upload_2019-10-27_1-35-52.png

upload_2019-10-27_1-36-38.png

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bruins have the least regulation losses

View attachment 269589

Just crazy the games played spread. Im not sure i ever saw a 5 game difference at the end of oct before.

Really makes it hard to analyze the standings... but adjusted for games played we are first now tonight after colorados loss.

With 3 points in next 2 games we would stay tied with buffalo.

Toronto ties calgary for 20th place after games tonight... neither in a playoff spot. Winnipeg is outside too

The three teams i mentioned multiple times this year as examples a/b/c of a 'good problem to have'

Canadas 3 hopes for a cup... and an argument can be made all 3 peaked last season and are now in decline with caphell

At least winnipeg won an opening round before the problems

The way standings work for me is... during any 10 game stretch most playoff teams will play above 500 hockey... so even when they slump they will get 10-11 points. You can see here 21 teams were above 500

With that in mind you start realizing its going to take 95 points or more to make playoffs. Being at 500 isnt good enough. Going 10 games with less than 12 points means you are not playing well enough to make playoffs

So 16 points is outstanding... 12 points is barely going to get you in playoffs

Each team might only expect 2-3 stretches where they put up 16 points. Its these stretches that end up getting you over the 100 point mark and home ice

So... hot starts like Boston are just crazy great for creating a cushion of comfort

They stay playoffs are pretty much decided at american thanksgiving... its mostly true. As bruin fans we should be very happy with our start

Edmonton and buffalo could collapse but their starts give them a tremendous opportunity

Colorado and carolina proved last year they are beciming real... and these starts confirm it

The top teams are changing... la/chicago/pittsburgh who we all pointed to as the top 3 teams of last decade are clearly in decline

St louis/washington/tampa look legitimately dangerous but we have shown we are on par or betterearly this year

Its just very good

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just crazy the games played spread. Im not sure i ever saw a 5 game difference at the end of oct before.

Really makes it hard to analyze the standings... but adjusted for games played we are first now tonight after colorados loss.

With 3 points in next 2 games we would stay tied with buffalo.

Toronto ties calgary for 20th place after games tonight... neither in a playoff spot. Winnipeg is outside too

The three teams i mentioned multiple times this year as examples a/b/c of a 'good problem to have'

Canadas 3 hopes for a cup... and an argument can be made all 3 peaked last season and are now in decline with caphell

At least winnipeg won an opening round before the problems

The way standings work for me is... during any 10 game stretch most playoff teams will play above 500 hockey... so even when they slump they will get 10-11 points. You can see here 21 teams were above 500

With that in mind you start realizing its going to take 95 points or more to make playoffs. Being at 500 isnt good enough. Going 10 games with less than 12 points means you are not playing well enough to make playoffs

So 16 points is outstanding... 12 points is barely going to get you in playoffs

Each team might only expect 2-3 stretches where they put up 16 points. Its these stretches that end up getting you over the 100 point mark and home ice

So... hot starts like Boston are just crazy great for creating a cushion of comfort

They stay playoffs are pretty much decided at American thanksgiving... it is mostly true. As bruin fans, we should be very happy with our start

Edmonton and buffalo could collapse but their starts give them a tremendous opportunity

Colorado and carolina proved last year they are becoming real... and these starts confirm it

The top teams are changing... la/Chicago/Pittsburgh who we all pointed to as the top 3 teams of last decade are clearly in decline

St Louis/Washington/Tampa look legitimately dangerous but we have shown we are on par or better early this year

It is just very good

My concern was the B's would come out sluggish at the start and I was happily wrong.

Right now Buffalo is the joker in the Atlantic - and Poutineville and Florida could be as well. Toronto could be the Hindenburg

tenor.gif

Reactions: Rogue Leader

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Not only do the Bruins lead the league in point percentage, but they have spent over 60% of the time leading in their games.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
How long before Cooper starts to sweat? Trainwreck in playoffs last year, and a very lukewarm start to '19/20

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
So the Bill's, I mean Sabres are our #1 competitor? I think they'll fall off a cliff at some point.
About the time of your post, I looked into strength of schedule (3 different rankings), and Buffalo had played literally the easiest schedule of any team in the NHL. When their schedule toughens up, I expect them to come back to earth a good bit. maybe not like last year, and maybe not even so much that they fall below Toronto. But their schedule will start to reveal how good a team they really are, and I don't think it will be as positive as their hot start might indicate.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No reason to panic yet but it is a worrisome trend that the B's are bleeding points in the division with a record of 2-2-3

What I despise about this schedule is by December 1st we will have played Montreal 3 times as well as Toronto.

upload_2019-11-13_10-24-31.png

upload_2019-11-13_10-13-44.png

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
No reason to panic yet but it is a worrisome trend that the B's are bleeding points in the division with a record of 2-2-3

What I despise about this schedule is by December 1st we will have played Montreal 3 times as well as Toronto.

View attachment 276837

View attachment 276835

I think the frustrating part is knowing that if they played like they were capable of and won the games they were supposed to during this losing streak, then they would be up big in the division.

Reactions: Fenway

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
The 1st tie breaker is now RW followed by ROW. Why isn’t that stat in your graphic Fenway?

Btw, Bruins have the most RW in NHL with 11. Wsh-NYI-Col-Edm tied for 2nd with 9.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Toronto's at 0.500, which is not true 0.500 considering there are loser points. They can't be happy with their positioning.

Even after our last-minute tie game tonight, we're still on pace for almost 119 points. I'll take it, even if our strength of schedule hasn't been impressive (maybe it has, maybe it hasn't - haven't checked.)

But, wow, those Habs are coming out of nowhere. Do. Not. Like.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Toronto's at 0.500, which is not true 0.500 considering there are loser points. They can't be happy with their positioning.

Even after our last-minute tie game tonight, we're still on pace for almost 119 points. I'll take it, even if our strength of schedule hasn't been impressive (maybe it has, maybe it hasn't - haven't checked.)

But, wow, those Habs are coming out of nowhere. Do. Not. Like.

We play the Habs twice in the next 2 weeks :popcorn:

Way too early to project but the B's could meet the Habs in the first round :help: and it has been six years since we have met our old friends.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

View attachment 276837

View attachment 276835

I like 10 game trends... it really skews things to take a look at too small a sample size

by your graph here... boston is only behind 3 teams in this 10 game skid. we are 'slumping' and other teams are 'getting hot' and we still got more points in this 10 game stretch

no worries here mate.

it would take massive injury situation for this bunch of guys to ever drop below 500 for any stretch of time... 500 hockey would get us to 91 points

just a single game over 500 for each of the next 6 segments of 10 games would put us at a comfortable 97 point finish

that means we could go 5-4-1 and then 4-3-3 and be well on a comfortable pace for the playoffs

more realistically... even if we slump... we should pick up 72 points in our next 60 games a very modest pace that is pretty easy for us... that will put us over 100 points for the season

weve almost made the playoffs already if you realistically look at what we would get playing 'slumping' hockey the entire remainder of the year.

and we have 13 points in this past 10 game stretch of bad hockey... that works out to 78 points in next 60 games if we continue to be this bad... im going to confidentaly say im expecting 110 point season if we keep our health comparative to the comp

its looking real good from where I sit

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Leafs are now in full panic mode. They have to do something and I suspect Kyle Dubas will be the fall guy.

Meanwhile, the Panthers who went all in last summer have to be considered legitimate.

upload_2019-11-20_0-39-7.png

New Leafs team song

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
477E120A-33DD-4A7A-AD2D-F54DD9CC5D97.jpeg

Regulation Wins are what’s important show just how much better the Bruins are than everyone else in the division at the quarter mark of the season

Ain’t no gimmick 3v3 or SO for all these frauds to get wins come playoff time

besides Tampa no one in our division worries me

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

All the best to him...

*Edit. Sorry wrong "Around the NHL thread" lol./

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As we approach the Thanksgiving benchmark we can see some clarity yet only Detroit in the East seems like a lost cause, yet they beat the Bruins. Tampa is showing some signs of life and they have games in hand.

To me, the big surprise is Ottawa not being a patsy this year

upload_2019-11-25_3-11-33.png

upload_2019-11-25_3-12-28.png

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad