League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He hasn’t been linked to the Rangers vacancy (yet), but Bruce Boudreau leading those young stars in NY would be terrifying to the rest of the division

That all depends on whom they hire.
To an extent, sure. But the Rangers went on a tear when Quinn had to leave the team for a couple weeks and their AHL coach took over. It’s pretty much addition by subtraction at this point.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He hasn’t been linked to the Rangers vacancy (yet), but Bruce Boudreau leading those young stars in NY would be terrifying to the rest of the division

To an extent, sure. But the Rangers went on a tear when Quinn had to leave the team for a couple weeks and their AHL coach took over. It’s pretty much addition by subtraction at this point.
Supposedly, all this turnover is about playoff expectations. Not sure BB's resume in that regard will impress Dolan, fair or not.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Supposedly, all this turnover is about playoff expectations. Not sure BB's resume in that regard will impress Dolan, fair or not.
The expectation of reaching the playoffs comes before the expectation of winning a Cup. Boudreau has not struggled at reaching the playoffs. Bruce’s teams are pretty much guaranteed to get 100+ points in the regular season and contend for division titles.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I dunno. The Oilers have beaten the Jets in their last 5 meetings and the Jets have lost 9 of their last 11 games. They are in freefall at the moment. Though it looks like they might get Ehlers back for the playoffs which should help. And Kyle Connor needs to regain his scoring touch ( I notice he got a goal tonight, first one in 9 games).

Oilers have the edge, but this is a new season now. Jets have to contain the Oilers stars with a porous defense. The Jets certainly have the forwards and goaltending to steal a series. Additionally, the Jets were trending downward mightily towards the end of the season.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Islanders wont win a game v the Pens

I thought this a few seasons ago and the Isles ended up sweeping the Pens. Additionally, the Isles took the Pens to seven games before that, however that was during the Tavares years.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought this a few seasons ago and the Isles ended up sweeping the Pens. Additionally, the Isles took the Pens to seven games before that, however that was during the Tavares years.

I understand that. The Islanders have just looked gassed and uncompetitive for weeks now.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Tom Wilson broke the Rangers. I’m dying. The NHL media, fans, and orgs were all piling on the Caps, meanwhile the Ragdolls set to work solving “the tom Wilson problem” and ripped their org apart.
Wilson indirectly got their president and GM fired, but this Quinn firing was coming either way. The writing was on the wall when they played far better under their AHL coach than they did under Quinn, and when they missed the playoffs again.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Wilson indirectly got their president and GM fired, but this Quinn firing was coming either way. The writing was on the wall when they played far better under their AHL coach than they did under Quinn, and when they missed the playoffs again.

Absolutely this. That first game where they killed us while Quinn was gone opened my eyes.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
McD is in a major slump. Lol.

A rather pedestrian 2 assist game against Montreal. Up to 104 points on the season with 1 game left to play. He’s at 1.89 points per game. (Mind boggling to think Gretzky had a career 1.92 points per game.)

BTC.

Drai with a goal and an assist. Up to 83 points on the year.

If Drai gets a point in the last game, Edmonton will have 2 players with greater than 1.5 points per game.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
The writing was on the wall when they played far better under their AHL coach than they did under Quinn, and when they missed the playoffs again.
If an NHL management team really made a decision like that on that "basis," wow. That's like trading Ovechkin because the team won a couple of games in a row with him out injured.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If an NHL management team really made a decision like that on that "basis," wow. That's like trading Ovechkin because the team won a couple of games in a row with him out injured.
Obviously that wasn’t the entirety of their decision. Quinn had been there 3 years now. But the continued lack of progress and playoff appearances on the team was already setting them up for a change, and the fact that the team responded better to another coach was the death knell.

It’s also nothing like trading Ovechkin. What has Quinn done to warrant him being worthy of those comparisons? It’s much more like trading Richard Panik because he had been outplayed by Daniel Sprong.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Obviously that wasn’t the entirety of their decision. Quinn had been there 3 years now. But the continued lack of progress and playoff appearances on the team was already setting them up for a change, and the fact that the team responded better to another coach was the death knell.

It’s also nothing like trading Ovechkin. What has Quinn done to warrant him being worthy of those comparisons? It’s much more like trading Richard Panik because he had been outplayed by Daniel Sprong.
I'm saying that drawing conclusions about a coach's value to your team on the basis of a couple of games when he wasn't there is like drawing conclusions about a key player's value to your team on the basis of a couple of games when he's out injured. I'm comparing the logic of the two things, not comparing Quinn to Ovechkin.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm saying that drawing conclusions about a coach's value to your team on the basis of a couple of games when he wasn't there is like drawing conclusions about a key player's value to your team on the basis of a couple of games when he's out injured. I'm comparing the logic of the two things, not comparing Quinn to Ovechkin.
The difference is that a key player like Ovechkin has demonstrated his value over a massive period of time. Quinn never demonstrated his value.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
The difference is that a key player like Ovechkin has demonstrated his value over a massive period of time. Quinn never demonstrated his value.
Sure, but that kind of proves my point. The Capitals have played very well for short stretches with him out at various times, but the huge volume of other data we have from his career shows that it would be foolish to conclude he wasn't a key driver of the team's success based on those short stretches.

The conclusions drawn from that about Quinn or in whatever other case might happen to align with what's accurate, but that doesn't make it a valid way to conclude anything.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sure, but that kind of proves my point. The Capitals have played very well for short stretches with him out at various times, but the huge volume of other data we have from his career shows that it would be foolish to conclude he wasn't a key driver of the team's success based on those short stretches.

The conclusions drawn from that about Quinn or in whatever other case might happen to align with what's accurate, but that doesn't make it a valid way to conclude anything.

Situation A - Team plays well with person A, team also plays well without person A
Situation B - Team plays poorly with person A, team plays well without person A

Do you see the difference now?

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Is it correct that the conference finals are going to be North vs West and East vs Central?

I saw a thread on the mains where it was suggested that the re-seeding could result in other conf matchups, such as North vs East.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Is it correct that the conference finals are going to be North vs West and East vs Central?

I saw a thread on the mains where it was suggested that the re-seeding could result in other conf matchups, such as North vs East.

Reseeding will happen after conference play concludes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad