League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Post-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Flower’s situation plus Dillon being traded one year into a four year deal pretty perfectly captures why I (almost) never side with teams or ownership over players and why players should almost exclusively only look to do what’s best for them and their families. Except for a rarified few players, teams don’t give a shit about them and will cut bait as soon as they think there’s a better option.
Exactly. In the eternal struggle between labor and ownership, I'm gonna side with labor. (Even when the "labor" is composed of millionaire athletes, because owners are billionaire businesspeople making their money off the labor.)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Holtby depends on whether or not other teams are interested. He's not coming back here to be Anderson 2.0 if he can be 1A or 1B somewhere.

I think if they can agree on the money, Holtby returns. I understand he still owns his home in the area(I could be wrong). He has been in Washington this summer because he wanted to. I think Samsonov is enough of a reason for Holtby to think he will have at least one shot to play starters games.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Flower’s situation plus Dillon being traded one year into a four year deal pretty perfectly captures why I (almost) never side with teams or ownership over players and why players should almost exclusively only look to do what’s best for them and their families. Except for a rarified few players, teams don’t give a shit about them and will cut bait as soon as they think there’s a better option.

Also, how long before Holtby signing a one year vet minimum deal in DC is announced??

I would hesitate to blame NHL teams for severe and unplanned for salary cap problems. We all know that was based on the pandemic.

Reactions: Corby78

Jun 15, 2007
I was reading and I just found this out

Ex-Rangers player Tony DeAngelo bares soul in interview

>the MAGA supporter who seven years earlier as an 18-year-old had been suspended by both the Ontario Hockey League and his Sarnia team for violating the league’s harassment, abuse and diversity policy. Not that it makes this any less heinous in nature, but The Post has learned that the slur he directed at a Caucasian teammate was ethnic in nature, not related to race.

So it wasn't a black teammate and it wasn't the n-word.

Being of Italian descent I can see how he might not consider ethnic slurs against white people like Italians, Poles, Irish, etc are a big deal.

I don't know, this entire time I thought he was like a KKK level racist when he might just be an edgelord.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Something weird is going on in the Vegas front office/goalie crease. Dave Prior has always been more than a typical goalie coach. In Washington he helped scout and select goalies in the draft (something that a number of goalie coaches do, to be fair). In Vegas, his title wasn't goalie coach, it was "Director of Goaltending." He got input not just on coaching the goalies, but what goalies they target in trade or free agency. He was even rumored to have input on what goalies start a particular game. Then in February 2020, Prior wasn't on stage when Vegas traded for Lehner. He was back in Ontario, relieved of his duties (although the team was hush-hush and tried to claim he was still on the job).

Something happened around the time that McCrimmon decided to target Lehner via trade, and Prior was ousted. Now MAF is gone, for nothing.

I would love to know why Vegas felt like they had to lie about and hide that they fired a coach?

AK4774

Jul 27, 2021
Crap, Schmidt would have been perfect here. Shame the cap made it unworkable.

Mobile, good in transition, great positional defender, decently physical in front of the goalie. Good on both sides. Could have played with either Carlson or Orlov depending on the situation

AK4774

Jul 27, 2021
I was reading and I just found this out

Ex-Rangers player Tony DeAngelo bares soul in interview

>the MAGA supporter who seven years earlier as an 18-year-old had been suspended by both the Ontario Hockey League and his Sarnia team for violating the league’s harassment, abuse and diversity policy. Not that it makes this any less heinous in nature, but The Post has learned that the slur he directed at a Caucasian teammate was ethnic in nature, not related to race.

So it wasn't a black teammate and it wasn't the n-word.

Being of Italian descent I can see how he might not consider ethnic slurs against white people like Italians, Poles, Irish, etc are a big deal.

I don't know, this entire time I thought he was like a KKK level racist when he might just be an edgelord.

I mean, he's friends with lots of black nhlers, Marc Staal himself came out and emphatically denied that Ada was in any way racist in NY, Miller denied that they had any beef.

But I get it. People get very invested in having a villain to punch down on. It's addictive and has been since the beginning of time.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Benning is so bad… signed Virtanen and Holtby last year and now bought both out. Despite Holtby tending downward and analytics indicating Virtanen was not likely to repeat his performance. Let their best trade deadline acquisition walk (Toffoli), who they could have had for the same cap hit as Holtby, and dumped a perfectly capable Troy Stetcher when they had a shortage of RHD. And then trade for Nate Schmidt and now dump Nate Schmidt.

just completely blew it last offseason and they kept him around for another go lmao

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Benning is so bad… signed Virtanen and Holtby last year and now bought both out. Despite Holtby tending downward and analytics indicating Virtanen was not likely to repeat his performance. Let their best trade deadline acquisition walk (Toffoli), who they could have had for the same cap hit as Holtby, and dumped a perfectly capable Troy Stetcher when they had a shortage of RHD. And then trade for Nate Schmidt and now dump Nate Schmidt.

just completely blew it last offseason and they kept him around for another go lmao

General managers cannot fail, they can only be failed.

Jun 15, 2007
With all these cap shedding moves, Seattle's plan to weaponize their cap might be going up in smoke. I can't see too many opportunities left for them to improve their opening night roster.

Let's hope they can take our badge of shame from us.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
With all these cap shedding moves, Seattle's plan to weaponize their cap might be going up in smoke. I can't see too many opportunities left for them to improve their opening night roster.

Let's hope they can take our badge of shame from us.
I was expecting Seattle to have acted on some of these by now, but instead they’re letting Arizona and Chicago get all the assets. I was convinced they had a plan, but now it is really starting to seem like Francis overplayed his hand.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I'm now wondering if Francis not only over played his hand at the draft, but did he burn bridges too with the other GMs and they are reluctant to deal with him? He has hardly done any sorts of moves since then. He still has all his cap space. Unless he's going for all the Free Agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad