TSN: Nhl rule changes include elimination of shootout 'spin-o-rama'

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
NHL RULE CHANGES INCLUDE ELIMINATION OF SHOOTOUT 'SPIN-O-RAMA'

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461527

The National Hockey League announced on Thursday a list of rule changes that will be enforced during the upcoming 2014-15 season. The changes were agreed upon and ratified by the NHL Board of Governors over the summer.

Among the changes is the elimination of the "spin-o-rama"-style shot in both the shootout and on penalty shots. That type of shot had been the source of contention since the advent of the shootout, but up until now, was permitted.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like a typical NHL move to stifle creativity.

Why wouldn't they allow more moves and creative displays of skill? What's preventing them from allowing wraparounds on penalty shots?

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
Well, MayRay and Grabo were the only ones who even attempted the spin-o-rama (iirc they both scored).

I don't think this change will affect us too much.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
There are a number of rule changes in the article and one that I really like is this one...

Diving will once again be in the spotlight in an attempt to curb it, including more sever punishment for repeat offenders and their teams. Fines will be assessed to both players and coaches on a scale starting with a warning for a first offence up to a $5000 fine for a player or team's eighth.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
here's an idea. don't have a shootout. I don't get why the spin-o-rama is this big bad thing.

and here's another idea. instead of fining diving. just make it a 4 minute penalty + misconduct.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
remember when Hagman snowed Brodeur with the spinorama and scored? Classic. Glad this beer league move is finally gone

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Does not make sense to dis-allow spin-o-rama during shoot-out or prenalty shot but they can still do it on a clear cut break-a-way???? Not a high percentage move anyway, so no biggie.
All for punnishing the divers, but diving can be a tough call for any ref, especially if the diver is good at it.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
i'm fine with the no spin-o-rama ...... not really a big deal.

though i think fining these guys $5000 does basically nothing. $5k to these guys is an insignificant amount of money.

just call more diving penalties if they think there's a problem. but compared to soccer, diving in hockey isn't that big of a problem IMO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The shootout is a joke and circus event from the start, but removing the spin-a-rama move is a good thing as it makes a mockery of the sport.

Shootouts should only occur in All-star games and they should lengthen OT but reduce players on the ice over time.

Primary Assist

Jul 7, 2010
Does not make sense to dis-allow spin-o-rama during shoot-out or prenalty shot but they can still do it on a clear cut break-a-way???? Not a high percentage move anyway, so no biggie.
All for punnishing the divers, but diving can be a tough call for any ref, especially if the diver is good at it.

Well you're allowed to score on a rebound on a breakaway in game but not in a shootout. A penalty shot/shootout situation is way different from an in-game breakaway.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I like the rule change for a lot of reasons but mainly I like it because there's just too much grey area with these spin-o-ramas.

The player is supposed to be in a constant forward motion and allowed to deke etc. but coming to a complete stop is not allowed right?

I've seen a few spins where there seems a fraction of a second where the player has stopped really moving. And I mean they're spinning around that's not really forward motion even if their momentum is carrying them that way. It's a move to completely take the goalie out of position but it's gimmicky compared to forward motion deke.

End of the day, they should try to limit the amount of shootouts by extending the OT 4 vs. 4 for 10 uninterrupted minutes. So many games it seems like they're just getting warmed up after the first 3-4 minutes in OT and then it's over. Keep going for a full 10 minutes no period break after 5 and you'd have to think a lot more games get decided. And it's the most exciting hockey sudden death.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The rule change that I would like to see is the introduction of 1 minute penalties.

So if you shoot the puck over the glass unintentionally, it would only be a 1 minute penalty (if the ref thinks you did it on purpose, he could still call you for 2 minutes).

In terms of minor penalties, it would be up to the ref to decide if it would be a one minute or a two minute penalty.

I guess I just don't like the fact that you can do something pretty minor, and you're not preventing a scoring chance, and you'll get a 2 minute penalty ... and if you do something pretty bad that prevents a good scoring chance, it's also a two minute penalty.

The refs then often "let things go" because they don't want to ruin the game over something pretty small since a 2 minute PP is a pretty big advantage (especially in OT).

edit: the idea would be to have a similar number of penalty minutes per game. so if the average game has 6 minor penalties called (for 12 minutes of total PP time)... then with the addition of 1 minute penalities, the average game might instead have four 2min penalties and four 1min penalties... for 12 minutes of total PP time per game.

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The shootout is a joke and circus event from the start, but removing the spin-a-rama move is a good thing as it makes a mockery of the sport.

Shootouts should only occur in All-star games and they should lengthen OT but reduce players on the ice over time.

I agree that the shootout is a joke, and, a circus event! It is a one on one individual skills event that is used to decide the outcome of a TEAM GAME! That is what bothers me, hockey is a TEAM sport!

I don't think the spin-a-rama move makes a mockery of hockey one bit! It takes a great deal of skill, and co-ordination, to keep control of the puck while rotating on skates. It is not a beer league move either, as someone said in another post. Beer league players don't generally have the skills to execute a spin-a-rama at all.

What's next, forcing the shooter to shoot the puck from the face off dots? How about enforcing speed limits on skaters?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
i'm fine with the no spin-o-rama ...... not really a big deal.

though i think fining these guys $5000 does basically nothing. $5k to these guys is an insignificant amount of money.

just call more diving penalties if they think there's a problem. but compared to soccer, diving in hockey isn't that big of a problem IMO.

Maximim allowed fine under the CBA is 5k

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree that the shootout is a joke, and, a circus event! It is a one on one individual skills event that is used to decide the outcome of a TEAM GAME! That is what bothers me, hockey is a TEAM sport!

I don't think the spin-a-rama move makes a mockery of hockey one bit! It takes a great deal of skill, and co-ordination, to keep control of the puck while rotating on skates. It is not a beer league move either, as someone said in another post. Beer league players don't generally have the skills to execute a spin-a-rama at all.

What's next, forcing the shooter to shoot the puck from the face off dots? How about enforcing speed limits on skaters?

Well the shootout rules state the puck must be moving forward and a the spin-a-rama causes the puck to go backwards as the player spins. It should have been illegal from the start.

A player might as well skate in deke the goalie and when there is no room to shoot, circle the net and tuck it in the other side. Its the spin-a-rama only with the net in the middle. :)

Shootouts in hockey are the equivalent if they went to a slam dunk contest to decide NBA games that are tied.

Primary Assist

Jul 7, 2010
Shootouts in hockey are the equivalent if they went to a slam dunk contest to decide NBA games that are tied.

I don't think that's a valid comparison. Dunk contests are subjectively voted upon by judges, while shootouts are an objective did it go in? Yes or no? type situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad