League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-2 Regular Season Edition, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Caps blew it by getting swept (handily) by the Isles. Pretty pathetic. The could’ve had 3rd sewn up by now.

Alas — it’s Panthers or bust
What did you think of the Pens getting completely outplayed by lowly Philly the other day,
or the many other Spoilers that happen all the time, every stretch, of every season without fail?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Holy lol at NSH, a single point would've guaranteed WC1 and avoiding COL instead of CGY
last game of the night, they know DAL won already
jump out to a 4-0 lead vs. ARI
give up 5 unanswered
blow the game, now face Avs, ouch
nice job Yotes, that is what you call playing spoiler

and Congrats to Carey Price, in gm 82 getting his first W since last year's Final, must've felt great to finally get one, and in front of the home fans

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Holy lol at NSH, a single point would've guaranteed WC1 and avoiding COL instead of CGY
last game of the night, they know DAL won already
jump out to a 4-0 lead vs. ARI
give up 5 unanswered
blow the game, now face Avs, ouch
nice job Yotes, that is what you call playing spoiler

and Congrats to Carey Price, in gm 82 getting his first W since last year's Final, must've felt great to finally get one, and in front of the home fans
Yeah the Nashville meltdown was a shocker. But then I read that Saros is out for 4-6 weeks and they'll be relying on Rittich as their playoff goalie. His numbers have been worse than our goalies' this season.

So I don't think it matters whether it's COL or CGY. They're gonna get blown out of the water.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

This is a name I’d be interested in as a Washington fan.

Scheifele has been pretty brutal defensively but he’s does generate offense and produce, including in the postseason.

I’d be interested to see if he could turn around his defensive game in DC, as Kuznetsov did after Laviolette got here.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

Scheifele has been pretty brutal defensively but he’s does generate offense and produce, including in the postseason.

I’d be interested to see if he could turn around his defensive game in DC, as Kuznetsov did after Laviolette got here.

You can’t sign a guy like Mark Scheifele and then be pissed that McMichael isn’t getting a spot. Kuzy, Backstrom, and Dowd aren’t going anywhere. So McMichaels path to a center is Ellers spot. That is the main reason reason I am in favor of trading Eller in the offseason. The Cap space will be nice, but moreso that McMichael can get a full time center role.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You can’t sign a guy like Mark Scheifele and then be pissed that McMichael isn’t getting a spot. Kuzy, Backstrom, and Dowd aren’t going anywhere. So McMichaels path to a center is Ellers spot. That is the main reason reason I am in favor of trading Eller in the offseason. The Cap space will be nice, but moreso that McMichael can get a full time center role.
Basically any of those names on your list aside of Backstrom could shift to wing.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Sure I can. The reason I’m irked about McMichael not getting ice time is because I think he’s a better ES player right now than Eller and Backstrom. I don’t think he’s a better ES player than Scheifele, and I’m still not sure of how high McMichael’s ceiling really is.

Center and goaltender are easily the two positions of greatest need. Perhaps McMichael can take the next step, but if Laviolette is still around next season does anyone really trust him to trust McMichael? I don’t. And they can’t keep wasting more years at the end of Ovechkin’s career. So they may need to seriously look outside of the organization for help if McMichael doesn’t take the next step and/or he isn’t trusted.

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Not Dowd (you leave the 4th line alone). Not Backstrom. I guess you could move Kuzy but that seems highly unlikely. You could continue to push McMichael to Wing but he has shown better at Center. I will say that I like Scheifele as a Right Center; love his size; over a point per game; and two years left on his contract. So what would you give to get him. And how would you line them up?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Not Dowd (you leave the 4th line alone). Not Backstrom. I guess you could move Kuzy but that seems highly unlikely. You could continue to push McMichael to Wing but he has shown better at Center. I will say that I like Scheifele as a Right Center; love his size; over a point per game; and two years left on his contract. So what would you give to get him. And how would you line them up?

I’m not really advocating going after Scheifele right now. More just a fun thought experiment and a name to keep an eye on.

I’d like to see how the postseason shakes out before really advocating for specific moves.

Reactions: DWGie26

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Pretty sure it would be the Jets fans that would be concerned about CMM's ice-time if we were to acquire Scheifele.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I’m not really advocating going after Scheifele right now. More just a fun thought experiment and a name to keep an eye on.

I’d like to see how the postseason shakes out before really advocating for specific moves.
I'm not sure how good a fit Scheifele would be in the Caps locker room. I think he has a pretty big ego. There are stories about his obsession with fitness and diet and him openly questioning the commitment of teammates with regards to fitness and diet.

Obviously they are rumours, but if true, that would make him seem kind of obnoxious (imo)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not sure how good a fit Scheifele would be in the Caps locker room. I think he has a pretty big ego. There are stories about his obsession with fitness and diet and him openly questioning the commitment of teammates with regards to fitness and diet.

Obviously they are rumours, but if true, that would make him seem kind of obnoxious (imo)

Sounds like a Brooks Orpik replacement to me!

I’ve heard about the rumors about how Winnipeg has a pretty toxic locker room, so it’d be a reason to stay away from him. However Washington needs a serious talent infusion in order to be competitive next year. Scheifele probably isn’t the guy to target but they might have to roll the dice on an incomplete player if they have high upside and can potentially move the needle.

Reactions: PlushMinus

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I think there are teams that have almost impenetrable locker rooms: Pens, Caps, Kings, Blackhawks spring to mind - yes all former Cup winners. Which of course plays a massive part in it

I'd like Bmac gone in the offseason. We need a new face and new energy, etc - ultimately I think it's down to ownership. If the boss signals no change then there won't be any change :)

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Absolutely. It's him or Chychrun for me this offseason and of course a goalie.
Post automatically merged:

Sounds like a Brooks Orpik replacement to me!

I’ve heard about the rumors about how Winnipeg has a pretty toxic locker room, so it’d be a reason to stay away from him. However Washington needs a serious talent infusion in order to be competitive next year. Scheifele probably isn’t the guy to target but they might have to roll the dice on an incomplete player if they have high upside and can potentially move the needle.

I blame the Trouba BS for the mediocrity of Winnipeg. It went all down hill with that stuff. I used to love the guy, but despise him now.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Trochek form Carolina could be interesting as well. Right stick. Big body. Can play RW or Center. His 4.6M contract is expiring.

Reactions: searle

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I hope Tampa crushes Toronto. Other than the Caps series that's the one I will be focusing on.

Reactions: crab

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Nothing better than NHL playoffs. I mostly follow the Caps but i love the pre-game snack tonight with 4 games on the docket.

Reactions: zappa4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2