Rumor: NHL Talk 21/22: It's real, and it's spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Dundon looks like a complete stooge.

What he did, was he bluffed with 2-7 off-suit while sitting immediately left of the dealer, got called, and his hand exposed.

Reactions: golffuul

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
First unmatched offer sheet since Penner. Kind of exciting, eh? Will be interesting to see if this one shapes out any better.

Reactions: Ricelund

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
what a clownish organization Montreal is

you don't just give up on a Center that only just turned 21 that you believed in enough a few years ago to draft 3rd overall for a late 1st and a 3rd just because you now have to pay him a bit more than you should for the next year or two

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

you don't just give up on a Center that only just turned 21 that you believed in enough a few years ago to draft 3rd overall for a late 1st and a 3rd just because you now have to pay him a bit more than you should for the next year or two
To be honest he shouldn't have went 3rd. 2022 is a deep draft and the Canes won't be as good without Hamilton...

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I can see Kotkaniemi thriving away from Montreal. I think the Canes may have gotten a steal here.

Reactions: Winger98

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Friedman already reporting that Montreal is working on a trade with Arizona for Dvorak. 1st and another pick.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017

What? Montreal did the right thing. If KK gets 6.1, Suzuki is going to demand 9 million per season. You dont f*** up your team's payment structures for a 0.35 ppg guy who has shown no signs of development in 3 seasons.

Considering the follow up move for Christian Dvorak, who should thrive in a 2C role as oppose to playing as a 1C in Arizona half the time, Bergevin wins this whole scenario.

Dundon got clowned. Necas is going to rightfully demand substantial overpay next season now, especially since Carolina just established that they believe 6.1 for KK is justified.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Deal is done. Carolina's 1st and Montreal's 2nd in 2024

Its the better of the two 1sts, unless either (or both) is a top 10 pick then it switches to the worst of the two.

Reactions: golffuul

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
So after thinking about this I went to see what Penner is up to lately and I honestly thought I had reached some parody account when I saw his social media.

I think he's got the brain scramblies.

Maybe I have the scramblies too, I didn't see anything too crazy on his Twitter. Or maybe I missed something.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I'm not sure about this move by Carolina, and the response by Montreal.

When I first read about it I thought Montreal was crazy, but then I remembered ripping on Bergevin for some of this moves the last few years, along with everyone else, and then feeling like an idiot when they made the finals this past year.

I think I'll wait until this plays out. I think this Bergevin guy hasn't been given enough credit for some bold counterintuitive moves that appear to have paid off. Maybe Dvorak is an upgrade over Kotkaniemi -- a few years older but more points per 60 despite playing on a crappy low-scoring team.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'm not sure about this move by Carolina, and the response by Montreal.

When I first read about it I thought Montreal was crazy, but then I remembered ripping on Bergevin for some of this moves the last few years, along with everyone else, and then feeling like an idiot when they made the finals this past year.

I think I'll wait until this plays out. I think this Bergevin guy hasn't been given enough credit for some bold counterintuitive moves that appear to have paid off. Maybe Dvorak is an upgrade over Kotkaniemi -- a few years older but more points per 60 despite playing on a crappy low-scoring team.
Yeah...the eye test tells you that something in Kotkaniemi's game seems to say that he has the potential for a big upside, but either his work ethic, the way he has been deployed, or something...has gotten in the way of him reaching it with Montreal. Meanwhile, Dvorak looks like he will be a consummate pro 2nd line center type. He already has the 15-20+ goals on a low octane/high drama franchise, so he looks like he should more than easily replace Kotkaniemi's numbers, and then some. So in terms of swapping player for player, where they are, it's an easy win for Montreal IMO...especially paying 1.5M/year less and Dvorak is locked in for 4 years at that price.

Add in a healthy Drouin, Hoffman, Perreault, Paquette, and full year of Caufield...I think Montreal is pretty set to make the Playoffs again, as long as their defense doesn't crap the bed. Meanwhile Carolina could be in a position where it could stumble if their goaltending and defense don't show that they can sustain the loss of Nedjelkovic and Hamilton. Carolina's roster doesn't look as deep as it has in the past, and if the rest of the Metro division has a better year, it could be interesting to see how everything works out for them.

Definitely a situation where the players win by getting themselves into situations that are better than where they came from, but each team's success will determine whether the moves were worth it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah...the eye test tells you that something in Kotkaniemi's game seems to say that he has the potential for a big upside, but either his work ethic, the way he has been deployed, or something...has gotten in the way of him reaching it with Montreal. Meanwhile, Dvorak looks like he will be a consummate pro 2nd line center type. He already has the 15-20+ goals on a low octane/high drama franchise, so he looks like he should more than easily replace Kotkaniemi's numbers, and then some. So in terms of swapping player for player, where they are, it's an easy win for Montreal IMO...especially paying 1.5M/year less and Dvorak is locked in for 4 years at that price.

Add in a healthy Drouin, Hoffman, Perreault, Paquette, and full year of Caufield...I think Montreal is pretty set to make the Playoffs again, as long as their defense doesn't crap the bed. Meanwhile Carolina could be in a position where it could stumble if their goaltending and defense don't show that they can sustain the loss of Nedjelkovic and Hamilton. Carolina's roster doesn't look as deep as it has in the past, and if the rest of the Metro division has a better year, it could be interesting to see how everything works out for them.

Definitely a situation where the players win by getting themselves into situations that are better than where they came from, but each team's success will determine whether the moves were worth it.

team that wouldn't have even made the Playoffs at all if not for the wonky divisions swapped Weber(who they replaced with nothing), Danault,Kotkaniemi,Tatar,Perry,Byron etc and added "healthy Drouin"(who played in 78% of the regular season games last year),Dvorak,Hoffman,Perreault,Paquette, full year of Caufield is "pretty set to make the Playoffs again" meanwhile the team that almost won the President's trophy "could stumble" because they lost a rookie Goalie and Hamilton(and speaking of "healthy players" how about Teravainen who has consistently been 2nd on the Hurricanes in points and only played in 37% of their games last year)

some real solid analysis there

Reactions: Lil Bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: