NHL Player - Kasperi Kapanen

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Kappy should have been on Matthews line from the start of the preseason instead of a player whos destined to play on the marlies.

Neither Johnsson or Lindholm are going to play on the Marlies. And Kapanen can't yet do what Ennis is capable of doing, IE, make proper use of being Matthews line's third wheel. He simply doesn't have the NHL experience.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kapanen and Johnsson are also entering contract years, will be interesting to see if the Leafs let them loose or if they reign them in a bit.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I don't think it is out of the realm for Kapanen to have a career like one of Todd Marchant or Ethan Moreau (I get the two confused, but the one with the wheels). They weren't top 6 players, but used their assets to become very useful NHLers. Just because he was a 1st rounder, doesn't mean he will be a top 6 guy. If he has a long, useful career, he will be worth it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So GM's instruct their coaches to "reign in" certain players? So pass up great play and winning to balance the cap?

whut?

:monkey:

Yeah, like they deflate their PP time and up their PK time, utilize them in a way that suppresses their RFA ask. Happened to Rielly and Kadri.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't think it is out of the realm for Kapanen to have a career like one of Todd Marchant or Ethan Moreau (I get the two confused, but the one with the wheels). They weren't top 6 players, but used their assets to become very useful NHLers. Just because he was a 1st rounder, doesn't mean he will be a top 6 guy. If he has a long, useful career, he will be worth it.
I think Marchant had the wheels.

Reactions: Judas Tavares

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He's 22 and is already one of the best skaters in the NHL.

As far as grit goes, I've seen Hyman attempt to lay hits and mostly get flattened, meanwhile I've actually seen Kap dish out a few solid hits.

He should absolutely have an opportunity to showcase himself with good players like JT, Mitch or Auston, we've given such opportunities to trash like Brown, Hyman and even Komarov, but we can't afford it to a 22 year old speed demon?

Give him a good opportunity and then if he fails hit me up with that theory.

and I've seen Buster flatten Dmen that were bigger then him, and Kapanen get easily pushed off the puck!

see how that works?

both of them can dish it out and take it, it's the puck battles after the shoot in, and Zach has a knack of getting possession or at least keep the puck in the corner until the rest of the boys arrive, not saying Kapanen doesn't ever win battles but there's a reason Babcock liked him there

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What's the old adage, judging a fish on it's ability to climb trees?

A line of Johnsson/Lindholm/ Kap has no real driver. Kap isn't ready to be a primary or secondary creator at the NHL level, and may never be so why judge him on his ability to drive a line? With his speed, shot, defensive acumen, and willingness to engage physically he projects nicely as the complementary guy on a top 9 line.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, like they deflate their PP time and up their PK time, utilize them in a way that suppresses their RFA ask. Happened to Rielly and Kadri.

Obviously not going to happen to Marner or Matthews though. Also did not really happen to Nylander either.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

That might be part of it, but I also look at it as enhancing the skill set/responsibility of the players, especially if they are going to be re-signing for any length of time (the six year deals with Rielly and Kadri). Rielly still is one of the top four PK choices on D. The team also bought UFA years with both players.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
and I've seen Buster flatten Dmen that were bigger then him, and Kapanen get easily pushed off the puck!

see how that works?

both of them can dish it out and take it, it's the puck battles after the shoot in, and Zach has a knack of getting possession or at least keep the puck in the corner until the rest of the boys arrive, not saying Kapanen doesn't ever win battles but there's a reason Babcock liked him there
Zach has a knack alright! For ending the play ,blind passing and scoring off his ass!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I find it interesting how Babcock won't replace Hyman with a potential regular player. Tonite it's Moore with JT and Marner,I like Moore ,but both Kappy and Johnsson gotta be wonderin what they 're doin 'wrong.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
He is ready for a bigger role. He showed it in the playoffs and he is showing it now. I honestly would take him over Nylander. Love the motor, grit, speed and compete level. We have also seen him score big time goals, not only for this team but on the international stage. He is a gamer and I fully expect him to force Babcocks hand with his high level of play.

Reactions: The Cobra

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I find it interesting how Babcock won't replace Hyman with a potential regular player. Tonite it's Moore with JT and Marner,I like Moore ,but both Kappy and Johnsson gotta be wonderin what they 're doin 'wrong.
I think they believe Hyman will be fine in a week. They put guys in the places they'll likely be after the full cuts, so people can have chemistry entering the year. If anything, they should be asking why they aren't getting any reps with Kadri.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

I thought babcock was trying to get the 4th line chemistry going and them getting used to playing with each other in a Game situation instead of practice

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
all you gotta know about kapanen right now is that hes young and when the puck is on his stick he gets it down the ice in a hurry

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
He is ready for a bigger role. He showed it in the playoffs and he is showing it now. I honestly would take him over Nylander. Love the motor, grit, speed and compete level. We have also seen him score big time goals, not only for this team but on the international stage. He is a gamer and I fully expect him to force Babcocks hand with his high level of play.
Is this a Dave Poulin shtick? Something he would totally say. Asinine

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
So GM's instruct their coaches to "reign in" certain players? So pass up great play and winning to balance the cap?

whut?

:monkey:

I think some teams do it if
a) they have someone else who can do it almost as well
b) the position they are put into instead helps them develop long term

Kadri and Reilly were both given hard matchups, made to learn defense and PK when they could have been gifted PP time and more offensive starts. It probably cost each guy some easy money stats (Goals, points etc) but may have really helped for development.

If Babs starts using Matthews and Marner all year on the PK, and they produce a few less points each BUT become even more well rounded players I am 100% down.

We got Tavares and Nylander etc who can be played against other teams top lines/get PP time to score. Dont think it effects our overall ability to win.

For Kapps I dont think we do it simply because he isnt gonna pass Nylander or Marner any time soon. Regular season I think an injury and he will be in the top 6.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
If u can't see it now, u never will. Kapanen is outsmarted on every odd man rush he gets with his speed. They dare him to shoot and he forces the pass. He never makes a high end play. It ends after his great speed. This isnt the old Maple Leafs regime. They can upgrade the bottom 6 by moving him out. Surely, Leivo should never sit in place of Kapanen. Leivo has hockey sense and deserves a shot.

Say what you want, but this kid was one of the few who actually showed up in Boston, wasn't scared and made some great plays.
Hes been given 4th line duties with 4th line linemates. Komorov *yikes*.

Give the guy this season before writing him off. This season hes gonna actually gonna get mentored properly.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Thought he had a great game last night. His speed will make him dangerous and he can clearly score if given the opportunity. If Nylander holds out for regular season games and the Ennis experiment doesn't work out with 34/12 I'd like for Babcock to try Kapanen there. His and Marleau's speed down the wings could create a lot of havoc for defenders and Matthews could be the trailing trigger man.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Is this a Dave Poulin shtick? Something he would totally say. Asinine

A shtick? No. Maybe you can explain which part you feel is asinine? I know that could be tough for you.

I place little value on soft, little floaters like Nylander. It’s okay if you do, but at least try to explain yourself a little bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad