back the Whalers for two nights instead of use your own history.

Same franchise. Same history. When the franchise relocated to Carolina, what happened to all the players? Were they left behind in Hartford kicking rocks? No, they came along too because they're the same team and carry the same history. They didn't land in Greensboro and pretend they never played together before.

you're right, that's why I don't buy the whole "pay tribute blablabla", they just found a way to make money, and that's why I have a problem with this jersey brought back to live.

Do you walk in to a restaurant and say, "Well I'm pretty hungry. Starving actually but I just can't bring myself to buy an entree. They're just trying to make money!!!" It's a business. Believe it or not, even the Hartford Whalers were trying to make money way back in lil old Connecticut. As I'm sure you know, they left because the citizens didn't want to help build a new arena and the fans weren't filling the old one. Hmm, even back then it was all about money. Imagine that.

Reactions: wolfofthesteppes

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It is odd that they are trying to ride the coattails of the Whalers when the team has been in Carolina about as long as it was in Hartford (as an NHL team, not counting the WHA ). The Canes have been pathetic over the last decade but they were really good in the 2000’s, much better than the Whalers ever were in the NHL.

People seem to forget that the Canes won a cup, have been to two cups, at least 3 eastern conference finals since relocating, which is a lot better than most teams. The Whalers were on a 5 year consecutive playoff drought when they were relocated. Let’s not glorify them.

It’s just typical HFBoards these days, if it’s old, it’s great. These jerseys were outdated in 1992 when they made the switch to the blue.

I feel bad for the Canes that fans just can’t get over the friggin Whalers for some odd reason.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad