NHL should keep its 2020-21 alignment until a Canadian team wins the Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Before further replies are made, I encourage people to read my occupation and location.

Bettman's reputation in Canada has largely suffered throughout his tenure as commissioner. I feel if he doesn't agree to keeping this temporary alignment, the Canadian teams will find some way to force him out.

AFAIC, Bettman should have never been made commish. The NHL was the one league where Canadian teams were dominant, and I felt it should have stayed that way.

Remember, I was only a toddler the last time a Canadian team won the Cup. No Canadian team ever won in my adolescence, and one has yet to win during my adulthood.

Lol.

Basically, please don't criticize my terrible ideas if you think they're terrible?

Why stop at letting them have their own division? Maybe we should give Canadian teams a point for losing in regulation to US teams, too? Or better yet, maybe we could have the CNHL, where Canadian teams can be awarded the Canadian Stanley Cup, in their own league?

Where do mentalities like this even come from? Where is the satisfaction in winning with handicaps? FFS.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I love the Canadian division, but not for the sake of a cup coming back to Canada. It's just hella entertaining. But it'll only be when the borders are closed or strict protocols.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Before further replies are made, I encourage people to read my occupation and location.

It's a discussion forum. If you don't want harsh criticism of your ideas, maybe a discussion forum isn't for you.

Speaking as an administrator, if people want to talk about your idea within the confines of the site rules, they're free to do so. If you aren't happy with that, I encourage you to read your occupation and location.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
As far as I am concerned, people in Tampa Bay are very spoiled, more spoiled than spoiled milk.

It's such an injustice that two of their three teams have competent management and an environment that people want to play in.

As I am mainly a CBJ fan, remember they were eliminated by TB last year.

The sooner you realize that the fate of a faceless corporate entity that doesn't know you exist does not define your life, things will improve greatly. It usually happens in your early 20's.

Thanks to your post, I hope a Canadian team reverse-sweeps the Blue Jackets. My only motivating factor here is spite.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
No, these threads admit that the US teams are more attractive cities to live in and play for especially when you account for external factors like taxes. So it’s not really a level playing field when players prefer to sign with US teams or sign for cheaper rates to play there.

Also, try not to forget that most of the top US teams that have won a cup have been led by Canadian players. It’s nothing to do with Canadian teams being incompetent, the rules are just stacked against them.
So you are saying that it's just better to live in the US than in Canada?

Seriously, there is no rule against Canadian teams. Rules are same for everyone. Nothing is stacked towards any team. And keeping Canadian division won't help Canadian team win cup. It just ensures that 1 makes it to the final 4. It took an incredible upset for montreal to even make it to finals.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I like how these threads basically admit the Canadian teams are too incompetent to win a cup in reality so they deserve a handicap to help them.
If you think it's because of incompetency that 7 Canadian teams haven't won a Cup in 28 years then... you know what? No use explaining it, you wouldn't understand anyway.

And if anything, Habs were disadvantaged this year with all the traveling and their Covid schedule. Yet, they never made excuses, they kept playing their hearts out.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Nope. The Canadian teams are not these awesome entities that need to be held back by the league in order to not win the cup.
If you look back at the last 28 years, it's not just the Canadian teams that have not won the cup. A lot of the American teams haven't won it either.
And I have no problem with that. If you don't earn it, then you don't win the cup. It wouldn't be as big a deal to win it if it was just handed to teams for, reasons...
If your management isn't good enough. If your organization isn't good enough, then you don't win. That's why we're here, for the competition. This is not a charity.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The Atlantic is a better division imo. If Canadian teams aren't good enough too bad for them.

Reactions: holy

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
I think the NHL should have a league and a Stanley Cup trophy just for Canadian teams so we don't have to hear people from the north cry about how a Canadian team hasn't won the cup. Newsflash people, the teams in Canada are in the same league as the teams in North America. It's not Canada vs. North America.

Last edited:
Reactions: kodoshin

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I wouldn't mind keeping the alignment (with inter-division play added back though) but not for this reason - we don't need a guaranteed final-four place every year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The league is going to return to is pre pandemic schedule where all the teams play all the teams. That all Canadian division will be in a conference where only the division winner makes the playoffs.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Oh yeah totally, let's add Seattle to the West and have one division with 7 teams and one with 9. Makes total sense.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
it's almost like OP "Big Man Z 1990" is trolling all the Canadian teams... a time-honored tradition when one of them loses after a decent run :sarcasm:

If you've read any of his other ideas, you'd know that he's deadly serious. If you haven't, I'm impressed.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
It would be the only way the first three rounds of the playoffs are guaranteed to be on Canadian TV.

If the previous format is used and all Canadian playoff teams are eliminated before the final four, then Rogers and CBC should back out of televising the rest of the playoffs, demoting Canadian TV coverage to Centre Ice.

If it gets to the point where in Canada, the SCF is only available through Centre Ice as a result of being between two American teams, then it would seal Gary Bettman's removal as commissioner, in favor of one who would get the Canadian teams dominant again.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I like how these threads basically admit the Canadian teams are too incompetent to win a cup in reality so they deserve a handicap to help them.

It's almost like there's only 7 Canadian teams vs 24 soon to be 25 US teams. What are the odds ?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I’d rather the Oilers be in the Pacific where they should be pushing Vegas for the top spot in division if Holland makes good depth additions with the cap space we have.

Reactions: Summer Rose

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
f*** no. Basically saying you need charity. Get there by playing all the teams in the league and not playing in shitty division for Canadian teams.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It would be the only way the first three rounds of the playoffs are guaranteed to be on Canadian TV.

If the previous format is used and all Canadian playoff teams are eliminated before the final four, then Rogers and CBC should back out of televising the rest of the playoffs, demoting Canadian TV coverage to Centre Ice.

If it gets to the point where in Canada, the SCF is only available through Centre Ice as a result of being between two American teams, then it would seal Gary Bettman's removal as commissioner, in favor of one who would get the Canadian teams dominant again.

You know they broadcast all the playoff games in Canada, right? Even the the ones between American teams. I'm not sure what reality you're living in if you think the owners want to get rid of Bettman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad