NHL NHL Standings Watch - 2019-20 Edition - Updated 3/11/20

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Expectedly, Tampa is catching up in the Games Played column and climbing the standings accordingly. They should easily pass the Habs and Florida when the games in hand are played.

I remain convinced that by March Tampa will once again be the top team in the Atlantic, and vying with the Caps for the best in the East. They may not necessarily be top of the table, but they'll be the strongest, most in form team, barring significant injuries. Their roster is simply too deep and diverse for them not to be.

It's pretty clear to me that they're deliberately starting the season slowly to avoid peaking too soon again. Whether or not it works better than last year remains to be seen, but they definitely had to change up their approach.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Tampas been the most overrated team in hockey for 4 years... the way people talk youd think they were going for 5 cups in a row

I mean stamkos got hurt and the rest of this core missed the playoffs

Last year was 4 straight first round dead dogs

They do have an impressive top line... a couple stud dmen... a very talented goalie (who has accomplished less than rask)

Tampa is the second best team in our division... and is prob built even better than us for regular season success. The window though seems to have peaked. They lost all their character vetern depth. They are built on the same model as toronto only better thanks to yzerman. He left though. Now they decline

Bostons true challange for another trip to the finals will be washington. We are sitting in great shape playing the 2nd best hockey in nhl the first 1/3 of the season. Our kids are being given a chance to plug some holes. We got tons of depth to get through the dull struggles of the regular season

The trade need at deadline isnt unrealistic. We have the goods to pay for what we need

I keep hearing supposed fans saying they are shocked we are playing well

Didnt these fans pay attention last year when we finished 2nd regular season and 2nd in playoffs? Or the second half of the year before when we were the top team?

Its almost 2 years now we have been the beast in the east

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think it is safe to say that none of us saw this coming

What I have learned is the Bruins are furious about losing Game 7 to St. Louis not because they lost but because the game was so one-sided.

79246475_10219338904516065_7696582107396571136_n.jpg

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bruins have a 2-win gap on any team for ROW, but even more impressively have a 4-win gap on 2nd for regulation wins. 17-3 in actual hockey this year.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
We're guaranteed the #1 slot in the Atlantic until December 14th. We have a winning streak of 7 games, and Bergeron only played in 2 of them. Getting guaranteed home ice for the ECF is a little more dicey - a testament to how BAD the Atlantic is as a whole. The Atlantic has 6/8 teams still in single digit regulation wins - the Metro has it flip-flopped, with 6/8 in double digits.

Is it weird to feel better about this team's chances than last year's team? Even at Game 7 of the SCF, I walked in thinking it was a coin flip, and was almost resigned to losing even after the first period. I feel like this team has to potential to do even better than last year's team...which basically only leaves the Cup. But simultaneously, I don't think we'll actually WIN the cup. It's a weird quantum box.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
We're guaranteed the #1 slot in the Atlantic until December 14th. We have a winning streak of 7 games, and Bergeron only played in 2 of them. Getting guaranteed home ice for the ECF is a little more dicey - a testament to how BAD the Atlantic is as a whole. The Atlantic has 6/8 teams still in single digit regulation wins - the Metro has it flip-flopped, with 6/8 in double digits.

Is it weird to feel better about this team's chances than last year's team? Even at Game 7 of the SCF, I walked in thinking it was a coin flip, and was almost resigned to losing even after the first period. I feel like this team has to potential to do even better than last year's team...which basically only leaves the Cup. But simultaneously, I don't think we'll actually WIN the cup. It's a weird quantum box.
With the Bruins record at home in the playoffs for the last while,quite awhile actually,other then 2011 and against the Leafs ,first really isn’t that important to me.I wish game 7 would have been in St.Louis .

Reactions: Fenway

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I think it is safe to say that none of us saw this coming

What I have learned is the Bruins are furious about losing Game 7 to St. Louis not because they lost but because the game was so one-sided.

79246475_10219338904516065_7696582107396571136_n.jpg
That DIFF +34 is not too shabby

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The next 2 weeks will be a good test for the team with Carolina, Chicago and Colorado coming to Boston and then the B's go to Ottawa, Washington, Tampa and Florida. The Tampa game is 24 hours after Washington which is brutal but it is what it is.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
2 months in I look at Tampa Bay and go :huh: Are they playing possum? :dunno:

What is becoming apparent that teams are not going to burn themselves out for home-ice advantage any longer.

I do expect Tampa in the Top 3 and Florida/Toronto to battle it out for the third spot.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It has been a rough couple of weeks but...

That said the B's need to start winning games again - what is becoming clear is the 2 wild card slots seem to be going to teams in the Metro

Losing games to LA, Ottawa and Chicago shouldn't happen and a loss earlier this year to Detroit also stung.

upload_2019-12-18_1-37-52.png

upload_2019-12-18_1-53-59.png

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
While "two wild cards to the Metro" is by far the safest bet, I wouldn't sleep on Tampa. I think everyone was surprised that they had a pretty bad start. Tampa's 5 points over 0.500, while WC2 Flyers are only 7 points. If the next two games for either/both teams go Tampa's way, that gap closes, although you'd probably give the edge to the Flyers, since their future schedule is less crowded. Add in injuries (which can go for or against any team), and there's a good-sized opening.

Bruins can't continue this 0.500 streak forever, can they? They'd likely be in the playoffs with 96 points unless there's some freaky standings (oh, hello there 2014-5!), but it would be from a far less comfortable position in terms of seeding. As we are now, we'd be playing the Penguins, who I'd actually prefer over the Flyers, especially from a "play 4 rounds without getting totally banged up" point of view.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
While "two wild cards to the Metro" is by far the safest bet, I wouldn't sleep on Tampa. I think everyone was surprised that they had a pretty bad start. Tampa's 5 points over 0.500, while WC2 Flyers are only 7 points. If the next two games for either/both teams go Tampa's way, that gap closes, although you'd probably give the edge to the Flyers, since their future schedule is less crowded. Add in injuries (which can go for or against any team), and there's a good-sized opening.

Bruins can't continue this 0.500 streak forever, can they? They'd likely be in the playoffs with 96 points unless there's some freaky standings (oh, hello there 2014-5!), but it would be from a far less comfortable position in terms of seeding. As we are now, we'd be playing the Penguins, who I'd actually prefer over the Flyers, especially from a "play 4 rounds without getting totally banged up" point of view.

Tampa will be in the Top 3 without a doubt - Poutineville's record at Centre Bell will doom them and I think Toronto will finish ahead of Buffalo.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
In a perfect world Buffalo gets the slot and Toronto and Montreal get a tee time

its looking a lot like 5 teams out of the other side
we got Washington and islanders now with clear sailing to the finish
we got huricanes and penguins already 10 games over 500... well on way for 100 point seasons
and then Philadelphia has come out of a slow start to get 7 games over 500... they are on the uptick

it leaves just 3 spots for our side...

we got only the 1 team with clear sailing... boston would need a historical collapse to miss the playoffs. 500 hockey takes us to 96 points...

im not sure any of the other 4 contenders in our division will get to 96 points...

tampa is obviously the team though we all think will suddenly get their crap together and have a 50 point second half of the year and get themselves to the promised land

now that leaves florida/buffalo/Toronto/montreal in competition for ONE SPOT

they've all played like dogs breakfest so far. they all pretty much allow as many goals as they score. they all have more losses/loser points then they do wins. I could see the winning team from this race for final spot failing to achieve a 90 point season

my betting money is on florida… they have been held back by very questionable goaltending so far. bob has pedigree to do a lot better in second half.

Toronto really doesnt have much room for improvement... they are going to run their goalie into the ground. they got no cap space to tinker with. none of their star players are too interested in playing defense.

montreal doesnt have the horses for the race and price hasnt been all that great for a few years now

buffalo is my dark horse... if they make a couple improvements to their team those young kids might pull it off.

ive been saying since this past offseason Toronto is in a world of hurt and my opinion hasnt changed... I dont see them making the playoffs even if there is a spot open for them still due to the sluggish play of florida and buffalo

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
its looking a lot like 5 teams out of the other side
we got Washington and islanders now with clear sailing to the finish
we got huricanes and penguins already 10 games over 500... well on way for 100 point seasons
and then Philadelphia has come out of a slow start to get 7 games over 500... they are on the uptick

it leaves just 3 spots for our side...

we got only the 1 team with clear sailing... boston would need a historical collapse to miss the playoffs. 500 hockey takes us to 96 points...

im not sure any of the other 4 contenders in our division will get to 96 points...

tampa is obviously the team though we all think will suddenly get their crap together and have a 50 point second half of the year and get themselves to the promised land

now that leaves florida/buffalo/Toronto/montreal in competition for ONE SPOT

they've all played like dogs breakfest so far. they all pretty much allow as many goals as they score. they all have more losses/loser points then they do wins. I could see the winning team from this race for final spot failing to achieve a 90 point season

my betting money is on florida… they have been held back by very questionable goaltending so far. bob has pedigree to do a lot better in second half.

Toronto really doesnt have much room for improvement... they are going to run their goalie into the ground. they got no cap space to tinker with. none of their star players are too interested in playing defense.

montreal doesnt have the horses for the race and price hasnt been all that great for a few years now

buffalo is my dark horse... if they make a couple improvements to their team those young kids might pull it off.

ive been saying since this past offseason Toronto is in a world of hurt and my opinion hasnt changed... I dont see them making the playoffs even if there is a spot open for them still due to the sluggish play of florida and buffalo

Florida's D is as bad as Toronto but Toronto is much deeper up front. The goalies are a wash. Barring injuries for Toronto they make the PO and not Fla, Buffalo ir Montreal.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Florida's D is as bad as Toronto but Toronto is much deeper up front. The goalies are a wash. Barring injuries for Toronto they make the PO and not Fla, Buffalo ir Montreal.

case where the sum isnt as great as its parts... a very flawed team

since dec 20 last year Toronto has played 82 games... a full season
their record is
40-32-10... very pedestrine 90 point pace

not bad enough to get into the top 10 draft
not good enough to make the playoffs

Toronto had entered that hellish category of being a team that wont win anything and will never be bad enough to rebuild. their cap situation is beyond repair for the next handful of seasons. they will soon be overpaying reilly and andersson as well

their fan base is turning on Matthews as a 'leader'

maybe the solution is trading him... but its certainly not the narrative we were all being fed for the past couple years

it takes more than a few fast skating forwards to make the playoffs in the real nhl

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
It has been a rough couple of weeks but...

That said the B's need to start winning games again - what is becoming clear is the 2 wild card slots seem to be going to teams in the Metro

Losing games to LA, Ottawa and Chicago shouldn't happen and a loss earlier this year to Detroit also stung.

View attachment 294057

View attachment 294061

1- You still don’t have the right standing with the RW column.

2- I don’t agree that it’s « clear » like you say that there will be only 3 teams from the division. Way too early and little separation to make that assumption.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Boston, as a division winner, could end up facing a stronger opponent during the first round in the wildcard spot than if it were to end up second or third in the division.
True . I don’t want to play the Leafs or Tampa in round 1 . maybe it would be more ideal if they finished 2nd and 3rd in the division. After that , who really knows how it will play out as anything can and will happen in the first round of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad