League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Why do we care about Erik Gudbranson?

There are bunch of players i don't want near our team but i'm more than happy that they find other teams to work for. Did i miss something about Gubranson or why is he relevant?

Reactions: Corby78

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
There's a larger story to be told about meritocracy being a myth, and how credentials matter more than skill, effectiveness, and hard work.

But in reality I just think it's funny seeing NHL GMs repeatedly punch themselves in the groin with signings that everyone knew would be bad from day 1. Hockey is just entertainment after all!

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Because NHL GM’s don’t also make plenty of good signings as well….

upload_2021-9-29_9-7-22.gif

Reactions: g00n and Calicaps

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
There's a larger story to be told about meritocracy being a myth, and how credentials matter more than skill, effectiveness, and hard work.

But in reality I just think it's funny seeing NHL GMs repeatedly punch themselves in the groin with signings that everyone knew would be bad from day 1. Hockey is just entertainment after all!

But isn't that true of not just NHL GMs, but all sporting GMs? And also true out there in the real world? And things that even we do personally, while not being a NHL signing, are also things that we know are dumb, shouldn't be doing, knowing it will end in a disaster, and yet do it anyways? It's one thing to theorize or try to practicalize a true meritocracy, it's another thing to fully realize it. People like the familiar. It's the way life goes.

People do dumb stuff. It happens. Especially under pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n and Hivemind

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
But isn't that true of not just NHL GMs, but all sporting GMs? And also true out there in the real world? And things that even we do personally, while not being a NHL signing, are also things that we know are dumb, shouldn't be doing, knowing it will end in a disaster, and yet do it anyways? It's one thing to theorize or try to practicalize a true meritocracy, it's another thing to fully realize it. People like the familiar. It's the way life goes.

People do dumb stuff. It happens. Especially under pressure.

Absolutely. I hope we laugh at everyone who makes these types of mistakes! And I hope we realize that just because someone holds a high-level position somewhere doesn't mean that they aren't huge morons just like the rest of us!

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Absolutely. I hope we laugh at everyone who makes these types of mistakes! And I hope we realize that just because someone holds a high-level position somewhere doesn't mean that they aren't huge morons just like the rest of us!

Everyone makes mistakes. That's a given. What separates the cream of the crop is the ability to recognize those mistakes and make the necessary moves to correct them. And sometimes that comes down to just admitting the mistake in the first place. So yes, that is what separates the good GMs from the bad ones. It's a harsh job because there is only 1 GM each year that can be considered successful. That means 96.9% of GMs fail in any given year, but that doesn't mean all 96.9% of GMs are moronic.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oilers' Josh Archibald sidelined indefinitely with myocarditis — NBC Sports

Archibald is the second Oilers player to be diagnosed with myocarditis, following goalie Alex Stalock. Stalock is going to miss the entire 2021-22 season. He was diagnosed with myocarditis after contracting COVID-19 during the 2020-21 season.

It was revealed at the start of training camp that Archibald was the only unvaccinated player on the Oilers’ roster.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Eichel to caps, loser of the McMichael/Lapierre competition to Buffalo. Dahlin needs a steady partner in Justin Schultz as well. Some picks too. Consider it done

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
LTIRing Backstrom would solve Eichel's salary for this year. But what about next year? Eichel's contract has 4 more years after this one. Unless you are considering removing someone significant (Kuzy?)

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Right now, couldn't you put both Backstrom and Eichel on LTIR?
LTIRing Backstrom would solve Eichel's salary for this year. But what about next year? Eichel's contract has 4 more years after this one. Unless you are considering removing someone significant (Kuzy?)

Each year we LTIR one of the two of them, alternating, and then use both in the playoffs. Pro sports are a copycat league thing or some similar cliché, and TB has show us all the blueprint.

I should be GM!

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Eichel to caps, loser of the McMichael/Lapierre competition to Buffalo. Dahlin needs a steady partner in Justin Schultz as well. Some picks too. Consider it done
I have concerns about Backstrom and his future. Rather hold on to McM and Lapierre and instead send Kuzy, Samsonov and AA. Acquiring Eichel is about the future, like next season. Roll with Eichel at 1C, HL and McM can compete for the 2C position with the loser getting the 3C position and drop Eller to the 4C position for the 22/23 season.

Eichel
Lapierre/McM
McM/Lapierre
Eller

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
sounds like a problem to figure out later! But idk, probably ship Kuzy out. Or wait and see if one of our old guys gets hurt.

Jun 15, 2007
So it's mental health and not substance abuse according to his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad