TSN: Nhl rule changes include elimination of shootout 'spin-o-rama'

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think that's a valid comparison. Dunk contests are subjectively voted upon by judges, while shootouts are an objective did it go in? Yes or no? type situation.

How about shooting 3 pointers from mid court, but I think you get my point?.

The shootout is a Bettman thing trying to bring non hockey fans into the sport. Then the NHL rewards team with more ROW wins excluding shootout results from tiebreakers. So he recognizes himself its an individual event in a team sport.

hockeyfanz*

Rule shoulda been to eradicate the stupidest tie breaker in all sports that led to the stupidest points system in all sports.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I like this rule change

As for penalties, two offences of clipping, charging, elbowing, interference, kneeing, head-butting or butt-ending with the stick will lead to a game misconduct. Tripping is also clarified to be a penalty if a player dives with his body, arm or shoulder to interfere with an opponent, even if he gets to the puck first.

I guess that is a rule stolen from soccer where its 2 yellow cards = 1 red card and game misconduct.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I've accepted the fact that the shootouts are here and that it's not going to change. Not my ideal way of deciding something either but it's the exact same for every team. The NHL did this partly to be TV friendly.

That spin-o-rama move was technically illegal anyways. "Forward motion". The NHL is the king of letting their own rules slide. The obstruction of the 90's was something that never had to happen.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Not a fan of the shootout personally but I guess they need something because there MUST be a winner and loser.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ridiculous. Who cares if players use a gimmick within a larger gimmick?

Not a fan of the shootout personally but I guess they need something because there MUST be a winner and loser.

I disagree Hurt. Why MUST their be a winner and loser? Was anyone really upset with ties?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I remember losing my **** when Grabovski did that spin to the forehand goal.

Unfortunate that we lose some interesting moves, but it was necessary as it sparked too much controversy with players stopping

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I disagree Hurt. Why MUST their be a winner and loser? Was anyone really upset with ties?

yeah. i mean soccer has ties.
3-2-1
3 wins
2 OT win
1 tied point

nothing if you lost.

woila. no one is playing for the tie or shoot out loss point, it's still exciting, because everyone will be going for it, especially when it's crunch time and teams NEED to have 3 points or 2 points and having a tied point won't cut it.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
yeah. i mean soccer has ties.
3-2-1
3 wins
2 OT win
1 tied point

nothing if you lost.

woila. no one is playing for the tie or shoot out loss point, it's still exciting, because everyone will be going for it, especially when it's crunch time and teams NEED to have 3 points or 2 points and having a tied point won't cut it.

Even the NFL has ties, albeit they rarely happen, but still.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
here's an idea. don't have a shootout.

Solves everything. If a tie is really a bad thing, which I am not convinced that it is, just extend OT until someone finally scores. Sooner or later someone will crack as exhaustion gets to them. Works with baseball, why not here?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The fines for embellishment or diving is the rule change I like the most. Really would love to get this out of the game.

This is a major step fwd to eliminating known divers, and or the elimination of rewarding known diving teams. Hockey should not resemble Soccor.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Well the shootout rules state the puck must be moving forward and a the spin-a-rama causes the puck to go backwards as the player spins. It should have been illegal from the start.

A player might as well skate in deke the goalie and when there is no room to shoot, circle the net and tuck it in the other side. Its the spin-a-rama only with the net in the middle. :)

Shootouts in hockey are the equivalent if they went to a slam dunk contest to decide NBA games that are tied.

Exactly!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Solves everything. If a tie is really a bad thing, which I am not convinced that it is, just extend OT until someone finally scores. Sooner or later someone will crack as exhaustion gets to them. Works with baseball, why not here?

Basketball too. like whatever the reason is why they can't have uber-long overtimes (mostly because one team has to jet off to somewhere - which again doesn't seem to affect basketball players much) .

because the shootout which was ONLY supposed to be "ah look, we tied. oh let us shootout." (ie: we rarely saw it) - has turned into "oh, look. it's the shootout. AGAIN."

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

I didn't express that right. I'd be very glad with ties but according to the NHL, there must be a win or a loss. Which is stupid.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Was the spinorama really that big a deal? It's offensive skill. Not sure why they needed a rule on that.

Most of these seem to be more like "enhancements" than new rules. Even the tripping with anything other than a stick .. I always thought they were called.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Frankly I don't care what changes are made to the shoot-out. Just call me when the whole thing is done away with.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Well the shootout rules state the puck must be moving forward and a the spin-a-rama causes the puck to go backwards as the player spins. It should have been illegal from the start.

This. First time I ever saw it, the commentators were shocked it counted because of the absolute stop in the middle. Glad this is gone.

I guess they're making the trapezoid even bigger...just get rid of it. :help:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
What exactly aren't you allowed to do now? Do we know how the rule is worded? The puck doesn't necessarily stop moving forward on a spinorama. So are you not allowed to turn around or what?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

The "spin-o-rama" move is also eliminated from the penalty shots.

NHL yanks spin-o-rama for shootouts

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/09/11/nhl_yanks_spinorama_for_shootouts.html

The spin-o-rama move — made popular by greats such as Bobby Orr and Denis Savard — can no longer be used in shootouts or on penalty shots, part of a set of sweeping rule changes announced Thursday.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Banned, but not forgotten: Best NHL spin-o-ramas

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/11/banned-but-not-forgotten-best-nhl-spin-o-ramas

The NHL banned the cheeky move Thursday, effectively eliminating one of the more exciting plays in hockey for nearly a decade.

So, what better time than now to salute the misunderstood spin-o-rama with a few memorable moves over the years?

Here's a list of the videos in the article............

Steven Stamkos fools Carey Price and scores with a flick of the wrist:

Lars Eller gives the gears to Al Montoya, and then falls over the goaltender on the follow-through:

Mason Raymond goes top shelf as Sergei Bobrovsky slides out of his crease:

Evgeni Malkin freezes Carey Price and does a 360-degree turn before backhanding the puck into the net:

Todd Bertuzzi's backhand goes over Mike Smith's glove, roofing the puck top shelf:

Jason Blake makes Scott Clemmensen commit one way, stops and pops puck into net:

Mikhail Grabovski surprises himself with a rare spin to score against Michal Neuvirth:

Josh Bailey and Ryan Strome pull off the same move, heading in different directions, to score on Martin Brodeur:

Kaspars Daugavins with an interesting move, akin to ringette, as he's stopped by Tuukka Rask:

An honourable mention to Linus Omark, who spins at centre ice before scoring the game winner:

Players must tip their hat to Denis Savard, who came up with Savardian Spin-o-rama back in the 1980s:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Players must tip their hat to Denis Savard, who came up with Savardian Spin-o-rama back in the 1980s:

Point of interest.

The "Savardian Spin-o-rama", which is a quick pivoting turn with the puck done in order to evade opponents, was coined by sportscaster Danny Gallivan and named after Serge Savard, and not Denis Savard (who was adept at the same manoeuvre) as is often thought.

The former Montreal star Dman was the first and originating source.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Basketball too. like whatever the reason is why they can't have uber-long overtimes (mostly because one team has to jet off to somewhere - which again doesn't seem to affect basketball players much) .

because the shootout which was ONLY supposed to be "ah look, we tied. oh let us shootout." (ie: we rarely saw it) - has turned into "oh, look. it's the shootout. AGAIN."

I don't think the "we need to travel" excuse means much anymore - it's not like the team's chartered jet isn't going to stick around for a while and wait.

Leafspoison*

I think it is stupid to remove the spin. It is just another way to remove some excitement from the game. They are taking out a skill from a skills competition. Allow a ref review here. If the player stays out of crease and puck continues to move forward, then its a goal.

That said, I don't like the shootout. I prefer an overtime or more to finish the game. 1 point for a win, 0 points for a loss. NHL is the only sport in the world that presents a point for losing.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Frankly I don't care what changes are made to the shoot-out. Just call me when the whole thing is done away with.

If you want the shoot out gone, you have to find away to get all teams to play to win. Right now almost all teams play not to lose. By that I mean if the score is tied half way through the third, majority of teams sit back defensively. Instead of playing aggressive to try to win the game, they would rather get the guaranteed point and win it in overtime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad