League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Post-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Martinez looked fantastic for Vegas every time I watched them this year.

Acquired from LA for pretty much the same as Dillon...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Went to Montreal's board to see what people thought of their pick and they literally have it labeled as 'HOCKEY TALK ONLY". Not a single thread talking about the gigantic elephant in the room. So yeah... hockey culture kinda sucks, no?
Reminds me of when Penn State got penalized after the Sandusky scenario, and their fans spent years bitching about how "the innocent were being punished." They really didn't get that it was about trying to change the culture.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
How does this happen. A cap dump for absolutely nothing. My mind is boggled.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Something weird is going on in the Vegas front office/goalie crease. Dave Prior has always been more than a typical goalie coach. In Washington he helped scout and select goalies in the draft (something that a number of goalie coaches do, to be fair). In Vegas, his title wasn't goalie coach, it was "Director of Goaltending." He got input not just on coaching the goalies, but what goalies they target in trade or free agency. He was even rumored to have input on what goalies start a particular game. Then in February 2020, Prior wasn't on stage when Vegas traded for Lehner. He was back in Ontario, relieved of his duties (although the team was hush-hush and tried to claim he was still on the job).

Something happened around the time that McCrimmon decided to target Lehner via trade, and Prior was ousted. Now MAF is gone, for nothing.

MackenKracken

Jan 31, 2013
VA
NHL network on siriusxm just reported MAF learned of the trade through twitter…. how incredibly disrespectful, players around the league recognize that shit. Vegas FO continuing to make odd decisions.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
NHL network on siriusxm just reported MAF learned of the trade through twitter…. how incredibly disrespectful, players around the league recognize that shit. Vegas FO continuing to make odd decisions.
I imagine the speed at which shit gets leaked to twitter these days is factor in that. This one was leaked before the trade papers had even been sent to the league.

Jun 15, 2007

I'm sure he knew he was being traded. Spending 13m on goaltending is not sustainable.

At least he went to a world class city. Not like he got shipped off to Winnipeg.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Flower’s situation plus Dillon being traded one year into a four year deal pretty perfectly captures why I (almost) never side with teams or ownership over players and why players should almost exclusively only look to do what’s best for them and their families. Except for a rarified few players, teams don’t give a shit about them and will cut bait as soon as they think there’s a better option.

Also, how long before Holtby signing a one year vet minimum deal in DC is announced??

Jun 15, 2007
I'm sure he knew he was being traded. Spending 13m on goaltending is not sustainable.

At least he went to a world class city. Not like he got shipped off to Winnipeg.

Apparently I was wrong. Lmao. MAF might just retire.

McPhee should know better.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't know if Holtby would sign a min prove it deal to back up Samsonov. Maybe he could. But that train has left the station IMO

Holtby was a workhorse here getting the bulk of starts, to the point where he struggled during the cup run (in the reg season) and had to get rest. Now that he's been brought out, I don't know if they'd bring him back, whether he'd still get most of the starts or even accept deferral to someone who once backed him up.

I mean if he's fine with it sure but I don't know. Honestly from what I've seen the last years he was here he has gotten worse after the cup run. Maybe he plays better when he doesn't play as much. But my point is I'm not going to re-sign him based on nostalgia reasons because cup.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Holtby depends on whether or not other teams are interested. He's not coming back here to be Anderson 2.0 if he can be 1A or 1B somewhere.

Reactions: John Price

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You would think Edmonton would be poking around at these UFA goaltenders. They’d be foolish not to try something different. Adding old man Duncan Keith and signing Hyman doesn’t exactly scream contender

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Flower’s situation plus Dillon being traded one year into a four year deal pretty perfectly captures why I (almost) never side with teams or ownership over players and why players should almost exclusively only look to do what’s best for them and their families. Except for a rarified few players, teams don’t give a shit about them and will cut bait as soon as they think there’s a better option.

Also, how long before Holtby signing a one year vet minimum deal in DC is announced??
Because they were traded? Don't they still get to play and still get paid? Players use teams, teams use players. I don't like LV apparently not telling fluery, thats low if true, but I don't see why these two trades point to teams being mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad