News Article: NHL Punishing the Canucks 365 24/7 (Canucks fined $50K for post-season practice session that violates CBA)

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
For those not wanting to click: Canucks fined $50K because they had on-ice training sessions with some players. Studnicka and Joshua were two players named working with the Sedins.

CBA says can't allowed to do that in April with no playoffs.

Quite dumb, but alright NHL.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Special OP or MOD request to edit the OP and embed the tweet.

Thanks

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't care at all that the canucks are cheating in this way but it's kind of hilarious they probably got caught because tocchet won't shut up about how the players need to train harder and if it was up to him there'd be no offseason

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
i don't care at all that the canucks are cheating in this way but it's kind of hilarious they probably got caught because tocchet won't shut up about how the players need to train harder and if it was up to him there'd be no offseason
Just guessing, but rather than the NHL looking at it as 'cheating' this is probably something the NHLPA put into the CBA to prevent teams from coercing players into semi-official training in the off season.

It's a great idea for guys like Joshua and Studnika but the vets want their vacation/golfing time.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Just guessing, but rather than the NHL looking at it as 'cheating' this is probably something the NHLPA put into the CBA to prevent teams from coercing players into semi-official training in the off season.

It's a great idea for guys like Joshua and Studnika but the vets want their vacation/golfing time.

i just used cheating as shorthand. i think it's mostly fine that the canucks want to get more time with their players and the players want to get more instruction time

the rule exists for a good reason though:

the cba guarantees players an offseason where they aren't subject to team control with regards to practices and training etc. if teams are allowed to have "voluntary" contact with players during this period they could very easily put players in a position where they don't feel like they can take advantage of this period just by showing favour to players who do take advantage. the only real way to prevent this is a blanket ban on on-ice training sessions involving both team staff and players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad