NHL PLAYOFFS 2019 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Matt Duchene seems to be hitting his stride. A true No. 1 center. Turris is a healthy scratch at 6M this season. The 4th OA, hurts, but Duchene signing long term here, at this stage, would look like a home run to me. At the time of the trade, Duchene was always the better player, and the 1st Rd pick was not supposed to be a lottery pick. I mean, many overestimated Turris, while other underestimated Duchene, and that is ok.

At the time, I didn't think it was a gross overpayment. We were supposed to be a playoff team. Bowers was ranked low in the Sens depth chart.

It'll be interesting to see what Duchene is moving forward. He's never paced at the numbers he put up for (most) of his time in Ottawa. If he can continue to be a (roughly) PPG player who can provide speed to a teams lineup it'll be obvious the trade could have been worth it (it's not if he doesn't re-sign with Ottawa, but that's not really the point here). If he reverts back to being a 45-55 point player he'll likely be just as overpaid as Turris currently is.

If you think the Duchene and Turris we've seen this season are the "real" versions of themselves, it's pretty obvious who is more valuable (even given the large extension Duchene is due this summer). I'm not convinced, personally, that that is the case. Next season should determine a lot about both guys.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Matt Duchene seems to be hitting his stride. A true No. 1 center. Turris is a healthy scratch at 6M this season. The 4th OA, hurts, but Duchene signing long term here, at this stage, would look like a home run to me. At the time of the trade, Duchene was always the better player, and the 1st Rd pick was not supposed to be a lottery pick. I mean, many overestimated Turris, while other underestimated Duchene, and that is ok.

At the time, I didn't think it was a gross overpayment. We were supposed to be a playoff team. Bowers was ranked low in the Sens depth chart.

You're talking hindsight in your first paragraph. I don't care what is happening now. We didn't have to pay that ridiculous price for Duchene at that moment. We were doing fine. EK had returned and the team was playing serviceably. PD could have not given into Sakic's demands, been patient to see how the season unfolded, and parted ways with Turris closer to the TDL. How would flipping Turris for Girard+ look right about now? Imagine if multiple teams were interested? Could he have fetched more?

You're supposed to acquire these guys at the TDL to put you over the top, not replace your 1C in early November and expect the team to a cup contender that year.

It was absolutely an overpayment at the time of the trade. I don't feel like digging up the trade thread, but I would venture a guess many would agree.

It was irrelevant what was "supposed" to happen. Our GM and hockey ops team (or lack thereof) is responsible for evaluating the team for what it is, not what it's supposed to be. That evaluation has set us back a top 5 pick, and maybe more.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

I agree with some of this thinking. Who cares about value at the time of trade. Brassard and Zibanejad weren't too far off at the time of the trade, yet that trade is a landslide win for New York now. Credit where credit is due, Dorion sold Turris at the exact right time and brought in a much better player. I don't think even the biggest Dorion haters can say he didn't get that one right. If Melnyk and everything didn't go completely off the rails and decided to sell off all our star players and rebuild, we probably give Colorado at worst a mid-1st this year and everyone is happy or at least accepting of the deal.

Reactions: pzeeman and coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It'll be interesting to see what Duchene is moving forward. He's never paced at the numbers he put up for (most) of his time in Ottawa. If he can continue to be a (roughly) PPG player who can provide speed to a teams lineup it'll be obvious the trade could have been worth it (it's not if he doesn't re-sign with Ottawa, but that's not really the point here). If he reverts back to being a 45-55 point player he'll likely be just as overpaid as Turris currently is.

If you think the Duchene and Turris we've seen this season are the "real" versions of themselves, it's pretty obvious who is more valuable (even given the large extension Duchene is due this summer). I'm not convinced, personally, that that is the case. Next season should determine a lot about both guys.
Well no, I don't think this is the real version of Turris. It is just the way he has played for the last 100 games which looks like he or the coach needs a change of scenery. I do think that Duchene has figured out how to produce more, though

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
100% accurate game 7 predictions:

Toronto beats Boston.
Vegas beats San Jose.
Carolina beats Washington.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
100% accurate game 7 predictions:

Toronto beats Boston.
Vegas beats San Jose.
Carolina beats Washington.

I have pretty much the same but I'm torn on the Carolina series.

Almost convinced Toronto wins against Boston.
Vegas takes it from SJ.
I'll go with Washington on the last one.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Come on, we all know how the Bos-Tor game will go.

Leafs will get the significant lead, only for Boston to tie it late in the 3rd, and win it in OT.

There is no other possible scenario.

Edit: I'll take Vegas in the other series tonight. They've just looked better overall and I doubt Jones can steal another game like he did on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: foggyvisor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad