Confirmed with Link: NHL projects next season's salary cap to be $73-77M

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's still a muddy process and it seems the owners can control the money to basically have the players making up a shortfall and it seems this has been the case since the lockout.

What bothers me is Bettman keeps putting teams in places that have problems sustaining the sport and here again Las Vegas but not Quebec City and to me, this Escrow account seems to be players footing the bill along with strong franchises like Toronto and neither seems to have any input into the process, Toronto Fans and NHL Players are paying the freight for promoting hockey south of the border.

well you can blame the Canadian dollar for that.
can you honestly tell me that Quebec City can finance almost 95m dollars cdn? (which is 73m USD as of today). a year? (and if our dollar sinks more - which it is forecasted to do) pay more?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's still a muddy process and it seems the owners can control the money to basically have the players making up a shortfall and it seems this has been the case since the lockout.

What bothers me is Bettman keeps putting teams in places that have problems sustaining the sport and here again Las Vegas but not Quebec City and to me, this Escrow account seems to be players footing the bill along with strong franchises like Toronto and neither seems to have any input into the process, Toronto Fans and NHL Players are paying the freight for promoting hockey south of the border.

Escrow means that some of the players money is held in an escrow account until certain terms are met. They would get their money back though. Perhaps its held until the NHL figures out how much revenue was generated in the previous season. Was a little confused about the players footing the bill comment, hence this is why I mention this. Maybe I'm missing something .....

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
well you can blame the Canadian dollar for that.
can you honestly tell me that Quebec City can finance almost 95m dollars cdn? (which is 73m USD as of today). a year? (and if our dollar sinks more - which it is forecasted to do) pay more?
It wasn't just the Canadian Dollar why Quebec City didn't get a team last year. My personal belief is they didn't get it because it would mean putting them in the Eastern Conference and it would mean more imbalance. Let's say the Canadian Dollar was between 90-95 cents would the NHL really deny them a team because there would be to many in the Eastern Conference and not enough in the Western Conference?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It wasn't just the Canadian Dollar why Quebec City didn't get a team last year. My personal belief is they didn't get it because it would mean putting them in the Eastern Conference and it would mean more imbalance. Let's say the Canadian Dollar was between 90-95 cents would the NHL really deny them a team because there would be to many in the Eastern Conference and not enough in the Western Conference?

that too.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
All players are paid in American dollars and even though we pay in Canadian dollars at the gate and our dollar is at a low point we do have 7 Canadian teams in the league and each one is a viable franchise and we pay the highest taxes and player salaries in American dollars and yet we blame our low Canadian dollar as the reason Quebec City would not survive, to me that doesn't make sense, the best reason posted is that Quebec City would become an Eastern Team....

Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver and we could likely add Buffalo and possibly Detroit to that list because fans from Southern Ontario go there to watch NHL hockey and pay for it in American Dollars.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
All players are paid in American dollars and even though we pay in Canadian dollars at the gate and our dollar is at a low point we do have 7 Canadian teams in the league and each one is a viable franchise and we pay the highest taxes and player salaries in American dollars and yet we blame our low Canadian dollar as the reason Quebec City would not survive, to me that doesn't make sense, the best reason posted is that Quebec City would become an Eastern Team....

Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver and we could likely add Buffalo and possibly Detroit to that list because fans from Southern Ontario go there to watch NHL hockey and pay for it in American Dollars.

I watch the The Hockey Guy podcast on yt, he did a video on it. i do think our dollar is a big reason.
i honestly think if Quebec City was made a team, hey either would have relocated a team to the west (or given QC, a failing team - i keep hearing Carolina is in big trouble)

and ultimately didn't QC pull their bid? I don't remember the NHL out right rejecting them.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I watch the The Hockey Guy podcast on yt, he did a video on it. i do think our dollar is a big reason.
i honestly think if Quebec City was made a team, hey either would have relocated a team to the west (or given QC, a failing team - i keep hearing Carolina is in big trouble)

and ultimately didn't QC pull their bid? I don't remember the NHL out right rejecting them.

I seem to recall it was Kansas who pulled out but Quebec stuck it out to the end and got a "we'll look at them again in the future" response, which does imply the dollar was a factor.

While I agree they may be more likely to get a team that has to move, Quebec is an ideal expansion spot because the fans know it takes time to build a team and they would still go to games and love their team instantly. There would be none of this "educating the people on hockey" stuff or building a fan base, they at there waiting. It's a shame it is being wasted and it would mean more to Quebec to get their Nordiques than even the return of the Jets did to Winnipeggers. They also come with a free built in rival or two, it's so much easier than Vegas will be.

Not sure what Quebec's TV market size is but that may also be a factor.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I'm not saying our weak dollar is not a certain amount of the problem but to use that as a reason for not going there when hockey is a big thing and I would think they would be every bit as viable as the other Canadian teams but Vegas as a viable team is ludicrous and doesn't make a lot of sense, the only hotbed of hockey there is in the air conditioning and the novelty of having a place to go to cool off.

Problems I see are, they may draw fans away from Montreal, just as a proposed team in Markham may do the same thing with the Leafs and will Vegas draw fans away from Ariz. a team already in trouble, as far as I know, Bettman's focus is in the US and he wanted a team in Seattle instead of Las Vegas but Seattle similar to Quebec City was trying to find an owner with deep pockets to pay the 1/2 billion dollars entrance fee and with the weak Canadian dollar add another 30 % to bring it up to the 1/2 billion American dollars, Quebec City would have had to pay.

While we are about it, where is the 1/2 billion Las Vegas ponied up, is the league so weak that some of those monies left over are not able to budge the Cap at all and they need the player's escrow to increase the cap a million or two.

Bettman and the owners are playing games, trying to get the players to extend the CBA for another 3 years.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm not saying our weak dollar is not a certain amount of the problem but to use that as a reason for not going there when hockey is a big thing and I would think they would be every bit as viable as the other Canadian teams but Vegas as a viable team is ludicrous and doesn't make a lot of sense, the only hotbed of hockey there is in the air conditioning and the novelty of having a place to go to cool off.

Problems I see are, they may draw fans away from Montreal, just as a proposed team in Markham may do the same thing with the Leafs and will Vegas draw fans away from Ariz. a team already in trouble, as far as I know, Bettman's focus is in the US and he wanted a team in Seattle instead of Las Vegas but Seattle similar to Quebec City was trying to find an owner with deep pockets to pay the 1/2 billion dollars entrance fee and with the weak Canadian dollar add another 30 % to bring it up to the 1/2 billion American dollars, Quebec City would have had to pay.

While we are about it, where is the 1/2 billion Las Vegas ponied up, is the league so weak that some of those monies left over are not able to budge the Cap at all and they need the player's escrow to increase the cap a million or two.

Bettman and the owners are playing games, trying to get the players to extend the CBA for another 3 years.

Qubecor foot the bill for the expansion process and was going to buy the team.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...or-vegas-golden-knights-remparts-gary-bettman

The Nordiques did not hurt the Habs before just as the Sens do not affect the Leafs and the Islanders and Devils do not affect the Rangers.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Qubecor foot the bill for the expansion process and was going to buy the team.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...or-vegas-golden-knights-remparts-gary-bettman

The Nordiques did not hurt the Habs before just as the Sens do not affect the Leafs and the Islanders and Devils do not affect the Rangers.

Your right Quebecor was the backer but I think they bailed out because of the expansion fee and the low dollar, the problem is the prices Montreal has for ticket prices is way up there like the Leafs and could a new franchise match them and draw people for a fan base, different situation in New York, high population, and lower prices than in Quebec but in any case Bettman wants American Cities to grow the sport which isn't working but he needs Toronto and Montreal to support the losing franchises in the States but that's all academic.

The cap not going up will or should help The Leafs because teams with cap problems will have to move players to stay under the flat cap predicted

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
It does, sorry. Switch Rychel with Uncle Leo and Boyle on 4rth line C and we should be better than having an AHL player on our 2nd line. KK will either be on the team or traded, no need to worry about him.

We have a glut at RW though, I know many of you think RW's convert easily but you have to admit it is less than ideal to have people out of position.

I do agree on your point about converting wingers.

I wouldn't be so fast to label our 22YO PWF with pedigree an AHL player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad