NHL NHL Standings Watch - 2019-20 Edition - Updated 3/11/20

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
With 10% of the season in the books, one has to wonder is this the year Buffalo puts it all together? If so it adds a new wrinkle to the Atlantic Division.

upload_2019-10-24_15-20-38.png

upload_2019-10-24_15-21-10.png

Reactions: Rogue Leader

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think Edmonton is going to fall back to reality. Neal can’t score at an 82 goal pace forever. When they played MN they were awful. MN had their way with them, and that says something. If Mcdavid and Drai don’t show up, that’s an AHL team.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Estlin

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
on November 28 2018, buffalo was 17-6-2 for 36 points best in the nhl...

they went 15-34-8 over their last 57 games... just completely fell apart

they got a new coach this year... some of the kids are another year more mature... they've rebuild a lot of their defense… but its going to take more than a hot start to erase the memory of last year's massive collapse

Toronto was second in the league as of nov 28 last year... played 1 more game... 36 points in 26 games... they needed that hot start to make the playoffs. they went just 28-20-8 in their next 56 games

boston was a respectable 13-7-4 but that left them in 4th place in our division... 7th place overall in league wide standings. we had just gone through one hell of a run on injuries to our defense... not to mention to Bergeron up front. we really proved our teams value when we didnt miss a step... and we turned it up the last 2/3 of the season while buffalo/Toronto fell to pieces

will buffalo be better equipped this year to continue success? their goaltenders let them down last year... so thats 1 huge key... but the coaching change might be the biggest factor. theres talent in buffalo if its willing to work for success.

my predictions for the rest of the year...

boston will get first... we dont take nights off
tampa with nothing to play for, will settle for second and aim their target at playoffs
buffalo will end up holding on and growing up... they got enough for 3rd thanks to the start
florida gets their act together for a strong 4th place finish

Toronto and montreal battle it out to see if either can win the final wildcard spot from capitals/hurricanes/penguins and... maybe... islanders? Columbus?

honestly I think 4 of the 6 strongest teams in the east are in our division this year so theres a fairly decent chance we will get both wildcard spots for a change.

id love to see a battle in the last week of the season between Toronto and montreal who knocks the other out :)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Buffalo joining the fray puts added pressure on the Leafs as they are only 90 miles apart.

The Sabres are fed up with Leafs fans taking over their arena but the reality is Sabres STH will sell the Toronto games and those 2 games help reduce the cost of the ticket.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Points are at a premium.

I love the divisional playoff format, but this isn’t your daddy’s Adams Division where in a 21 team league, the Bruins, Montreal, and Buffalo could waltz into the playoffs in their sleep.

The reality is that half of the league misses the playoffs and the Atlantic is a TOUGH division.

One bad ten game stretch and you’re DOA.

Nothing would shock me when it comes to Boston’s playoff chances. They could win the division. They could easily lose a key player or two to injury and miss completely.

2015 & 2016 were a sobering reminder of just how competitive the regular season is these days.

The loser point in OT has kept things competitive right down to the wire.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Points are at a premium.

I love the divisional playoff format, but this isn’t your daddy’s Adams Division where in a 21 team league, the Bruins, Montreal, and Buffalo could waltz into the playoffs in their sleep.

The reality is that half of the league misses the playoffs and the Atlantic is a TOUGH division.

One bad ten game stretch and you’re DOA.

Nothing would shock me when it comes to Boston’s playoff chances. They could win the division. They could easily lose a key player or two to injury and miss completely.

2015 & 2016 were a sobering reminder of just how competitive the regular season is these days.

The loser point in OT has kept things competitive right down to the wire.

They had so many injuries last year and even had Lauzon as the #1 for a couple games stretch. They ended up 3rd overall. They didn’t have Coyle for the whole year either.

You are saying them missing wouldn’t shock you?

They are 6-1-2 without their #2C.

I will be surprised if they don’t have home ice in round 1.

Reactions: bbfan419

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
They had so many injuries last year and even had Lauzon as the #1 for a couple games stretch. They ended up 3rd overall. They didn’t have Coyle for the whole year either.

You are saying them missing wouldn’t shock you?

They are 6-1-2 without their #2C.

I will be surprised if they don’t have home ice in round 1.

Without Krejci, they’re razor thin up front.

You lose one of Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, you’re in trouble.

Last year is last year.

Not saying they’ll miss.
But no, a DNQ would not surprise me.

Teams can fall off the quickly in a cap league.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Anything can happen.

The last team in the league can come back in 2 months and end up winning the cup.

That's crazy in any sport.

Reactions: Fenway

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Without Krejci, they’re razor thin up front.

You lose one of Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, you’re in trouble.

Last year is last year.

Not saying they’ll miss.
But no, a DNQ would not surprise me.

Teams can fall off the quickly in a cap league.

I just surprised myself in another argument... wanted to show how we didnt miss a step in the 14 games Bergeron missed in nov/December last year... when I did the research though we were 7-6-1 in those 14 games with 39 goals against.

we are vulnurable to an injury wave... and sadly this team has more injuries than almost anyone else. id bet dollars to doughnuts the only team close to us in games lost to key players the last 3 years is anaheim

im going to stick with my prediction boston takes first in the east this year {and the presidents trophy} but I am realistic enough to say an injury crisis could derail us {but in no way do we miss the playoffs... not with our top 10 core just too deep for a playoff miss}

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think that the reality is, with the salary cap and the recent expansion draft, there aren’t too many teams that can withstand injuries to key players.

The encouraging sign so far is that they’re banking points whether they play their A game or not.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I think that the reality is, with the salary cap and the recent expansion draft, there aren’t too many teams that can withstand injuries to key players.

The encouraging sign so far is that they’re banking points whether they play their A game or not.

Bruins did it last year. Easily.

Not only having many key players missing time but often at the same time.

Bruins have the best first line in the league.
One top G.
Best backup.
Top of the league 1-12D depth.
Great special teams.
Plenty of ELC ready to step in or traded for help.

Habs have more chances to win the Cup than the Bruins to miss.

Anything under home ice for round 1 and I’ll be surprised.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
on November 28 2018, buffalo was 17-6-2 for 36 points best in the nhl...

they went 15-34-8 over their last 57 games... just completely fell apart

they got a new coach this year... some of the kids are another year more mature... they've rebuild a lot of their defense… but its going to take more than a hot start to erase the memory of last year's massive collapse

Toronto was second in the league as of nov 28 last year... played 1 more game... 36 points in 26 games... they needed that hot start to make the playoffs. they went just 28-20-8 in their next 56 games

boston was a respectable 13-7-4 but that left them in 4th place in our division... 7th place overall in league wide standings. we had just gone through one hell of a run on injuries to our defense... not to mention to Bergeron up front. we really proved our teams value when we didnt miss a step... and we turned it up the last 2/3 of the season while buffalo/Toronto fell to pieces

will buffalo be better equipped this year to continue success? their goaltenders let them down last year... so thats 1 huge key... but the coaching change might be the biggest factor. theres talent in buffalo if its willing to work for success.

my predictions for the rest of the year...

boston will get first... we dont take nights off
tampa with nothing to play for, will settle for second and aim their target at playoffs
buffalo will end up holding on and growing up... they got enough for 3rd thanks to the start
florida gets their act together for a strong 4th place finish

Toronto and montreal battle it out to see if either can win the final wildcard spot from capitals/hurricanes/penguins and... maybe... islanders? Columbus?

honestly I think 4 of the 6 strongest teams in the east are in our division this year so theres a fairly decent chance we will get both wildcard spots for a change.

id love to see a battle in the last week of the season between Toronto and montreal who knocks the other out :)
As much as I hate the Leafs, I still cheer for them against Montreal.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If the Sabres are for real, will make it even tougher for the lowly Habs to sneak in.

Bruins
TB
Buffalo
Toronto
Florida
Habs
Detroit
Ottawa

1993 Forever!
Would love to see this then Leafs have to play Metro winner in the first round and Bruins would get someone like Columbus.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Would love to see this then Leafs have to play Metro winner in the first round and Bruins would get someone like Columbus.

Long way from there, but I don’t care who they will play.

I think that game 7 loss will have the effect of that 3-0 3-0 lead loss to the Flyers in 2010.

Bruins will be ready and looking for vengeance/redemption.

Reactions: bbfan419

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Long way from there, but I don’t care who they will play.

I think that game 7 loss will have the effect of that 3-0 3-0 lead loss to the Flyers in 2010.

Bruins will be ready and looking for vengeance/redemption.
The Bruins have a great shot at the cup again this year, add more scoring a good top 6 F and they will be hard to stop.

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Playoffs are an entirely different animal.

‘14, they were coming off a trip to the finals and won the Presidents’ Trophy only to get bounced in the first round.

Regular season means jack come playoff time.

Reactions: Estlin

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Playoffs are an entirely different animal.

‘14, they were coming off a trip to the finals and won the Presidents’ Trophy only to get bounced in the first round.

Regular season means jack come playoff time.

2nd round against the lowly Habs.

Miller made a huge mistake early in game 6 to give them momentum and Bruins lost in 7.

Iginla like 20 posts in this series.

Definitely one Cup that went away...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
at 10 game benchmark... 16 points is second in nhl

ironically the only team higher is Colorado who got the benefit of that weakcrap goalie interference call on krejci {plus a weaksauce offside too} when they beat us

I guess no one cares who the best team in nhl is after 10 games... but for anyone that said we would start slow do to a Stanley cup hangover I guess we can put those rumors to bed

team looks like they want to give tampa's record last season a run... just some amazing hockey so far

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Keep hearing mapel leaf fans worry they might have to face us round1

After 13 games, toronto is % wise 12th in east... once other teams play their games in hand toronto is way off the pace to make playoffs

Meanwhile boston is second in league... the team ahead of us benefitted by very iffy goal callback... they are losing as i type this so we should finish tonight as best team in league

If toronto expects to play us... they will need to improve some and squeek into last wildcard spot

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Keep hearing mapel leaf fans worry they might have to face us round1

After 13 games, Toronto is % wise 12th in east... once other teams play their games in hand toronto is way off the pace to make playoffs

Meanwhile Boston is second in the league... the team ahead of us benefitted by very iffy goal callback... they are losing as i type this so we should finish tonight as best team in league

If Toronto expects to play us... they will need to improve some and squeek into last wildcard spot

Bruins have the least regulation losses

upload_2019-10-27_1-34-12.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad