Rumor: NHL Players in Arizona Possibly Testing Positive for Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There has already been articles as to why Matthews/Freddy haven't returned yet since they were already skating/training in Arizona and no need to leave to sit 14 days in Quarantine in Toronto when restrictions are presumed to be easing soon (when it comes to Quarantine time).

Trudeau gave the okay for hub cities if local health officials agree, if he was easing quarantine rules for athletes, I feel like he would of done it then.
Bettman is urging players to return, to get work visas in place that expire June 30.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Seeing how they are using this to shill for their podcast I'd wait for someone more reputable before we all make a bunch of assumptions.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Might not be that bad if it means they have next to no risk of becoming infected during the playoffs.

Now I am no dr but YES. If all Leafs contacted and safely recovered that would almost guarantee no players would have to miss games in the playoffs. (I think)
Kind of like old school where if a kid contacted Chicken Pox all the moms in the neighbourhood would bring their kids that hadn't yet contacted the disease so that they could get it and be done with it as a child.

YA, this really used to happen...

Reactions: ACC1224

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
They aren't there because they are not allowed to cross the border due to travel bans.

They are. Nick Robertson already came back from California.

Non-essential travel from U.S. to Canada is allowed. But, there is a mandatory 14-day quarantine period. And, its a bonafide quarantine. You can't pretend and the penalties are severe if you get caught.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Non-essential travel from U.S. to Canada is allowed. But, there is a mandatory 14-day quarantine period. And, its a bonafide quarantine. You can't pretend and the penalties are severe if you get caught.
Robertson did quarantine for 14 days. So did Justin Holl.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Now I am no dr but YES. If all Leafs contacted and safely recovered that would almost guarantee no players would have to miss games in the playoffs. (I think)
Kind of like old school where if a kid contacted Chicken Pox all the moms in the neighbourhood would bring their kids that hadn't yet contacted the disease so that they could get it and be done with it as a child.

Well, Covid is a little different because it’s a new disease with a lot of variability in terms of how it affects in individual, and there are no reliable treatments and obviously no vaccine. So you wouldn’t want to herd your team only to have 3 of your players die or something like that.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Robertson did quarantine for 14 days. So did Justin Holl.
OK. I wasn't disagreeing with your post. Glad they did.

Different issue/aside - I don't think messing with the quarantine rules would be wise, but that's imho. Fines (and/or imprisonment) could be pretty steep. Maybe all the checks the government does are by phone, but still.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Says who? The border is closed till July 21. Trudope just announced this.

People read a blurb somewhere and think it is true.

Yup.

Why Maple Leafs' Nick Robertson thinks he's ready for his NHL shot - Sportsnet.ca

"
TORONTO — It’s one thing to get your ‘welcome to the NHL’ moment in the middle of a global pandemic.

For Nick Robertson, the call-up from the Toronto Maple Leafs
also comes at a time when he’s gone more than two months without putting on skates. That unthinkably long stretch should end at some point next week once he finishes serving a 14-day quarantine and the Leafs officially reopen their training facility for small-group workouts, but on the surface these don’t seem like ideal circumstances to put your best foot forward.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

The border is closed to tourism and non essential travel. It’s still open for temporary foreign workers, limited family visits, trade, medical workers etc.

We don’t want tourists, but people can definitely still travel for valid reasons. The hockey players have permission to travel.

Reactions: Slot and kb

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel restrictions, exemptions and advice - Canada.ca

People who cross the boarder regularly to work. That would include the hockey players. Other hockey players have made their way back. You are subject to the 14 day restriction if you do. Also MLSE probably has a lot of weight, you don't think they could get the players back into Toronto if they wanted to be back. Private bird, then they quarantine.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Trudeau gave the okay for hub cities if local health officials agree, if he was easing quarantine rules for athletes, I feel like he would of done it then.
Bettman is urging players to return, to get work visas in place that expire June 30.

I'm just going off of what the Sportsnet article stated.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

With the documented potential long term complications among many COVID-19 survivors, the Chicken Pox might not be the best analogy.

Let's just hope that none of our players are among those rumored to have tested positive.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Some of them will test positive, but they'll be fine.

A small number have tested positive in the Uk for the football season starting up again, and they're isolating and then coming back in when completed. None of them have any issues, they're all fit and healthy people anyway.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

A small number have tested positive in the Uk for the football season starting up again, and they're isolating and then coming back in when completed. None of them have any issues, they're all fit and healthy people anyway.
Do they have to wear helmet-masks like someone proposed to the NFL?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Let's not conflate asymptomatic infections with serious infections of older health compromised individuals.

Which also accounts for the vast majority of deaths due to Covid-19 as well.

If you look at New York, which was one of the worst hit places on the planet with like 15,000+ deaths by the end of May. Less than 100 of those deaths came from people without underlying health conditions. Over 2/3's were people with underlying health problems, and of those deaths, half were over 75 as well. Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

If you look at Sweden, they did not shut down at all and had one of the worst death/100,000 people ratings in the world with over 5000 deaths for a population of about 10 mill. However, over 60% of those deaths were people who were 80 years of age or older (in fact over 1000 deaths were 90+) and an additional 20% were 70-79. That means only 600 or so people who died in Sweden were under the age of 70, and they did not say whether those people had underlying health conditions (based on the numbers of other countries, probably 450-500 of them did). Sweden: coronavirus deaths by age | Statista

One thing people need to think about is that once you hit a certain age, or if you have other complications, even the simplest things can kill you. We have a flu vaccine and yet between 6500-8500 people died from the flu and pneumonia each year between 2014-2018. That's just in Canada. We are not shutting down everything when flu season hits. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1310039401

People also do not consider the other effects that shutting down have on people. Nevermind the economic cost, but people stopped received health treatments/surgeries and could not get checked up by the doctor. I knew someone who had a heart condition and later died. The person was unable to see a doctor for over 2 months because of Covid-19, and remote visits were not exactly helpful when you need to physically check someone's heartbeat, etc. Now they may have died anyways, but shutting down hospitals and doctors gave them no chance. How many people are going to die from cancer or some other condition unrelated to Covid-19 because they did not receive treatments on time/at all? They won't have numbers on that, because how can you track it? They may not die right away (maybe in a few years), or may have died even if they had received those treatments, but I would bet it far exceeds the number of perfectly healthy, non-elderly people who are dying from Covid-19. Not to mention the copious amount of anxiety it has caused a ton of people...

They butchered the entire process. There has been inconsistent or contradictory information at every step, poor enforcement, and a plan which was hardly even a plan. Rather than running a multi-billion dollar deficit trying to bail out an economy that you shut down, maybe try to fix an old-age care system that has been flawed, corrupt and underfunded for like 4 decades under three different political parties and has resulted in the mistreatment and death of hundreds of thousands of elderly people long before Covid-19 was even a thing and will continue to happen after Covid-19 is no longer a threat...

And as I said at the very top, has resulted in the vast majority of Covid-19 deaths.

/rant

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

My son knows a couple guys who have had it from playing in SJ. Both said they could have played the night they had fever in an NHL game. It was very very mild. They only went in for test because most of team decided to. The real issue is passing it along to other guys. Matty could have had it because he played in SJ when virus was in those dressing rooms so it is feasible. But if he had it then it is very likely he is through it already.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Which also accounts for the vast majority of deaths due to Covid-19 as well.

If you look at New York, which was one of the worst hit places on the planet with like 15,000+ deaths by the end of May. Less than 100 of those deaths came from people without underlying health conditions. Over 2/3's were people with underlying health problems, and of those deaths, half were over 75 as well. Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

If you look at Sweden, they did not shut down at all and had one of the worst death/100,000 people ratings in the world with over 5000 deaths for a population of about 10 mill. However, over 60% of those deaths were people who were 80 years of age or older (in fact over 1000 deaths were 90+) and an additional 20% were 70-79. That means only 600 or so people who died in Sweden were under the age of 70, and they did not say whether those people had underlying health conditions (based on the numbers of other countries, probably 450-500 of them did). Sweden: coronavirus deaths by age | Statista

One thing people need to think about is that once you hit a certain age, or if you have other complications, even the simplest things can kill you. We have a flu vaccine and yet between 6500-8500 people died from the flu and pneumonia each year between 2014-2018. That's just in Canada. We are not shutting down everything when flu season hits. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1310039401

People also do not consider the other effects that shutting down have on people. Nevermind the economic cost, but people stopped received health treatments/surgeries and could not get checked up by the doctor. I knew someone who had a heart condition and later died. The person was unable to see a doctor for over 2 months because of Covid-19, and remote visits were not exactly helpful when you need to physically check someone's heartbeat, etc. Now they may have died anyways, but shutting down hospitals and doctors gave them no chance. How many people are going to die from cancer or some other condition unrelated to Covid-19 because they did not receive treatments on time/at all? They won't have numbers on that, because how can you track it? They may not die right away (maybe in a few years), or may have died even if they had received those treatments, but I would bet it far exceeds the number of perfectly healthy, non-elderly people who are dying from Covid-19. Not to mention the copious amount of anxiety it has caused a ton of people...

They butchered the entire process. There has been inconsistent or contradictory information at every step, poor enforcement, and a plan which was hardly even a plan. Rather than running a multi-billion dollar deficit trying to bail out an economy that you shut down, maybe try to fix an old-age care system that has been flawed, corrupt and underfunded for like 4 decades under three different political parties and has resulted in the mistreatment and death of hundreds of thousands of elderly people long before Covid-19 was even a thing and will continue to happen after Covid-19 is no longer a threat...

And as I said at the very top, has resulted in the vast majority of Covid-19 deaths.

/rant
I think it was we were afraid of overrunning da health care system. But you are right we have grossly underfunded our health care system for many many years. So we paid a huge price in 2020. We must correct it now. Face facts we need to fund stuff this is most critical to all of us and health care tops da list in my books. We may have to cut back in non essential stuff.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
My son knows a couple guys who have had it from playing in SJ. Both said they could have played the night they had fever in an NHL game. It was very very mild. They only went in for test because most of team decided to. The real issue is passing it along to other guys. Matty could have had it because he played in SJ when virus was in those dressing rooms so it is feasible. But if he had it then it is very likely he is through it already.
Sounds like that’s how the senators players tested positive after returning from west coast trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad