NHL Seattle hiring continues

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Detroit already said they aren't firing their HC. 2nd thing is Gallant won't take a coachng job on crappy teams like detroit. He didn't with the devils.
Blashill's contract ends after this season, and you know Gallant was drafted by the Wings and played with Stevie Y, right?

They've got enough talent in the pipeline and tons of salary cap space, they'll only be completely crappy for one more season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Blashill's contract ends after this season, and you know Gallant was drafted by the Wings and played with Stevie Y, right?

They've got enough talent in the pipeline and tons of salary cap space, they'll only be completely crappy for one more season.

and there is no gurantee detroit will actually come out from the bottom of the league. If he didn't want to play for devils which is just as much as a mess as the red wings why do you think he wants to coach Detroit. He'll have better success and luck with Seattle than he would with Detroit.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
and there is no gurantee detroit will actually come out from the bottom of the league. If he didn't want to play for devils which is just as much as a mess as the red wings why do you think he wants to coach Detroit. He'll have better success and luck with Seattle than he would with Detroit.
Because he played for the team for 9 seasons? There's something to be said for living in an area that you are already familiar with, working with people you already know, and working for the same family that you played for. (Mike Ilitch's son Chris now runs the team.)

Taking the coaching job means he has to have faith in the GM to improve the team. Gallant and Stevie know each other well. Plus keep in mind that Gallant has been fired in his third season 3 times. He might be able to get a little more rope from his former linemate.

There is absolutely no guarantee that Seattle will be a better team than Detroit in 3 years anyways.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Because he played for the team for 9 seasons? There's something to be said for living in an area that you are already familiar with, working with people you already know, and working for the same family that you played for. (Mike Ilitch's son Chris now runs the team.)

Taking the coaching job means he has to have faith in the GM to improve the team. Gallant and Stevie know each other well. Plus keep in mind that Gallant has been fired in his third season 3 times. He might be able to get a little more rope from his former linemate.

There is absolutely no guarantee that Seattle will be a better team than Detroit in 3 years anyways.

And what makes you think Detroit will actually be better than Seattle in 3 years given the situation the league is in with the virus? If detroit wants him so bad then why not fire the guy they have and hire him? They have yet to fire their HC.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And what makes you think Detroit will actually be better than Seattle in 3 years given the situation the league is in with the virus? If detroit wants him so bad then why not fire the guy they have and hire him? They have yet to fire their HC.
Gallant still has one season left on his Vegas contract, so he's getting paid to do nothing. Why would HE want to sign anything during the COVID season?

The Wings took the one year team option extension on Blashill's contract. With COVID going on, Chris Ilitch isn't spending on the team. Blashill is a cheap coach for one more season of tanking. Plus the Wings have 6 prospects playing in the SHL, so they can't come over until the SHL season is over. It's a throw away season.

WHy do I think the Wings will be better the following season? Cap space.
Detroit Red Wings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Only 9 players under contract for 21-22. Only 2 players signed for the following season. All of Holland's bad contracts expire then. With the salary cap staying flat, it will be a buyer's market for UFA again next offseason.

You seem to spew a lot of hate for someone with very little knowledge. In the end, Gallant will pick whichever team he wants to coach, arguing with me won't change that.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Not to talk down on the Kraken, but this team is off to a bad start with Francis and Botterill in the front office.

To make a full judgement on the Kraken I'll need to see who they hire as the head coach. I want a smooth and amazing start for the Kraken, but the management doesn't look too good right now. Again, sceptical about McPhee being Vegas's GM with bad trades such as Forsberg for Erat, but he did carry it with Vegas by trading away a first, second and third for Tatar then using Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd for Pacioretty which is similar to the Forsberg for Erat trade. But McCrimmon has been doing well as GM for the Golden Knights.

Francis made odd trades, but some good ones, although he was lucky Chicago had salary cap problems. On the other hand, he made questionable draft picks, I mean arguably good picks with Hanafin, Aho, Necas, Foegele and Wallmark who are in the NHL right now. Though there is more scouting that might not be an issue. But I'm just saying if things go south starting 2021-22, they'll both be out within four seasons from now.

Reason I compare these two franchises is because they both are the most recent expansion teams in the NHL.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
As a displaced Pittsburgher, now eager Kraken season ticket holder, I wonder what why such negativity pervades here? Bots was a critical part of the construction and development of the Penguins back to back cup teams and did a superior job managing youth and economical talent in Wilkes Barre to supplement a sometimes top-heavy team. Guentzel, Sheary, Rust and others flourished under Bots, and were irreplaceable contributors in the SC runs.

The Pittsburgh organization certainly held him in high regard, inviting him back for the '17 championship celebration even though he had moved on to GM with the Sabres. Speaking of Buffalo, that is one of, if not the very worst situation for a GM in this league. Terrible ownership, doesn't spend smart, decades of disappointment. At least Edmonton has a storied history to be proud of. Buffalo has zero cups in 50 years and wasted the prime of one of the greatest goalies who ever lived. In any case, the BUF reign is hardly the end-all book on Botterill without context, and who knows, maybe his niche is as an assistant GM?

I can't disconnect my affection for Francis from my memories of him as the best two way player in Pens history in his time in our early 90's glory years, but I assume @Myliz could share horror stories from the Carolina experience? I'll remain optimistic in the meantime. So far, the organization has looked pretty polished and top end. Hopefully this translates on the ice?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
As a displaced Pittsburgher, now eager Kraken season ticket holder, I wonder what why such negativity pervades here? Bots was a critical part of the construction and development of the Penguins back to back cup teams and did a superior job managing youth and economical talent in Wilkes Barre to supplement a sometimes top-heavy team. Guentzel, Sheary, Rust and others flourished under Bots, and were irreplaceable contributors in the SC runs.

The Pittsburgh organization certainly held him in high regard, inviting him back for the '17 championship celebration even though he had moved on to GM with the Sabres. Speaking of Buffalo, that is one of, if not the very worst situation for a GM in this league. Terrible ownership, doesn't spend smart, decades of disappointment. At least Edmonton has a storied history to be proud of. Buffalo has zero cups in 50 years and wasted the prime of one of the greatest goalies who ever lived. In any case, the BUF reign is hardly the end-all book on Botterill without context, and who knows, maybe his niche is as an assistant GM?

I can't disconnect my affection for Francis from my memories of him as the best two way player in Pens history in his time in our early 90's glory years, but I assume @Myliz could share horror stories from the Carolina experience? I'll remain optimistic in the meantime. So far, the organization has looked pretty polished and top end. Hopefully this translates on the ice?

I live in Raleigh, but I'm originally from Buffalo and have been a lifelong Sabres fan, hence my comment about Botts. I don't know anything about the Canes or Francis' time with them, I've only been in Raleigh a couple years. It's certainly true that the situation in Buffalo is awful, especially with ownership clearly not caring about the team as much as the Buffalo Bills. That said, Botts was hailed as this cap genius that made all these great moves in Pittsburgh when he came to Buffalo, and his reign was anything but great cap moves. He was also supposed to be the guy who would make the organization more "professional", because ownership hated how flamboyant and loud Tim Murray was. Again, never happened. Fan support went way down during the Botts years because he stopped communicating with the fanbase and made cuts to programs that were designed to keep the fans engaged. He also ousted the heart and soul of the team (Ryan O'Reilly), labeling him a "locker room cancer" due to him saying he had lost his passion in an honest post-season interview. The majority of his decisions were simply straight up baffling.

Maybe his niche is as an AGM, who knows. From my standpoint, I'm not optimistic having lived through his terrible decisions with Buffalo the past handful of seasons.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I agree there was a lot of ink about Botts being a cap genius, didn't every really understand where that was coming from. And ownership notwithstanding, his Buffalo tenure was not good. But viewed in context with his body of work, and the likely far more positive structure of the Kraken org, I'm optimistic. I also doubt I could name five NHL assistant general managers without cheating.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I agree there was a lot of ink about Botts being a cap genius, didn't every really understand where that was coming from. And ownership notwithstanding, his Buffalo tenure was not good. But viewed in context with his body of work, and the likely far more positive structure of the Kraken org, I'm optimistic. I also doubt I could name five NHL assistant general managers without cheating.

That's why I'm not too terribly concerned, he's not going to have as much impact with Seattle as he did in Buffalo running the show. Like I said originally, I just hope Francis keeps him away from roster moves.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
That's why I'm not too terribly concerned, he's not going to have as much impact with Seattle as he did in Buffalo running the show. Like I said originally, I just hope Francis keeps him away from roster moves.
At least Botterill will know about the Sabres prospects and who would be good for Seattle in the expansion draft...someone young(23-25) and relatively inexpensive...see Buffalo going the 8 skater route protecting 4 F and 4 D with Ullmark! Either Tage Thompson,Casey Mittelstadt or Brandon Montour! At this point its gotta be Thompson or Montour,cause Mittelstadt has shit the bed so far!

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
At least Botterill will know about the Sabres prospects and who would be good for Seattle in the expansion draft...someone young(23-25) and relatively inexpensive...see Buffalo going the 8 skater route protecting 4 F and 4 D with Ullmark! Either Tage Thompson,Casey Mittelstadt or Brandon Montour! At this point its gotta be Thompson or Montour,cause Mittelstadt has shit the bed so far!

I'd actually be curious if Botts took Mitts if he was made available from Buffalo. He shouldn't, he has bust written all over him, but Botts might still be high on him since he drafted him. I don't think Buffalo will give up on him yet so he likely won't be available either way, but it would be interesting.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I'd actually be curious if Botts took Mitts if he was made available from Buffalo. He shouldn't, he has bust written all over him, but Botts might still be high on him since he drafted him. I don't think Buffalo will give up on him yet so he likely won't be available either way, but it would be interesting.
The mistake with Mittelstadt was turning him pro a year out of University hockey! That and Casey has not proved to be a work-out warrior and 2nd centre envisioned by the "brass"!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I don't see why Buffalo should protect only eight skaters and not go 7-3-1.

On the blueline only Dahlin and Jokihari are locks for me, with Ristolainen most likely being the third player protected.
Milller is solid but nothing you couldn't replace and the rest are either meh, really young or UFA like McCabe.

On offense I have them protecting Eichel, Skinner(NMC), Hall(he's got an NMC, which will limit him being traded during the season and they want to keep Eichel happy), Reinhardt, Olofsson and a couple of younger guys who earn it.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I don't see why Buffalo should protect only eight skaters and not go 7-3-1.

On the blueline only Dahlin and Jokihari are locks for me, with Ristolainen most likely being the third player protected.
Milller is solid but nothing you couldn't replace and the rest are either meh, really young or UFA like McCabe.

On offense I have them protecting Eichel, Skinner(NMC), Hall(he's got an NMC, which will limit him being traded during the season and they want to keep Eichel happy), Reinhardt, Olofsson and a couple of younger guys who earn it.
Hall only signed for 1 year! What youngsters were you thinking about? Asplund?Girgensons,who's going to be 27 when Seattle starts barking out names.?Really they have 4 forwards worth protecting the rest are meh! Unless someone or a few have monster seasons? Girgensons has been shelved for the year I hear

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Given the entire Kraken immediate future is one gigantic series of "roster moves", I seriously doubt Botts will be disconnected from player analysis, but in any case it looks like Ronnie is going to have plenty of support in terms of scouting and analytics. For whatever the hell scouting is worth these days.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Todd Nelson might be a good pick-up. But I see it being someone closely connected to Ron Francis like Mike Vellucci. Won a Calder Cup as head coach and knows Francis well. Ulf Samuelsson might return as the coach. Jeff Daniels too.

Steve Smith is worth mentioning who is connected to Botterill and Francis, who would likely come as head coach of the AHL team.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
There are some rumors that former Portland Winterhawk scout/asst GM and very recent former Kamloops Blazer GM Matt Bardsley could be hired by the Kraken. Unsure in what capacity though.. potentially a scout.

Out of nowhere he left the Blazers with 3 years remaining on his contract to "be closer to his family" in the States. He has family in California, Oregon and Washington... just seemed strange out of nowhere him leaving right now.

He was apart of MANY good Winterhawks teams and also did a fantastic job as Blazers GM... its not a forsure thing, but it's just a rumor I heard that he may join the Kraken. IMO it would be a fantastic hiring

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I didn't see it in this thread, but I did see Seattle hired one Martin Hlinka to run the Kraken Youth Hockey program. I've known and worked with Marty for the past few years here in Buffalo, where he was an assistant coach on Trevor Large's staff for the Canisius College Golden Griffins NCAA team. Y'all are getting a great one in Marty. He's fantastic, and he will do great things for you in Seattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad