League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Because Hall had two goals this year prior to the TDL and is a free agent after the season and that would be a ridiculous price to pay for a rental.
Right but my understanding is that he was willing to sign an extension wherever he landed because he also had a NMC. So it wouldn’t have been a rental. But I guess he preferred Boston.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Right but my understanding is that he was willing to sign an extension wherever he landed because he also had a NMC. So it wouldn’t have been a rental. But I guess he preferred Boston.

Boston also has the cap space to ink him to a new contract. The Caps unfortunately don't... we would have trouble signing that bag of chips that everyone offers in trades.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
the Caps do. Plenty of assets. It’s how much do they need to spend.

Eichel would be a crazy add. Like holy smokes

I'm not talking about quantity, rather about the quality of the top-piece going back.

Half of the teams in the NHL could offer a better top piece than the Capitals for Eichel, that's what i'm saying.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I'm not talking about quantity, rather about the quality of the top-piece going back.

Half of the teams in the NHL could offer a better top piece than the Capitals for Eichel, that's what i'm saying.
Yeah, we have at most 3 A-grade prospects and even then I’m not sure most of the league would see Alexeyev and Hendrix as prime prospects. Alexeyev’s ceiling is generally thought to be third pairing, second pairing at most, while Lapierre is a big unknown because of those injuries. A few years from now his value might be Sky high given his skill and talent, but I don’t see it yet.

McMichael is basically the only quality asset we’ve got, and he’s still not a guaranteed future NHLer, let alone star. Wilson, Kuzy and Vrana/Mantha are our only NHL players of any notable value while still young.

We’re reaching the point now where our cupboards are pretty bare, our lineup getting older and key draft picks traded. If you’re spending big assets on a guy at the TDL, it made sense that we went for long-term locked in value in Mantha rather than a guy who might flop and leave in Hall.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I'm excited about the Oilers/Jets series. I like both teams and I remember some past series. The 1990 series was a good one, especially with Ellet's last few seconds goal.

I dunno. The Oilers have beaten the Jets in their last 5 meetings and the Jets have lost 9 of their last 11 games. They are in freefall at the moment. Though it looks like they might get Ehlers back for the playoffs which should help. And Kyle Connor needs to regain his scoring touch ( I notice he got a goal tonight, first one in 9 games).

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Yeah, we have at most 3 A-grade prospects and even then I’m not sure most of the league would see Alexeyev and Hendrix as prime prospects. Alexeyev’s ceiling is generally thought to be third pairing, second pairing at most, while Lapierre is a big unknown because of those injuries. A few years from now his value might be Sky high given his skill and talent, but I don’t see it yet.

McMichael is basically the only quality asset we’ve got, and he’s still not a guaranteed future NHLer, let alone star. Wilson, Kuzy and Vrana/Mantha are our only NHL players of any notable value while still young.

We’re reaching the point now where our cupboards are pretty bare, our lineup getting older and key draft picks traded. If you’re spending big assets on a guy at the TDL, it made sense that we went for long-term locked in value in Mantha rather than a guy who might flop and leave in Hall.

Alexeyev ceiling a third pair defenseman? lol k. He might become that but that’s not his ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad