Confirmed with Link: NHL projects next season's salary cap to be $73-77M

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Leo's offense dropped, but he was still excellent defensively on Kadris wing - not sure if Babcock will want to disrupt his shutdown line too much

Not sure. KK is very D-responsible. He also adds offensive abilities that Leo can't produce at this point in his career., something valued in the top nine in today's NHL - especially on a Babcock coached team. KK, Kadri and Brown would have skill, speed, drive and a degree of nastiness that I think would be totally effective.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The escalator will almost always be used because the players will never screw over an impending UFA class (which is what happens if they stop using it). It is killing them in escrow (which they will ***** about until the next CBA negotiation).

The question with JVR is how productive will he be in his 30's and is that a better allocation of resources over a defender. We can afford him, but it will hurt us somewhere, because top salaries will always be reflective of the state of the cap, and the cap going up makes Marner, Matthews, and Nylander more expensive (have to offset those increasing escrow payments.....).

I hope to keep Boyle if we can lock him up for 2x3. Might be willing to go to 3x2.75.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This doesn't really change anything. When the cap goes up, so does the salary expectations of the players with leverage.

Regarding the other discussion about impending free agents (Komarov, JVR and Bozak): I agree you don't trade these players before the trade deadline for draft picks unless the team is out of playoff contention. Otherwise the team needs them for a playoff run and would have to acquire other veteran depth if these players were traded. The only way these players should be traded is in a hockey move to shore up another area on the roster (defenseman) or for a similar player with team control beyond the summer of 2018.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
The escalator will almost always be used because the players will never screw over an impending UFA class (which is what happens if they stop using it). It is killing them in escrow (which they will ***** about until the next CBA negotiation).

The question with JVR is how productive will he be in his 30's and is that a better allocation of resources over a defender. We can afford him, but it will hurt us somewhere, because top salaries will always be reflective of the state of the cap, and the cap going up makes Marner, Matthews, and Nylander more expensive (have to offset those increasing escrow payments.....).

I hope to keep Boyle if we can lock him up for 2x3. Might be willing to go to 3x2.75.

Good post.

Unless the Leafs get real creative on the trade front, I see no reason why they can't or shouldn't overpay for Boyle on a short-term deal. They are unlikely to go after the big UFA fish and Boyle nicely fills one of our few glaring holes. We soon won't have the luxury of splurging on 4th liners when time comes to pay our young guys, but we have that luxury now and may as well take advantage. Boyle can play up in the lineup too, if needed.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I mean it's all relative. We have more, but so does everybody else.

This favours tight cap teams a little more though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why it would favor us if the cap stayed flat.

Because we have a lot of cap space all ready. A lot of teams don't. An increase of 4M would be a team could add a really good player, or a couple solid/depth players. If it stays flat and they are all ready close to the ceiling, they can't add very much of anything.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Does it though? It would mean having KK and Rychel in place of Komorov and Hyman in our top 9.

Edit...

I would like to see Boyle resigned.

Just for S+G

JVR Bozak Marner
Rychel Matthews Nylander
KK Kadri Brown
Hyman Komorov Martin

Not that it's the be all and end all but that would be 7/9 in the top 9 as 1st rounders. All well under 30.

It does, sorry. Switch Rychel with Uncle Leo and Boyle on 4rth line C and we should be better than having an AHL player on our 2nd line. KK will either be on the team or traded, no need to worry about him.

We have a glut at RW though, I know many of you think RW's convert easily but you have to admit it is less than ideal to have people out of position.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Because we have a lot of cap space all ready. A lot of teams don't. An increase of 4M would be a team could add a really good player, or a couple solid/depth players. If it stays flat and they are all ready close to the ceiling, they can't add very much of anything.

That is a fairly good point, it would save some of the teams we want to exploit. Maybe it would be better for us to have the Cap rise later but it is what it is. We get some advantages either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad