Confirmed with Link: NHL Protection Lists Released

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
this is supossed to be about the Lists not what xbox atheletes think about Martin . The biggest laugh I got from the Lists was Florida protecting Reimer and exposing Lou , How the mighty have fallen.

Not about what people think about Martin while you trash Luongo?

#classy :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What do you mean? The cost was worth it when it results in back to back championships.

When Martin starts preventing the Leafs from going deep into the playoffs a case can be made for his removal.

Right now his inclusion on the roster doesn't even rate as an issue, IMO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What do you mean? The cost was worth it when it results in back to back championships.

The Pens were ravished by injuries, because other teams abused them physically, without repercussions.

I can't imagine the Leafs management would want to emulate that beaten, bullied and bloodied approach to trying to win despite being physically manhandled.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pens proved defence doesnt win championships and also skill beats size and manhandling opponents.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The Pens were ravished by injuries, because other teams abused them physically, without repercussions.

I can't imagine the Leafs management would want to emulate that beaten, bullied and bloodied approach to trying to win despite being physically manhandled.

You talk as if all their injuries were only because of people taking liberties with them.

The biggest injuries were Letang and Murray which were more complete flukes then not having a goon to defend them.

If you think a Matthews is ever going to get through 49 playoff games in 2 years without being physically ravaged then you haven't watched much hockey since the goons have really been phased out.

These are all high performance athletes. They fight their own battles, even in the goon era if you want to go back to players like Iginla and Lecavalier settling their own disputes.

We win when a Matthews, a Marner, a Nylander are among the guys pushing the pace into late May and June. Not when they have protection. Or more protection.

The other side of the argument is Pittsburgh doesn't have near the depth with a goon and there's no guarantee any change to the roster doesn't mean a completely different fate since you're talking a radically different approach with toughness then they took and their method paid off with a championship.

The grind on their bodies, physically and mentally, is inevitable. Toughness doesn't change that. If anything it's arguable that it makes their job even tougher while they try and make up for skills their 4th line toughness lacks.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
When Martin starts preventing the Leafs from going deep into the playoffs a case can be made for his removal.

Right now his inclusion on the roster doesn't even rate as an issue, IMO.

Agreed. It's laughable that people would use Pittsburgh as the example for having toughness. They roll 4 lines and barely had 3 top 4 defencemen. No goons to speak of. Defenceman lucky to complete a breakout pass.

But they still won, people. :laugh:

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Marchenko?

If Vegas take him I'll rejoice in happiness that someone decent didn't get taken

Take a look at our defensive depth chart. Obviously things can change till the season starts but, as it stands, he's a Maple Leaf, not a Marlie. Can't really afford to lose him.

Agreed. It's laughable that people would use Pittsburgh as the example for having toughness. They roll 4 lines and barely had 3 top 4 defencemen. No goons to speak of. Defenceman lucky to complete a breakout pass.

But they still won, people. :laugh:

They did a great job playing zone and collapsing in front of the net. At least that's how I saw it.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Take a look at our defensive depth chart. Obviously things can change till the season starts but, as it stands, he's a Maple Leaf, not a Marlie. Can't really afford to lose him.

He's a plug

You can find cheap depth like him in UFA no trouble
Hell I'd take Hunwick back before I'd worry about Marchenko

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
He's a plug

You can find cheap depth like him in UFA no trouble
Hell I'd take Hunwick back before I'd worry about Marchenko

Definitely replaceable, thing is, so are all the other guys left unprotected so we're splitting hairs. Hunwick or Marchenko? Tomato, tomato. Our D still needs help and he's a righty so I'm willing to take a wait and see approach with him.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
This Expansion Draft scenario couldn't have gone any better for the Leafs. The Leafs only risk losing Rychel or Leipsic neither of whom are NHL regulars at this point. The Leafs don't have room for both of them anyway and even if they wanted to keep one of them, I'm sure the cost from Vegas to not take a B prospect won't be steep.

Overall the Leafs get access to a lot of players to trade from Vegas at a cost of virtually nothing. I can definitely see a deal happening between Vegas and the Leafs for one of their D men.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Who does y'all think the vegas mchphees is taking from us?

I'm amazed there hasn't been a poll on this already y'all heard me.

I'm thinking they gon pick Kerby Rychel from all of us. He is a talented young stud. They gon need his ass.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

I'm thinking they gon pick Kerby Rychel from all of us. He is a talented young stud. They gon need his ass.

They'll take Kerby. He's cheap and has an upside

I wouldn't call him a stud but he has the tools. He can be a decent NHLer. I think he has to pass waivers this year if he's sent back to AHL

We would have lost him regardless I think

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Unless Lou has paid for protection I think its Rychel that is Vegas bound player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unless Lou has paid for protection I think its Rychel that is Vegas bound player.

Him or Fehr.
I doubt they are really concerned very much with who they lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad