Rumor: NHL Players in Arizona Possibly Testing Positive for Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think it was we were afraid of overrunning da health care system. But you are right we have grossly underfunded our health care system for many many years. So we paid a huge price in 2020. We must correct it now. Face facts we need to fund stuff this is most critical to all of us and health care tops da list in my books. We may have to cut back in non essential stuff.

80% of cases were considered mild or asymptomatic, meaning they would not take up hospital resources and were simply told to go home and self-isolate for 14 days. That's literally all they did with those people.

15% of cases required oxygen, but not ventilators. Only 5% required ventilators.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_4

It would have been wise to invest in ventilators assuming you did not shut down, because Ontario only had something like 3250 ventilators and you would not have known how many you would have needed (turns out less than half of the original, on-hand amount they had were used).

However as soon as they knew that the majority of cases were asymptomatic and mild, which seemed to be like right away, they should have shifted their focus to those who would be more severely impacted... Which apparently they felt was by shutting everything down? Really questionable decision-making on their parts, and I do see why some people are disappointed with the WHO and other health organizations/directors, including in Canada.

Reactions: mmalady

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
80% of cases were considered mild or asymptomatic, meaning they would not take up hospital resources and were simply told to go home and self-isolate for 14 days. That's literally all they did with those people.

15% of cases required oxygen, but not ventilators. Only 5% required ventilators.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...0306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_4

It would have been wise to invest in ventilators assuming you did not shut down, because Ontario only had something like 3250 ventilators and you would not have known how many you would have needed (turns out less than half of the original, on-hand amount they had were used).

However as soon as they knew that the majority of cases were asymptomatic and mild, which seemed to be like right away, they should have shifted their focus to those who would be more severely impacted... Which apparently they felt was by shutting everything down? Really questionable decision-making on their parts, and I do see why some people are disappointed with the WHO and other health organizations/directors, including in Canada.
I agree with everything you say except your summation regarding shutting things down . I now live in the Pontiac region of Quebec right on the Ottawa river across from Renfrew , the Quebec government shut the regions down not just the province , I am 100 yards from the highway across the Dam into Ontario and the police set up there as well as the bridge north of me into Pembroke and the highway south of me into the region between us and Gatineau . As a result we had zero cases in our region in spite of some Ahat cottagers who jumped the border when the cops were away , in comparison Bancroft Ontario had a bunch of cottagers run up there ignoring the provincial directives , at one point they had 26 cases , 23 were cottagers and the local hospital only had 3 ventilators so if those cases had gone acute then who gets the ventilators ? hunkering down in place really did work , the vast majority of cases and deaths in Quebec were in 2 areas and confined mostly to seniors nursing homes .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I didn't see a post here confirming this story came from Biz or Whit but anybody who thinks they aren't connected and respected doesn't know jack , they get every top player in the league past and present they ask to come on their show , Crosby , MacKinnon , McJesus , Burke , Gomez the list goes on and on even the tv guys are going on to ride their wave .

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I agree with everything you say except your summation regarding shutting things down . I now live in the Pontiac region of Quebec right on the Ottawa river across from Renfrew , the Quebec government shut the regions down not just the province , I am 100 yards from the highway across the Dam into Ontario and the police set up there as well as the bridge north of me into Pembroke and the highway south of me into the region between us and Gatineau . As a result we had zero cases in our region in spite of some Ahat cottagers who jumped the border when the cops were away , in comparison Bancroft Ontario had a bunch of cottagers run up there ignoring the provincial directives , at one point they had 26 cases , 23 were cottagers and the local hospital only had 3 ventilators so if those cases had gone acute then who gets the ventilators ? hunkering down in place really did work , the vast majority of cases and deaths in Quebec were in 2 areas and confined mostly to seniors nursing homes .
Huh. My trailer is near Cobden. I run over to Portage Du Fort for my beer. lol

Reactions: Saint Blue

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Well there is a big gap between the shut down they had and telling cottagers to hold off from going to regions with limited resources. Even then, if there were 26 cases and only 5% of people require ventilators, that means only 1 person would have required a ventilator statistically. Now obviously we need to prevent thousands of people from flocking to areas where there are limited resources, or at least have a great deal of care involved. I think it is a lot more reasonable to tell people at their cottages to hunker down and social distance than in a big city like Toronto, or to make sure that they are not sick before they go up to their cottages, than to shut everything down completely. At the very least things should be a lot more manageable, even in those more isolated areas.

They were also saying that people were trying to go up so they would stay away from people, but since they would be up there longer than usual, things like grocery stores were having trouble staying stocked as well. So there needs to be some common sense involved too.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Oh what did it say

Maple Leafs trying to gain edge with approach to Phase 2 of return - Sportsnet.ca

Snippit from the article...

"In many cases, those players don’t feel the need to participate in Phase 2 because they’re already in locations where they’re able to skate and train — just like Leafs star Auston Matthews and No. 1 goaltender Frederik Andersen, who continue to wait out the pause together in Scottsdale, Ariz.
(The main reason Matthews and Andersen haven’t travelled back yet is because of the mandatory 14-day quarantine for those entering Canada, which could soon be eased pending the outcome of ongoing conversations between the federal government and NHL)."

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Well there is a big gap between the shut down they had and telling cottagers to hold off from going to regions with limited resources. Even then, if there were 26 cases and only 5% of people require ventilators, that means only 1 person would have required a ventilator statistically. Now obviously we need to prevent thousands of people from flocking to areas where there are limited resources, or at least have a great deal of care involved. I think it is a lot more reasonable to tell people at their cottages to hunker down and social distance than in a big city like Toronto, or to make sure that they are not sick before they go up to their cottages, than to shut everything down completely. At the very least things should be a lot more manageable, even in those more isolated areas.

They were also saying that people were trying to go up so they would stay away from people, but since they would be up there longer than usual, things like grocery stores were having trouble staying stocked as well. So there needs to be some common sense involved too.

The numbers I quoted were from back in April and all I can speak to directly is it worked for my region , things are slowly opening up and people here are still using common sense , my local breakfast joint is opening to table service tommorrow , tables will be spread out and capacoity limited somewhat but they seldon see 30% weekday mornings so not a big deal for us customers .odds are the Bancroft situation was caused by a city person or family running to hide at the cottage and spreading it to the few locals who got it , which is what we were preventing here in Quebec by shutting the regions down even to each other .
Back on the thread topic I just did a search and all I can find is stories about players probably being exposed to a team worker that tested positive but nothing about players testing positive so sounds like clickbait to me .

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The border is closed to tourism and non essential travel. It’s still open for temporary foreign workers, limited family visits, trade, medical workers etc.

We don’t want tourists, but people can definitely still travel for valid reasons. The hockey players have permission to travel.

Out of country family still need to quarantine as do players from out of country coming in to Canada, as do out of province.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Huh. My trailer is near Cobden. I run over to Portage Du Fort for my beer. lol
Doesn't everybody ? lol , moved here from Victoria a year and a half ago , gotta love being back in Canada , They were selling Whits Pink Whitney drink there at the store too but all you Onterrible guys cleaned em out , sold 10 cases in like 3 days the first week and the government wholesaler can't get them back in fast enough to meet the demand . Good thing you can still get 60 beer for 65 bucks plus a little deposit eh !

Reactions: kb

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Doesn't everybody ? lol , moved here from Victoria a year and a half ago , gotta love being back in Canada , They were selling Whits Pink Whitney drink there at the store too but all you Onterrible guys cleaned em out , sold 10 cases in like 3 days the first week and the government wholesaler can't get them back in fast enough to meet the demand . Good thing you can still get 60 beer for 65 bucks plus a little deposit eh !
Big white house with Maple Leafs blue window trim built in 1870 , the never ending fixer upper lol

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Rather Matt’s get covid now and get rid of it. He’s a 20 year old athlete whos prolly gotten sun burns that will affect him more.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah I used to live in Gatineau about 30 years ago. I lived beside a Depanneur that was attached to the best pizza/Chinese place I have had to this day.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Rather Matt’s get covid now and get rid of it. He’s a 20 year old athlete whos prolly gotten sun burns that will affect him more.

It's a strange virus. It has no effect on some people, but can be debilitating to others.

There are a lot of people who had "mild" cases where they never had to go to a hospital, but they're not back to 100% months later. Lots of people still have shortness of breath and can't exert themselves months later.

If you read some of the stories here, you'll see how it's affecting a lot of people (even young and healthy people):

/r/COVID-19Positive • r/COVID19positive

A lot of people just focus on the deaths or the hospitalizations, and they ignore some of the more mild cases that could have long term health implications.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's a strange virus. It has no effect on some people, but can be debilitating to others.

There are a lot of people who had "mild" cases where they never had to go to a hospital, but they're not back to 100% months later. Lots of people still have shortness of breath and can't exert themselves months later.

If you read some of the stories here, you'll see how it's affecting a lot of people (even young and healthy people):

A lot of people just focus on the deaths or the hospitalizations, and they ignore some of the more mild cases that could have long term health implications.
The bolded is exactly why I mentioned in my OP about this possibly being huge. Lingering effects can impact players to the point where they lose a step or 2.

Reactions: Slot

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
Now I am no dr but YES. If all Leafs contacted and safely recovered that would almost guarantee no players would have to miss games in the playoffs. (I think)
Kind of like old school where if a kid contacted Chicken Pox all the moms in the neighbourhood would bring their kids that hadn't yet contacted the disease so that they could get it and be done with it as a child.

YA, this really used to happen...

Is there any proof anywhere that states that you can only get covid once? Not being a jerk, but just honestly asking. It's not uncommon for people to get the flu more than once in season, so who's to say they would be safe, having already had covid once?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

I wonder if it was here in January. I had a bad flu/cold for a few days and then a cough which lasted forever like 2 months. I never had a cough last so long ever before. But never had trouble breathing or completing day to day tasks. I wish we had common symptoms so people had an understanding of what we are dealing with here. Is this thing mostly a respiratory virus? or is it mostly like a flu/cold? i would think flu/cold season is over completely now so cases are truly COVID now ie if you are sick with fever you probably got COVID.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Mmmmm, 1 dollar beers, yummy. :sarcasm:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Is there any proof anywhere that states that you can only get covid once? Not being a jerk, but just honestly asking. It's not uncommon for people to get the flu more than once in season, so who's to say they would be safe, having already had covid once?

Exactly, no conclusive studies yet as far as I can tell. All virus are unique and often mutate so I would for now go with the assumption you may be able to contract it more than once. And of course every patient is affected differently so who knows?

Reactions: OddyOh and Slot

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Mmmmm, 1 dollar beers, yummy. :sarcasm:
Coors Light or Bud Light before you get too excited.

$27 cases of Stella, Heineken or Corona is a great steal.
48 cans of Heineken for 59 is summer favourite, no glass by the pool.

Usually stock up at Easter for the beginning of summer and then we go back August long weekend for my Father In Laws birthday and top up for the rest of summer.
No trips this year, which is a shame. He turns 90 and they'll be no party.

Last edited:

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Coors Light or Bud Light before you get too excited.

$27 cases of Steel, Heineken or Corona is a great steal.
48 cans of Heineken for 59 is summer favourite, no glass by the pool.

Usually stock up at Easter for the beginning of summer and then we go back August long weekend for my Father In Laws birthday and top up for the rest of summer.
No trips this year, which is a shame. He turns 90 and they'll be no party.

LOL, thought it might be some no name brand of questionable product from Presidents Choice.
Wow, those are great prices. We don't see them that cheap out east.
In N.S. Alexanders Keiths 18 pack/cans $35.00, 24 bottles $48.00 I'm jealous!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
LOL, thought it might be some no name brand of questionable product from Presidents Choice.
Wow, those are great prices. We don't see them that cheap out east.
In N.S. Alexanders Keiths 18 pack/cans $35.00, 24 bottles $48.00 I'm jealous!
Sounds like the same prices we have here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad