League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-2 Regular Season Edition, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The reason the top line has been so dominant so far this year is coz of Kuzy. Honestly I think this is the best he has looked with the Caps.

I agree and disagree with this. This year's version of Kuznetsov is largely similar to last year's so in that way it's no different. But he's certainly been an upgrade over last year's version of Nicklas Backstrom, so in that way the top line is quite a bit better.

However, I'd argue that this year's top line is so dominant compared to last year's because of Alex Ovechkin playing lights out as compared to a relatively disappointing season last year. Ovechkin is never going to be confused for a Selke candidate, but the numbers suggest that on top of great individual totals so far he has also played a more complete 200 foot game. He's legitimately been a top 2 player in the NHL so far, behind probably only Connor McDavid.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You guys look into to stats way too much to judge how a player is playing.
Stats don't tell you everything.

I assure you, people here do not look at stats very much to judge how a player is playing. And that's a problem.

"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them."

-Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master from the hit Star Wars franchise

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I assure you, people here do not look at stats very much to judge how a player is playing. And that's a problem.

"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them."

-Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master from the hit Star Wars franchise
And some people look at stats exclusively, which is a bigger problem.

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.
― Mark Twain

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

― Mark Twain

upload_2021-11-5_10-32-21.gif

Reactions: HTFN and Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The reason the top line has been so dominant so far this year is coz of Kuzy. Honestly I think this is the best he has looked with the Caps.

He's been better than last year imo but Ovie is possessed and that's really driving the top line.

I don't know for sure what's gotten into him but the talk of catching Gretzky is my guess. I think he's got his sights set on that record now and has decided nothing is going to stop him from being the best of all time, and it's showing in EVERY FREAKIN SHIFT.

When was the last time you saw Ovie play like this in the regular season, for this many games in a row? Has to be 10 years ago before all the DOPS type crap.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

― Mark Twain

The irony being, at least on HFCaps, it's not the "advanced stats" crowd that is skipping watching the games in favor of casual stats reading. It's some of the "traditional"/boxcar stats folks who just look at the point totals and TOI to make their opinions.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The irony being, at least on HFCaps, it's not the "advanced stats" crowd that is skipping watching the games in favor of casual stats reading. It's some of the "traditional"/boxcar stats folks who just look at the point totals and TOI to make their opinions.

Well this isn't true at all.

Reactions: HTFN and Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

He's got a hate-on for Tex and follows him around talking shit. That's who he's referring to, imo. But we also know a prominent "fancy stats" guy here has admitted in the past to not even watching the games, I think last season.

So it's the opposite of what he said, at least when it comes to the little squabble that's going on.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He's got a hate-on for Tex and follows him around talking shit. That's who he's referring to, imo. But we also know a prominent "fancy stats" guy here has admitted in the past to not even watching the games, I think last season.

So it's the opposite of what he said, at least when it comes to the little squabble that's going on.
Oh, it’s crap from the guy I blocked? LOL. That’s funny. I haven’t even thought about him since I finally succumbed to the blockage.

it’s very freeing, I must say. My anger level is quite low now when reading these threads.

do it. You know you want to

and PS — his hard on for Tex is rather remarkable. Like a 1st grader picking on his first crush.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The idea that I dont watch the games is entertaining. I watch Lavy's daily presser but I dont watch the games. Its a posting board. As long as I am not drinking the blood of children or something, I am ok

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The idea that I dont watch the games is entertaining. I watch Lavy's daily presser but I dont watch the games. Its a posting board. As long as I am not drinking the blood of children or something, I am ok
You mentioned missing one that you were commenting on once and he’s never forgotten it. Gotta watch what you say around here. :laugh:

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
So I finally got around to watching Seattle Kraken and taking them as a alternate team for the future since I always wanted a Seattle franchise. I just realized Forslund calls the Kraken home games now. I guess he like Francis, lol. The Buffalo/Kraken game was pretty entertaining.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I’d say this is a video game goal, but I’m not sure you can do this in a video game.

McDavid out here playing point guard instead of hockey, that looks like something Derrick Rose would have done.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
lol more hand wringing - ooh McDavid tricked a bunch of Rangers into thinking both teams were doing a line change, and then used it to his advantage to score a goal! cringe factor max

Goal of the year
Goal of the decade
"best goal in 30 years!"
"best goal evah!"

Spare us all [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jun 15, 2007
lol more hand wringing - ooh McDavid tricked a bunch of Rangers into thinking both teams were doing a line change, and then used it to his advantage to score a goal! cringe factor max

Goal of the year
Goal of the decade
"best goal in 30 years!"
"best goal evah!"

Spare us all [mod edit]

Not sure exactly what you're saying. You think it was a great goal or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Devil Dancer

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
In before the Rangers psyche is blown again and they trade for “take the body” forwards and “crease clearing” defensemen so that McDavid can never ever ever do it again
Heh. They do seem to be fragile mentally.

They just need defensemen that won't get baited to defend the puck to the outside when a skater is trying to split them. Force him outside and he still may beat you with speed, but you cut off his angle to goal.

Jun 15, 2007
Random thought: we are really lucky all the high draft picks that have come into the Metro division the past few years have been relative disappointments,

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad