News Article: NHL Punishing the Canucks 365 24/7 (Canucks fined $50K for post-season practice session that violates CBA)

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Maybe I’m looking at this with rose coloured glasses, but I’m sure the Canucks were aware of the rule and knowingly took the fine to give the players that extra practice time. They can’t come out and say they knowingly broke a players union back rule though.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Maybe I’m looking at this with rose coloured glasses, but I’m sure the Canucks were aware of the rule and knowingly took the fine to give the players that extra practice time. They can’t come out and say they knowingly broke a players union back rule though.
I dont think that is in the cards for Franky.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess the CBA somehow guarantees that players on lottery bound teams have basically five months off every NHL season, at least when it comes to official workouts.

Nice work if you can get it.

Reactions: mossey3535

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
LOOK OUT; 4 days since the Canucks were last fined by Gary.

1683850882505.jpeg

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I find it strange that a club can provide a player with a summer training program, check up on the player through the summer and strongly suggest a player train with X, Y or Z. But get on the ice with the player in a "practice" is a no go and fine worthy.

I understand, a rule is a rule and this is a violation. It just seems to be a somewhat arbitrary cut off. But a cut off is needed.

Rather be fined for practicing over tampering.

I get it, not wanting players to be forced to train. It wouldn't take much for voluntary training could become "voluntary".

It's a weird time frame given some teams are still allowed to practice and some are not (playoff, minor playoffs team etc).

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Just for kicks and giggles, shouldn't the league policy be that your Vancouver Canucks be allowed to continue to practice until the actual season is over for all teams?

Reactions: MarkMM

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Don't understand why some people can not understand the rule we broke.

Next time time your boss wants to hold a meeting when you are on vacation. U will understand.

NHLPA fought for this rule for a reason

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess the 'good news' is that some players were motivated enough to participate in on-ice workouts with the Sedins who are Hall-of-Famers.

The 'bad news' is that the team violated the CBA and got fined.

But that's part of the problem of being a perpetual lottery team like the Canucks. Every off-season is an interminable five months long.

Tocchet claims that he's going to travel around to meet some of the key players at their off-season homes, to see how they're doing and more importantly, how they're training.

But there's only so much a coach can do......it's up the players to prepare.

Reactions: MarkMM

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Don't understand why some people can not understand the rule we broke.

Next time time your boss wants to hold a meeting when you are on vacation. U will understand.

NHLPA fought for this rule for a reason

What if he workers held the meeting on their own and invited the bosses?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
My initial reaction was basically, "this f***ing idiot franchise just can't get out of it's own way".

Seeing what the actual violation was though...it's still idiotic, but kind of goofy to penalize. The Sedins are "part of the staff" but barely. They're like token coaches. It's tantamount to these players wanting to work with some other HoF players and garner information, tips, tricks, guidance from them leading into the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad