Rumor: NHL Talk 21/22: It's real, and it's spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Absolutely.

I know some will be dismissive of the stress folks face who make millions of dollars, and when you're working like a dog to feed your family, I get it's difficult to understand. It's hard to be sympathetic when you're struggling yourself and can't take time away like these athletes. Alternatively, some people just think the current generation is soft. Whatever.

Nonetheless it doesn't change the fact it's really refreshing to see public figures in sports begin to address and confront the reality that a mental health issue is as serious as any physical injury. Robin Lehner, Bobby Ryan, and now Drouin. Good on them.
Yeah. Some folks think that earning lots of money makes a lot of these issues "easier to deal with" or should even, somehow, make them go away. That's just not how that works. The amount that players get paid is simply relative to the amount of revenue that the league generates and the individual team's evaluation of a player's worth. It has no bearing on the impact of anxiety, self-doubt, and the pressures associated with modern internet "culture." The pressures are the same for anyone, whether you make $10/hour or $9M/year.

Reactions: Zaronji and Bench

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah. Some folks think that earning lots of money makes a lot of these issues "easier to deal with" or should even, somehow, make them go away. That's just not how that works. The amount that players get paid is simply relative to the amount of revenue that the league generates and the individual team's evaluation of a player's worth. It has no bearing on the impact of anxiety, self-doubt, and the pressures associated with modern internet "culture." The pressures are the same for anyone, whether you make $10/hour or $9M/year.
Professional athletes sometimes have access to resources to help treat those pressures that many "regular folk" cannot afford. But otherwise I agree.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Best of luck to him moving forward. I really thought his play was coming on and he might get a chance to steal a starter job at the end of his career. Bummed to see this.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

i think the pressures might be higher in some ways, especially for Drouin, a French Canadian playing in Montreal.
On the other hand, they're not wondering if they have enough money to pay the rent and put food on the table.

What's weird to me was to see Drouin celebrated as brave and courageous by The Wokeletic.
I don't hold it against him if he needed time away to deal with his issues and get better. I guess in some ways it's no different than any other ailment that prevents you from doing your job.
But brave? Courageous?

Dinosaurs like me appreciated the f*** out Yzerman's Roy Hobbs impression in 02. Or Kirk Gibson's home run for the Dodgers.
The Wokeletic would probably call that toxic masculinity or something.
But they seem unable to understand how inspiring it is when someone overcomes adversity and physical injury to get the job done.

Yzerman's 02 performance took him from all-time great to legendary status in my book.
Gibson's home run in the World Series is one of the greatest moments I've ever seen in sports. Moments like that inspire us all to overcome obstacles, challenges and weaknesses.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The Wokeletic.

With that cringe out of the way...

But they seem unable to understand how inspiring it is when someone overcomes adversity and physical injury to get the job done.

It's not a binary choice.

You can be inspired by people overcoming physical adversity but also commend those who face mental health challenges by choosing to step away from the grind.

Overcoming anxiety and insomnia isn't a grit it out test of willpower. That's why so many people remain caught in bad cycles. They think they just need to suck it up and power through because that's what we're told to do.

World class athletes like Osaka, Biles, and Drouin have the ability to overcome extreme physical challenges. They've done that countless times. But for some challenges one needs to step back and tackle fundamental behaviors that have caused significant toil in ways that can't be seen on an MRI.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Dang...Crosby and Malkin both out to start the season.

And Eichel got stripped of his "C".

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And Eichel got stripped of his "C".

Eichel right now...

6f6.jpg

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Trying to think of the right .gif to go along with "Eichel fails his physical".

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Wait, Jim Hughson retired? Bummer...
Yeah...you could tell the writing was on the wall, from last year, when he wouldn't/couldn't travel for any of the Sportsnet/HNIC games. He's been around for a long time and enjoyed a very solid career. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: deca guard

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah...you could tell the writing was on the wall, from last year, when he wouldn't/couldn't travel for any of the Sportsnet/HNIC games. He's been around for a long time and enjoyed a very solid career. Best of luck to him.

Probably my favorite Jim Hughson Wings game call.

The vibrato or whatever in "SCORES!!!"... Nothing else like it.

Reactions: jaster and Bench

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
They are my favourite team already aside from Wings of course lol.
I was a little worried when they were down 2-0 that they might just be a "normal" expansion team. But they fought back pretty hard. Will be interesting to see how they do. Should have a bit of an easier time in the Pacific, but still a few tough teams there still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad