News Article: NHL Punishing the Canucks 365 24/7 (Canucks fined $50K for post-season practice session that violates CBA)

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Figures; If a team is going to make an off season mistake, it's going to be the Canucks.
This team continues to be so messed up, you could've had a billboard up saying what not to do and they would have done it anyways. All starts with Benning. It always does.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Shocked that an organization run by FAQ would violate the terms and conditions of a legally binding contract. Shocked, I tell you!

Reactions: Indiana

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Sign the Sedins as players, then they can help the other players train on ice during the off-season (if the other players want their help).

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Welcome to Vancouver Tocchet and Alvin. It doesn't matter if your leader is Jim Rutherford, you will never get a pass.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The Canucks punish themselves. They know the rules. What are they even training for. Hilarious that this happens on draft lottery day.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Kind of wondered why Tocchet kept going on about how the team was going to violate the offseason rules when it was obviously not going to happen because it's not allowed, but I guess he was somehow actually serious.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
if you add up everyone’s time it probably totals to 50k or thereabouts.

No big deal. 50k is worth paying as it demonstrates a commitment to the players.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Surprisingly, as punishment, Gary didn't just send Brad Marchant to punch each Sedin in the face while Colin Campbell turned a blind-eye, again (allegedly).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
On the list of "What else could go wrong this year?" I some how forgot we have not been fined for a good while.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I find it strange that a club can provide a player with a summer training program, check up on the player through the summer and strongly suggest a player train with X, Y or Z. But get on the ice with the player in a "practice" is a no go and fine worthy.

I understand, a rule is a rule and this is a violation. It just seems to be a somewhat arbitrary cut off. But a cut off is needed.

Rather be fined for practicing over tampering.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I find it strange that a club can provide a player with a summer training program, check up on the player through the summer and strongly suggest a player train with X, Y or Z. But get on the ice with the player in a "practice" is a no go and fine worthy.

I understand, a rule is a rule and this is a violation. It just seems to be a somewhat arbitrary cut off. But a cut off is needed.

Probably because it's up to the player whether to do the summer program. He can say sure or do something completely different. Or nothing at all. On the other hand, once he's on the ice with coaches, the drills are the drills directed by the coaches.
Still, I always found the "here's the summer program, follow it if you want to be in favour with the club at training camp" a little bit of a distinction without a difference. I guess, as you say, there has to be a cut off.

Reactions: Vector and tantalum

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I mean - if it's a rule, it's a rule. I get it.

But what a stupid rule.

"We have a half dozen guys who want to work with our development coaches in their off-season" LOLNOBITCH.
This is so bush league. Like, fine, if the rule is in place to prevent abuse, then there should naturally be a waiver that players could sign as a willfull exemption from the dastardly crime that is... working out. FFS.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
So if the Canucks station the Sedins at the player's benches with microphones, Daniel and Henrik can bark out drill changes or post them as suggestions on the big screen, and this ok in Gary's world?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is a union thing not a league thing as far as I can tell. The league has to enforce the rules of course. But this was negotiated in favour of the union. So, it's one thing to criticize the team for ignoring or being careless with the rule. But, if you don't like the rule itself, that's on the union.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Well consider this scenario. Tocchet starts up an 'optional' summer training session for the team. Boeser attends it, Beauviller passes and goes golfing. Come the start of the season, Tocchet has Boeser on the 1st line and Beauvillier on the 3rd. Next summer, Beauvillier doesn't miss the session.

Maybe not the best example, but it's not hard to see how 'nobody's forcing you to attend' can indirectly be implying 'you damn well better attend', and the NHLPA has this clause put in so players just don't have to deal with it.

It seems pretty obscure rule though that would rarely get any thought, and what happened with the Canucks is a bunch of fringe players jumping on the chance to get some early practice in with the Sedins which sounds great but... unfortunately in this case are part of Canucks management now so it triggers the rule flag.

I don't think anyone needs to make a big deal out of the whole thing, this ones just a bit of an oopsie.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Figures; If a team is going to make an off season mistake, it's going to be the Canucks.
This team continues to be so messed up, you could've had a billboard up saying what not to do and they would have done it anyways. All starts with Benning. It always does.
Benning didn't make Luongo captain in direct violation of NHL rules. Everybody here whined like children back then as well...

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Reactions: Vector

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This is so bush league. Like, fine, if the rule is in place to prevent abuse, then there should naturally be a waiver that players could sign as a willfull exemption from the dastardly crime that is... working out. FFS.
Teams could push the players to sign these waivers.

That is the whole point of the rule. I don't know if I agree with it...

It is what the NHLPA have demanded to be in the CBA.

Patrick Johnston had an interesting point on this... The NHL has defined what the season is but has not defined what the offseason is. The season is the preseason + regular season + the playoffs.

But they have not defined whether the season continues for the teams that are out of the playoffs or not. This could be a reason why the Canucks tried to sneak in more practice at this time?

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Pay the money, who cares.

Ok maybe our cheap ass owner does, but f*** it host more sessions

he's a lot of things but absolutely not this

Well consider this scenario. Tocchet starts up an 'optional' summer training session for the team. Boeser attends it, Beauviller passes and goes golfing. Come the start of the season, Tocchet has Boeser on the 1st line and Beauvillier on the 3rd. Next summer, Beauvillier doesn't miss the session.

Maybe not the best example, but it's not hard to see how 'nobody's forcing you to attend' can indirectly be implying 'you damn well better attend', and the NHLPA has this clause put in so players just don't have to deal with it.

It seems pretty obscure rule though that would rarely get any thought, and what happened with the Canucks is a bunch of fringe players jumping on the chance to get some early practice in with the Sedins which sounds great but... unfortunately in this case are part of Canucks management now so it triggers the rule flag.

I don't think anyone needs to make a big deal out of the whole thing, this ones just a bit of an oopsie.

This. players get their time off. period.

Reactions: Play

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

It is not the fine it is that this was a big issue for years. That is why Roberts has summer camps, everyone knows this, at least those in hockey.

It is embarrassing that millions are spent on management that don't even know the rules.

It begs the question what else don't they know?

It also brings up the question why didn't 4 GM's, coaches and players not communicate with each other, one of them must have known the rule, so it shows a lack of communication at the top. Or at least ask the question?

Ooopsie, we accidently signed a NMC contract too soon and now can't make any trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad