OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Actually there is data, you're just ignoring it. There is the CDC data I showed, and even if you multiply the cases confirmed by 4 you end up with a whopping 3.5% of the United states.
No there isn't. In order for there to be long term data...time has to pass. This has been here roughly 6 months. That's not enough time. Don't be dense.
Also... cases don't grow in a linear way...it grows exponentially and that data does not show day to day as numbers get adjusted all the time and then are not necessarily reported by the media as it would be almost impossible to continually go back and report data from days or weeks or months before.
It can be done by the CDC but it won't likely be reported widespread.
You can stick your head in the sand on this...but don't expect the rest of us to buy your BS.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Actually there is data, you're just ignoring it. There is the CDC data I showed, and even if you multiply the cases confirmed by 4 you end up with a whopping 3.5% of the United states.

There's a reason why you're doing the math on that, and it's because it's a meaningless use of that data. But go ahead and hug it, and tell it "This is fine."

Reactions: Ban Hammered

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There's a reason why you're doing the math on that, and it's because it's a meaningless use of that data. But go ahead and hug it, and tell it "This is fine."
tenor.gif

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Mine sure has - I haven't watched but 30 minutes of playoff hockey, all Wild, but found I didn't really give a rip. Same with the Twins, and I have been known as a rabid Twins fan. Still watch a little euro footie, but empty stadiums, meh.
You'd think it would fill a huge void, but for me, my receptors are nearly dead.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yes, actually. I had a really tough time getting into playoff hockey and the MLB season. I do feel like my NFL interest has remained close to normal (which is higher than hockey generally), despite the Vikings being awful.

I don’t really have an explanation why either. It’s not like I have any new hobbies to replace it. I honestly think the no-fans thing plays a decent role in it.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yes. But so has my TV watching in general. Spending more time with family, being outdoors, and reading. Big Ten football is almost here and not even sure I am going to bother getting a streaming service for it.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
So this sort of ties into an interesting topic that had been brought up. With COVID not disappearing any time soon, do you think we, as a society, move away from consumerism?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It's getting worse again in the US and in Europe.

Can we blame China for this? Well here are the latest from that country, in the last two weeks they had just 300 cases, in a country with 1.2 billion people. The virus is basically wiped out there.

Same in New Zealand. They shut down everything after a few cases, now there's very little virus and people can live a normal life.

So sad we didn't do the right things here to stop it, now it's too late.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
It's getting worse again in the US and in Europe.

Can we blame China for this? Well here are the latest from that country, in the last two weeks they had just 300 cases, in a country with 1.2 billion people. The virus is basically wiped out there.

Same in New Zealand. They shut down everything after a few cases, now there's very little virus and people can live a normal life.

So sad we didn't do the right things here to stop it, now it's too late.
If you believe that China only had 300 cases in the past two weeks I've got a bridge to sell you.

If you want to lay blame for "not doing the right things" you should be blaming society as a whole. I don't look to government on how I should be living my life and you shouldn't either. Certainly not the federal government.

I have family in Switzerland and they're clamping down again on social gatherings and mandatory mask wearing.

Reactions: zellmatic

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I thought things were good in Norway?

Yeah the virus struggles with Norwegians.
That's why CNN asked the prime minister "what are you eating over there?"

If you believe that China only had 300 cases in the past two weeks I've got a bridge to sell you.

It's the official stats from the World Health Organization. Chinese telling the truth? Who knows.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
'GREAT DAY FOR SCIENCE AND HUMANITY': Pfizer says COVID-19 vaccine is over 90% effective | Canoe.Com
Pfizer said on Monday its experimental COVID-19 vaccine was more than 90% effective, a major victory in the fight against a pandemic that has killed more than a million people, battered the world’s economy and upended daily life.
Pfizer and German partner BioNTech SE are the first drugmakers to release successful data from a large-scale clinical trial of a coronavirus vaccine. The companies said they have so far found no serious safety concerns and expect to seek U.S. authorization this month for emergency use of the vaccine.
Pfizer expects to seek broad U.S. authorization for emergency use of the vaccine for people aged 16 to 85. To do so, it will need two months of safety data from about half the study’s 44,000 participants, which his expected late this month.
Pfizer and BioNTech have a $1.95 billion contract with the U.S. government to deliver 100 million vaccine doses beginning this year. They have also reached supply agreements with the European Union, the United Kingdom, Canada and Japan.
To save time, the companies began manufacturing the vaccine before they knew whether it would be effective. They now expect to produce up to 50 million doses, or enough to protect 25 million people this year.
Pfizer said it expects to produce up to 1.3 billion doses of the vaccine in 2021.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
While good news, my impression was that there is a ways to go. The amounts of people and time involved are not enough to be statistically significant...yet.

Getting a working vaccine would be great. Getting one that is 90% effective(with no side effects) would be a home run.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This means there's a chance at returning to normality late next year. Possibly fans in the stands come next fall in the season after this next NHL season?

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
This means there's a chance at returning to normality late next year. Possibly fans in the stands come next fall in the season after this next NHL season?
If you can get enough people to take the vaccine. The way herd immunity works is when everyone who can receive a vaccine without suffering any significant side effects gets it so the few who can't for medical reasons will be protected. There is a significant amount of people in this country that will fight tooth and nail to not receive this vaccine. I hope sports teams go the way that TM says they are where you need to show proof you received the vaccine.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Sports people will get the vaccine first. The rest of us will probably have access close to mid year 2021.

I wonder if I need it as I have the Rona right now.

My bodies defense system is throwing in body jail right next to the jail cells that contain herpes, syphilis, hep c, hep b, hep a, gonorrhea, and chlamydia.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As of now, there is no strong evidence either way that getting it once confers immunity. What's more likely is that people will need a Covid shot once a year, just like a flu shot.

As for those who don't want to take the vaccine w/o a sound medical reason? Deny them access to schools, events, and businesses. Enough with this ignorant nonsense.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
As of now, there is no strong evidence either way that getting it once confers immunity. What's more likely is that people will need a Covid shot once a year, just like a flu shot.

As for those who don't want to take the vaccine w/o a sound medical reason? Deny them access to schools, events, and businesses. Enough with this ignorant nonsense.
It's a 2 dose shot, 1 dose, then another 28 days later.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014

I agree. If a specific administration tells us to take it. I'm not in.

If DOCTORS tell us to take it.

I'm all in.

Either way it will all go away just like a miracle.

Once the weather warms up it'll just disappear.

We can probably just figure out a way to inject disinfectants or insert UV lights into our bodies.

It's just a flu, like a cold.

And it is what it is.

;)

If only it wasn't a shot.

I'd prefer a suppository.

Little more festive that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
More good news...

Moderna says preliminary trial data shows its coronavirus vaccine is more than 94% effective, shares soar
The analysis evaluated 95 confirmed Covid-19 infections among the trial’s 30,000 participants. Moderna, which developed its vaccine in collaboration with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said 90 cases of Covid-19 were observed in the placebo group versus five cases observed in the group that received its two-dose vaccine. That resulted in an estimated vaccine efficacy of 94.5%, it said.
The Cambridge, Massachusetts-based company also said there were no “significant” safety concerns, adding the vaccine was generally safe and well tolerated with the majority of adverse events in participants being labeled as mild or moderate. Side effects included pain at the injection site and, after the second dose, fatigue, muscle pain and headaches.
Medical experts note it remains unclear how long the vaccine provides immunity and whether or how often people may need periodic booster shots.
Moderna said Monday its vaccine remains stable at 36 to 46 degrees Fahrenheit, the temperature of a standard home or medical refrigerator, for up to 30 days. It can be stored for up to six months at negative 4 degrees Fahrenheit. By comparison, Pfizer’s vaccine requires a storage temperature of minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad