District of Champions
Step 1: Fire Forsythe
Step 2: Hire Bruce as assistant coach to fix the PP
Step 3: Profit
2ltF.gif

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Actually, the more I think about it, the Caps really should be on the phone with Bruce right now. If not as an official assistant coach (doubt they'll fire Forsythe unceremoniously in February), then something else that he'll be in some capacity with the team for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

It's mid-February, he's not going to find another job easily this season in such short time, so why not try to come back to your old team that he's loved and cherished and take one more shot at a ring with them? He's still an offensive mind, he may have some insight on how to make a stale PP fresh again. If all goes well, he could even have more options at landing spots this summer than before.

Instead of taking a hiatus for a couple of months, he should be diving right back into it. Come on Bruce! There is no rest for the wicked!

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bruce isn’t likely to land a new job this season, simply because it’s unlikely a new job will open up this season.

But Bruce will be an NHL head coach somewhere else very soon. His time ran out in Minnesota, as happens to many good coaches, but his overall record is still stellar.

Reminder that Peter Laviolette and Gerard Gallant are also unemployed right now (at least until Minny hires one of them).

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bruce is 65... are we sure he's going to get another gig? Only places that make sense are teams that are looking to win right now. Would actually like to see what he could do in San Jose.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bruce is 65... are we sure he's going to get another gig? Only places that make sense are teams that are looking to win right now. Would actually like to see what he could do in San Jose.
100% sure. I think he’s only had 1 full season as a coach where his team wasn’t an 100+ pt team.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
As far as we can tell, yes Woods survived.
Timing for Bruce is a bit odd. They did just blow a 2 goal lead, but the team has climbed back into playoff contention and Gabby turned Kevin Fiala into a potential star.
I looked around and didn't see anything so I'd assume he's still on the staff. Makes sense given his relationship with Evanson. I'd be shocked if both are still around after the season is over

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Bruce mentioned in an interview the Wild would be it for him.

He's got tons of cash and can find a job upstairs with any organization.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Bruce mentioned in an interview.the Wild would be it for him.

He's got tons of cash and can find a job upstairs with any organization.

I think he should come back to DC and be Director of Player Development - Cursing. Its a new position, tailor made just for Gabby. He could teach the draft picks the proper way to say "Motherf***er".

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
So there was a main board thread with quite a lot of talk about how Crosby isn't moving / skating as well since coming back from his surgery?

If this is true then he must be compensating for it because he's still racking up a lot of points since his return. Another 3 tonight. That's 17 points in 11 games.
And Zucker with 2 goals tonight. As somebody said a few days ago when this trade happened: the Pens just got better. And Murray has been playing a lot better in goal - boo!

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So there was a main board thread with quite a lot of talk about how Crosby isn't moving / skating as well since coming back from his surgery?

If this is true then he must be compensating for it because he's still racking up a lot of points since his return. Another 3 tonight. That's 17 points in 11 games.
And Zucker with 2 goals tonight. As somebody said a few days ago when this trade happened: the Pens just got better. And Murray has been playing a lot better in goal - boo!

Playing Pens is always good. If we win we will have a big morale boost. A road for the cup etc.

Also, teams are aligning the way we wont play Pens before 2nd round. For that both teams should win in the 1st. I'll take 1st round win any day even if Zucker is the next Messiah.

Reactions: Heath

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm concerned about how the Caps match up with all the likely Metro playoff teams, including the Pens. They've played like poop in the division and it's scary.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Getting out of the Metro is gonna be a bloodbath. The team that makes it will be exhausted. From the regular season grind AND the first two rounds of the playoffs. Cause let's face it no Atlantic team is getting a wildcard.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 8.30.34 AM.png

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm concerned about how the Caps match up with all the likely Metro playoff teams, including the Pens. They've played like poop in the division and it's scary.

What I find interesting is that the Caps have played the most games in division after barely playing any in most of the first half of the season. Its like they have all been stuffed in a short period of time. All after the Caps had built up a big lead and could coast.

It might be that record is somewhat misleading

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The Caps have been the dominant team in the Metro for half a decade now... other teams get up to play us, not the other eway around. For the other teams, maybe except Pittsburgh, playing the Caps is their "Super Bowl" and a win vs us gives them confidence. It doesn't see like we care that much about our division games anymore. Last year we got up to play TB in three of the most intense regular season games I've ever seen, and in the end it cost us a ton. It was some ill conceived regular season measuring stick thing. I don't really care to see that again. I want us to save every bit of energy for the playoffs.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'll take Columbus in the first round though I don't see any way they make the playoffs. They're the least talented by a mile and Seth Jones is out injured until the first round, at the earliest. Don't think their backup goalie can continue a .930 pace the rest of the way either. Torts should be Coach of the Year but you have to imagine they come down to Earth at some point, and the clock might have already struck midnight as they've lost four in a row and Carolina is only two points behind with two games in hand on them.

How I see it playing out:
  • A1 Tampa wins the President's Trophy and gets WC2 Carolina in the first round.
  • A2 Boston steamrolls A3 Toronto in the other Atlantic matchup.
  • Pittsburgh and Washington go down to the wire for the Metro crown, and the winner gets the Islanders who finish at WC1.
  • Philly takes M3 spot and gets the loser of the PIT/WAS race.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It's been a while since my annual rant against the loser point, but I did the math yesterday and sure enough, the worst idea in sports is having a particularly egregious effect this year. Here are the East standings without rewarding losses (RW = first tie break), and don't even get me started on the playoff format:

Atl
  1. TBL - 38W - 20L - 76P
  2. BOS - 35 - 23 - 70
  3. FLA - 30 - 27 - 60
Met
  1. WAS - 37W - 20L - 74P
  2. PIT - 35 - 21 - 70
  3. CAR - 33 - 24 - 66
Wildcard
  1. NYI - 33 - 23 - 66
  2. PHI - 32 - 16 - 64
  3. NYR - 30 - 27 - 60