Injury Report: NHL Season to be postponed

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They could have tested all players and trainers coming in and out of the arena and played without fans.

Yup and keep all players, coaches, trainers isolated and cancel the season as soon as 1 player tests positive and enjoy the optics.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
No chance they award a cup without going through some form of playoffs.

The interesting stuff will be what happens with the draft? How will Teams be compensated for picks moved for a playoff run if that run never happens?
I'm sure there are many more.

Maybe a weighted lottery?

Set the order based on the standings as of today. Non playoff teams go through that process. Playoff teams then go through it

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Maybe they can start free agency early and the leafs can get their defense corps in order....

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No announcement yet makes me think we might still have a game tonight. If so then we better win!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No chance they award a cup without going through some form of playoffs.

The interesting stuff will be what happens with the draft? How will Teams be compensated for picks moved for a playoff run if that run never happens?
I'm sure there are many more.

I'd guess no compensation - too complicated to figure out what would be fair. And nothing would be 100% fair to everyone so it's just one of those things, along the lines of a natural disaster not covered by insurance.

Reactions: glue

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Go into playoffs with the current standings?
OR
Have teams who haven't played 71 games catch up and cap it at 71 before playoffs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd guess no compensation - too complicated to figure out what would be fair. And nothing would be 100% fair to everyone so it's just one of those things, along the lines of a natural disaster not covered by insurance.
I'd guess the same. I guess we can be thankful Dubas stood pat.

Wonder how long it will be before the first player tests positive? Only a matter of time.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
This is 100% proof that the world has gone mad, and that the majority of people are suckers.

STOKE THE FEAR!

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
In Italy, they are choosing which people to treat and which ones to let die.

And turning away heart attack victims and other trauma in the process. Because the system is overwhelmed.

All for the flu.... sheesh.

Turning away heart attack victims? That I do not believe.

Reactions: ACC1224

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
OR
Have teams who haven't played 71 games catch up and cap it at 71 before playoffs

If they decide to go to straight playoffs then there is no way they get every team to 71 and risk those teams. They would go by pt %.

However it was reported that teams have been told to look into booking games later into the year so it looks like a delay is likely.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
OR

Doing it by PTS% seems more sensible. Having catch up games also has the issue that there would be teams involved that have zero motivation to win.

I'd guess the same. I guess we can be thankful Dubas stood pat.

Well, trading Barrie for futures would have been looked good today. Then again, maybe not as we might still have playoffs in a couple of months. We'll see ...

Wonder how long it will be before the first player tests positive? Only a matter of time.

Yup.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This isn't even close to the Spanish Flu. The Spanish Flu was remarkable because it disproportionately affected young, healthy adults. This strain of coronavirus behaves typically. Most fatal cases involve the very old and people with pre-existing conditions.

True. 16.9% of the population are senior citizens (65 years of age or older). Then add in the percentage of population with diabetes which is 9.4 %. That's 27% without adding the people with respiratory issues. Not sure what the exact number/percentage is "at risk" exactly, but numbers might be higher than some are thinking.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
It's the right decision. Hopefully the season or post-season can eventually continue but in the short-term, the NHL made the correct call.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The last 24 hours have been a whirlwind, holy crap.

Did not think this would all unfold so fast.
no kidding, everything was a little ominous but still felt distant until like 9pm last night then it was just one thing after another landing at our doorstep. Feels very real now, also feels like it's being feared like a virus with a mortality rate like ebola.

The scary thing is, for anyone who's played Plague Inc, the growth in infection really tends to skyrocket in the models when you get to like 100k infections or so and we'll probably see that number balloon before the growth slows at all.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
It is unique though given that the average flu affects both young and old. Corona seems to only affect the old.

Coronavirus and influenza are different viruses with different epidemiological profiles. The skew towards the elderly and immunocompromised is typical of pathogenic coronaviridae and exactly how 2002 SARS behaved. MERS is another coronavirus syndrome that shows the same behavior.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's the right decision. Hopefully the season or post-season can eventually continue but I'm the short-term, the NHL made the correct call.

if it hasnt resumed by may 1st they cant possibly finish the remaining 12 games and then have playoff series, the season wouldn't end before next years is due to start

edit: hell april 1st would be very tight, they award the cup in mid june usually that owuld still push it back to july/august (ish)

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I swear if I hear somebody on the main boards say "Matthew's is not even a 50 goal scorer" LOL

In all honesty, I just hope everything get's under control and people stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad