NHL should keep its 2020-21 alignment until a Canadian team wins the Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
With how close Canada came to ending its Stanley Cup drought, I think the COVID alignment should be kept until a North Division team finally wins the Cup. The only difference would be that while the playoff format is the same, the regular season format would return to having everyone play each other twice a year at least.

Gary Bettman owes those teams that much, he did take dominance of the league away from them after he became commish.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Canadian teams don't need no charity.
Besides, in a regular non covid season, what you suggest is teams play each other only a couple of times and that would be a real rivalry killer (We love the BOA out here) and the other way the constant travel between Ontario/Quebec and Western Canada, would be a real hardship and totally unfair.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Weird thread. Also, Bettman doesn't care for Canadian teams. All in all, any kind of favoritism should be out of the question.

Reactions: HabsQC

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Before further replies are made, I encourage people to read my occupation and location.

Bettman's reputation in Canada has largely suffered throughout his tenure as commissioner. I feel if he doesn't agree to keeping this temporary alignment, the Canadian teams will find some way to force him out.

AFAIC, Bettman should have never been made commish. The NHL was the one league where Canadian teams were dominant, and I felt it should have stayed that way.

Remember, I was only a toddler the last time a Canadian team won the Cup. No Canadian team ever won in my adolescence, and one has yet to win during my adulthood.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
As far as I am concerned, people in Tampa Bay are very spoiled, more spoiled than spoiled milk. As I am mainly a CBJ fan, remember they were eliminated by TB last year. An elimination that should have cost Torts his job, had it, we might have been in the playoffs this year.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
With how close Canada came to ending its Stanley Cup drought, I think the COVID alignment should be kept until a North Division team finally wins the Cup. The only difference would be that while the playoff format is the same, the regular season format would return to having everyone play each other twice a year at least.

Gary Bettman owes those teams that much, he did take dominance of the league away from them after he became commish.

now, that's rich:biglaugh:

by the way, i like what you said…..it gave me a good laugh mr. occupation location

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
Yeah, no. I actually wouldn't mind adjusting the schedule so there's more games between Canadian teams, but this doesn't make sense. I also don't like the whole divisional playoff system and think we should go back to the 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 system across the whole conference.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Interesting to consider an all Canadian division "charity". It has by far the worst travel schedule. Spread across 4 time zones.

Get my Oilers back into the Pacific. Should be a weak division for a few years to come.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021

From the Scotia North to the Affirmative Action North.

Reactions: Petey O

Jan 21, 2018
I like how these threads basically admit the Canadian teams are too incompetent to win a cup in reality so they deserve a handicap to help them.

No, these threads admit that the US teams are more attractive cities to live in and play for especially when you account for external factors like taxes. So it’s not really a level playing field when players prefer to sign with US teams or sign for cheaper rates to play there.

Also, try not to forget that most of the top US teams that have won a cup have been led by Canadian players. It’s nothing to do with Canadian teams being incompetent, the rules are just stacked against them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No, these threads admit that the US teams are more attractive cities to live in and play for especially when you account for external factors like taxes. So it’s not really a level playing field when players prefer to sign with US teams or sign for cheaper rates to play there.

Also, try not to forget that most of the top US teams that have won a cup have been led by Canadian players. It’s nothing to do with Canadian teams being incompetent, the rules are just stacked against them.

The Leafs literally signed the best player to hit UFA in the last 10 years and you're whining about signability issues because of taxes? :laugh:

You're just making excuses because it's easier to blame everyone else outside of realizing your favorite team(s) are bad at their jobs

Which do you think is greater:

1. The amount of NHL players who signed with any given low tax team because of their low taxes
2. The amount of NHL players who signed with any given Canadian team because it's where they were born

Spoiler alert, #2 is much larger than #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark