Confirmed with Link: NHL projects next season's salary cap to be $73-77M

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

NHL projects next season's salary cap to be $73-77M
by Sean O'Leary 36m ago

https://www.thescore.com/news/1310013

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly announced Monday that next season's salary cap is expected to remain flat, depending on whether the NHLPA exercises its five percent growth escalator.

The salary cap for the 2016-17 season was set at $73 million, and Daly said it would grow to "$77 million and change" if the inflator is used by players.

Growing the cap also grows players' escrow, which has been an ongoing problem when it comes to collective bargaining between the NHL and NHLPA.

Daly said the NHL and its players will meet next week to discuss whether the escalator will be used.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Do we really have any gaping holes in our line up besides a 4C, a backup goaltender and possibly a vet dman?

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-xxx-Kapanen/Sosh/Leivo/Rychel/Leipsic

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Carrick
Dermott/Borgman/Rosen-xxx

Andersen
xxx

---

I do think we'll make a trade or 2 due to our defense and plethora of NHL wingers but I'm thinking we'll be very quiet on the FA market

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Do we really have any gaping holes in our line up besides a 4C, a backup goaltender and possibly a vet dman?

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-xxx-Kapanen/Sosh/Leivo

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Carrick

Andersen
xxx

We don't have a problem but if teams on the edge of cap could hold a player or two by the 5 mill increase, could make it harder to make a trade interesting to see how they do it?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That's a big gap between 3 and 7.
honestly. players don't increase it.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If it is 77 that will put an end to all this "we can't afford JVR" crap. Also means we could afford one 7 mil-ish D. Higher Cap is always in our favor.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
That's a big gap between 3 and 7.
honestly. players don't increase it.

I think it's just Bettman trying to force the NHLPA into keeping the current players and owners deal in place, same as not allowing players to play for their countries during the season.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If it is 77 that will put an end to all this "we can't afford JVR" crap. Also means we could afford one 7 mil-ish D. Higher Cap is always in our favor.

or we can retain on JVR and get a better piece, and go shopping the next year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
According to Cap Friendly the Leafs are only retaining on Phil Kessel's contract. So assuming the limit of players they can retain is still no more than three, it could be done if they traded JVR. Plus with JVR set to become a UFA next summer it's only 1 season where they would have to retain on his contract.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
That's a good news for bigger markets, we can retain our own and go after free agents or even trade for higher salaries in order to fetch a big fish

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
According to Cap Friendly the Leafs are only retaining on Phil Kessel's contract. So assuming the limit of players they can retain is still no more than three, it could be done if they traded JVR. Plus with JVR set to become a UFA next summer it's only 1 season where they would have to retain on his contract.

Not sure why we have to retain any salary for JVR, as is his contract is pretty cap friendly

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

It is a pretty small list of LW in the NHL that outproduce JVR. Look at our LW. It's JVR and a bunch of 3rd/4rth liners.

Let's not turn this into a JVR debate though, was not my intention. It's been done to death and none of us are going to change our positions at this point.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It is a pretty small list of LW in the NHL that outproduce JVR. Look at our LW. It's JVR and a bunch of 3rd/4rth liners.

Let's not turn this into a JVR debate though, was not my intention. It's been done to death and none of us are going to change our positions at this point.

I don't really care either way, for the record.
i'm just saying the Leafs aren't going to be in that much cap trouble so if they want to make a sizeable play - they can retain on JVR and then really get spendy on some pieces this + next year and still pay for the MNMs.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
JVR and UFAs

Aren't Leaf fans ridiculously silly in needing to trade upcoming UFAs. JVR and Bozak are likely needed all next year to help the Leafs for the a playoff run.
Leafs traded a second rounder for upcoming UFA Boyle, so it's not part of the "Shanaplan" to trade all upcoming UFAs for picks.
That being said summer of 2018, I don't think the Leafs sign JVR. Other teams will overpay.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Aren't Leaf fans ridiculously silly in needing to trade upcoming UFAs. JVR and Bozak are likely needed all next year to help the Leafs for the a playoff run.
Leafs traded a second rounder for upcoming UFA Boyle, so it's not part of the "Shanaplan" to trade all upcoming UFAs for picks.
That being said summer of 2018, I don't think the Leafs sign JVR. Other teams will overpay.

I think we'll know about JVR this summer one way or the other, July 1rst they can talk extension.

Bozak is trickier, with Babs saying Nylander is at RW all year this season we could let him walk or just trade his rights next year? Don't see us extending him under any circumstances.

Gauthier's injury suggests a good chance of trying to keep Boyle.

Hunwick/Polak? Who knows?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

where did people say they would trade JVR for picks?
people want to trade him to get a player who fits in the long term plan

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-xxx-Kapanen/Sosh/Leivo/Rychel/Leipsic

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Carrick

Andersen
xxx

---

I do think we'll make a trade or 2 due to our defense and plethora of NHL wingers but I'm thinking we'll be very quiet on the FA market
If thats going to be our D corpse going into next year, its gonna be tough to watch.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I doubt this would happen... but I wonder if Komorov could play 4th line center? He played center in the KHL IIRC. And it's on the 4th line... so he doesn't need to be amazing.

Komorov wasn't great on the Kadri line IMO. He wasn't bad... but he didn't perform like he did the year before. Kadri and Brown generated most of the offence on that line.

Martin - Komorov - Hyman would be a good 4th line I think. They would do a lot of hitting and board work. Komorov and Hyman could be the first penalty killing unit too. Moving Komorov to 4C opens up a top 9 winger spot for guys like Leivo, Kapanen, Sosh, Rychel, Leipsic, etc. So it kind of solves two problems at once. We fill our hole in the 4C spot for now without having to give up 2nd round picks or whatever... and it opens up a top 9 winger spot for our throng of wingers who need real NHL experience with skilled line mates.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I doubt this would happen... but I wonder if Komorov could play 4th line center? He played center in the KHL IIRC. And it's on the 4th line... so he doesn't need to be amazing.

Komorov wasn't great on the Kadri line IMO. He wasn't bad... but he didn't perform like he did the year before. Kadri and Brown generated most of the offence on that line.

Martin - Komorov - Hyman would be a good 4th line I think. They would do a lot of hitting and board work. Komorov and Hyman could be the first penalty killing unit too. Moving Komorov to 4C opens up a top 9 winger spot for guys like Leivo, Kapanen, Sosh, Rychel, Leipsic, etc. So it kind of solves two problems at once. We fill our hole in the 4C spot for now without having to give up 2nd round picks or whatever... and it opens up a top 9 winger spot for our throng of wingers who need real NHL experience with skilled line mates.

I've always enjoyed watching him play C in the limited amount that he's played. What is his F/O%?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

It also makes us worse. Keeping Boyle makes more sense.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
It also makes us worse. Keeping Boyle makes more sense.

Does it though? It would mean having KK and Rychel in place of Komorov and Hyman in our top 9.

Edit...

I would like to see Boyle resigned.

Just for S+G

JVR Bozak Marner
Rychel Matthews Nylander
KK Kadri Brown
Hyman Komorov Martin

Not that it's the be all and end all but that would be 7/9 in the top 9 as 1st rounders. All well under 30.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leo's offense dropped, but he was still excellent defensively on Kadris wing - not sure if Babcock will want to disrupt his shutdown line too much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad