League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Always attack the “witness” first to discredit….pretty standard…much harder to address the points. He could play the game a little too.

Reactions: g00n

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So you don't know anything about Nilan. Cool.

Nor did you read what he actually said, because your mockery is the opposite of his comments.

Whatever.
Nonsense. I read it all. He offered half a defense for the deterrent factor, and as I've said, beating a guy up after he chicken wings your dude and the refs miss the call, is barely any revenge or policing at all. It's purely emotional. He's just offering justification for his role, even though his role no longer exists...because it's no longer needed. He's clearly also not making a case that we go back to the 70s era of fighting.

Reactions: twabby

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Always attack the “witness” first to discredit….pretty standard…much harder to address the points.
Nilan basically said what we all said, anyway: don't ban fighting, you can't prove a direct link to suicide, the cheap shots and head hits are the biggest factor by far.

The only thing mildly controversial might be his opinion on players policing themselves which is not just his own opinion but pretty much canon among players, which is the set of opinions that matter because they're the ones who either respect it or not.

10 years ago, many other players and officials said the same thing Nilan said:

You can't just look at penalty numbers and assess the impact or value of fighting in the game. It's not a direct relationship, and you can't prove the existence of something that DOESN'T happen (the avoided cheaper shot). So you have to listen to the guys who actually do it for a living.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
NHL fighting got particularly dumb when the league started mandating players wear helmets with visors. How many punches even land on skin these days?

Reactions: Calicaps

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
The Preds are just crazy these days.
It's all because they were playing so badly the front office "punished" them by not letting them go on a team trip to see U2.

I would also reward my employer by being much better at my job if they prevented me from seeing U2 - cos they suck.

(To clarify: they have sucked for about 30 years now. If they'd stopped in 1993 that would have been fine with me)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Brutal scoreboard day.

Further from the Playoffs, closer to the no-man's land.

Jun 15, 2007
This board is so clique-ish and that's partly why I barely post anymore (the other reason being the caps suck ofc).

You can always tell which posters will agree with which posters, no matter now wrong or deranged they are.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
This board is so clique-ish and that's partly why I barely post anymore (the other reason being the caps suck ofc).

You can always tell which posters will agree with which posters, no matter now wrong or deranged they are.
I mean there are some long time posters that have been interacting with each other long time. And because of all that time it comes pretty clear which ones that generally align with you.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

You mean like the smart people agree with smart people. And the dummies agree with the dummies? Haha.

I’m not sure which category I am in. Get likes and flames from all!

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

I mean, it sometimes looks like people are more interested in discussing each other than hockey, and the mods permit it :dunno:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I mean, it sometimes looks like people are more interested in discussing each other than hockey, and the mods permit it :dunno:
Some of the folks guilty of this are former mods themselves.

(I also realize the irony in that this comment is also guilty of discussing other posters rather than hockey :dunno: )

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

(I also realize the irony in that this comment is also guilty of discussing other posters rather than hockey :dunno: )
I mean this is going to happen it is just human nature.

Admittedly, and traditionally, the mods for this forum give a little room when it comes to some venting between posters before it goes into full personal attack mode which will be addressed immediately. I believe most realize keep it light in that area. And to be honest getting bent of shape for someone posting in a forum seems like a waste in psychic energy (as I age).

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don’t see it as being “cliquey” here. It’s not high school.

As @usiel points out, some people have been on this board a LONG time. Heck, it’s probably been around 25+ years for me (which is crazy), so there are some posters I’ve gotten to know well. Like most long term relationships, you will quarrel with people over time. And disagree. And even fight.

But most in here I respect regardless of that. To me that’s what it’s about. Respect.

There’s only poster on here that I don’t respect, and that’s the one poster I’ve had to put on ignore. IMO that’s what that function means to me (I respect you so little, that I simply will not hear you). And why I wouldn’t use it cavalierly.

There will always be people that you connect with more than an others. And will side with. But it’s certainly not uniform.

Last edited:

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I don’t see it as being “cliquey” here. It’s not high school.

As @usiel points out, some people have been on this board a LONG time. Heck, it’s probably been around 25+ years for me (which is crazy), so there are some posters I’ve gotten to know well. Like most long term relationships, you will quarrel with people over time. And disagree. And even fight.

But most in here I respect regardless of that. To me that’s what it’s about. Respect.

There’s only poster on here that I don’t respect, and that’s the one poster I’ve had to put on ignore. IMO that’s what that function means to me (I respect you so little, that I simply will not hear you). And why I wouldn’t use it cavalierly.

There will always be people that you connect with more than an others. And will side with. But it’s certainly not uniform.
Look at the joined dates. And that is not even accurate since some of us OGs were around in the previous version HFboards that didn't carry over a joined date.

Have to say how much a site that was for mostly NHL draftniks was just an amazing discovery at the time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Passive-aggressive shitposting is still shitposting. Just with less courage.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Look at the joined dates. And that is not even accurate since some of us OGs were around in the previous version HFboards that didn't carry over a joined date.

Have to say how much a site that was for mostly NHL draftniks was just an amazing discovery at the time.
and many of us communicated on other forums before hf... official boards? sparrows icq?

Reactions: g00n and usiel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad