NHL Player - Kasperi Kapanen

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Kapanen is playing great.

Johnsson not as much. I wonder if Johnsson celebrated his recent success a bit too much in the off-season. Maybe he didn't train hard enough or something and came into camp a step behind everyone else. Doesn't quite look like the same guy as from the end of last season. I'm sure he'll get there soon, but looks like 4th line duties at best for him to start the season. Good move by Dubas not giving him a huge contract. But I don't see any reason why he shouldn't return to form soon enough. It's not like his play last year was a fluke or something... you can't fake that kind of stuff.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I don't see Kaps with vision to make plays. Perhaps it's a hard thing to do while breaking the sound barrier? He gets into the offensive zone, he knows who he has to beat and where the net is. I'm not even sure Babcock wants other forwards up there with him. Or maybe they just can't get into the play fast enough? Kapanen is a very exciting player on the rush, but play making has been non-existent.

Looking at assists per 60, these are the facts:
Kasperi Kapanen's seasons for the Leafs rank 3rd, 10th, and 14th worst all-time for a Leaf right-winger. (Think this stat started being collected in `97) Someone like Mike Brown totally walk over Kapanen in this regard. In fact, only Casey Bailey, who had no assists playing 54:13 minutes over 6 games for the Leafs in `14-15 has a worst Leaf career assists/60 minutes.
Career-wise:
Kapanen is at a 0.19 assists/60. For NHL right-wingers who've recorded at least a single assist in their career... Kapanen is dead last. Colton Orr over 232 games for the Leafs was at .21, which is second worst. Blame his line-mates but Brian Boyles has scored 100 goals in the NHL. Since being with Toronto, Komarov's goal score-scoring rate never dipped below Kapanen's .98/60 rate. And every other RW in the NHL, no matter what line... has done better.

Kapanen has shows zero reasons to be moved off the fourth line. If he had any play-making in him, he should be elevating line-mates.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Kapanen is playing great.

Johnsson not as much. I wonder if Johnsson celebrated his recent success a bit too much in the off-season. Maybe he didn't train hard enough or something and came into camp a step behind everyone else. Doesn't quite look like the same guy as from the end of last season. I'm sure he'll get there soon, but looks like 4th line duties at best for him to start the season. Good move by Dubas not giving him a huge contract. But I don't see any reason why he shouldn't return to form soon enough. It's not like his play last year was a fluke or something... you can't fake that kind of stuff.

I realize this is the Kapanen thread, and this would be better placed in the Johnsson thread, but... Did we got a bit ahead of ourselves with Johnsson?

In the NHL, he had:
3 points in 9 regular season games. That's 3rd/4th line scoring pace, but he was getting used to the flow of the game for sure.
2 points in 6 playoff games. Which isn't bad, but is a tiny sample size.
This is a tiny NHL sample size, but indicates that he's capable of scoring in the NHL to some extent.

He killed it in the AHL as well, but as we know this doesn't always translate directly to NHL success. What is Andreas Johnsson, exactly?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I don't see Kaps with vision to make plays. Perhaps it's a hard thing to do while breaking the sound barrier? He gets into the offensive zone, he knows who he has to beat and where the net is. I'm not even sure Babcock wants other forwards up there with him. Or maybe they just can't get into the play fast enough? Kapanen is a very exciting player on the rush, but play making has been non-existent.

Kasperi Kapanen's seasons for the Leafs rank 3rd, 10th, and 14th worst all-time for a Leaf right-winger. (Think this stat started being collected in `97) Someone like Mike Brown totally walk over Kapanen in this regard. In fact, only Casey Bailey, who had no assists playing 54:13 minutes over 6 games for the Leafs in `14-15 has a worst Leaf career assists/60 minutes.
Career-wise:
Kapanen is at a 0.19 assists/60. For NHL right-wingers who've recorded at least a single assist in their career... Kapanen is dead last. Colton Orr over 232 games for the Leafs was at .21, which is second worst. Blame his line-mates but Brian Boyles has scored 100 goals in the NHL. Since being with Toronto, Komarov's goal score-scoring rate never dipped below Kapanen's .98/60 rate. And every other RW in the NHL, no matter what line... has done better.

Kapanen has shows zero reasons to be moved off the fourth line. If he had any play-making in him, he should be elevating line-mates.

Good ol’ stats.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Career-wise:

Just because...you’re basing this on a less than 50 game career? Outstanding!

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kappy is a more complete hockey player than Nylander and is a better fit for Matty. He has much more speed and skill than i realized.

Agreed, his confidence is sky high right now, and you could see the swagger towards the end of the game today.

Comparing Nylander to Kapanen, is like comparing apples to oranges. I think Kapanen is more comparable to Pastrnak. More of goal scorer, speed, more physical. Not saying he's going to be a 30+, 80 point player... but he's comparable in style.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Boy has this team been fun to watch these past 6 games. Never really paid that much attention to the Maple Leafs due to the lack of Finnish players and too many teams stealing my attention in the West. Thought I'd try to catch a game or two now that Kapanen was probably going to get a legit chance. Haven't really followed Kappy too much last season but I've always liked the kid even though his reputation back in Finland is/was that he might not have been the hardest working guy (perhaps not evident as a player but the way he trained in the offseasons, though he was a teenager at the time blessed with his father's genes). What's different from last season? Is it just the fact that he's playing with one of the best players in the game or has he clearly done something to improve himself?

I'm guessing no more AHL for Kappy?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He’s really not making Nylanders agents job any easier. He is an amazing skater with great hands a decent shot and above average IQ. Plus he plays the “right way” and can kill penalties and dig in the corners. Trading Nylander and leaving Kap on Matthews wing seems like a no brainer. In fact I’d almost rather him on Matthews’ wing and Nylander on Kadris if he comes back. Andreas has been very disappointing this year

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I love Kappy but some of you are overselling him and underselling Nylander.

Nylander is definitely on another level than Kapanen and has upside to burn.

I think Kapanen is a hell of a player, but he's more in the faster, Justin Williams mold (ceiling), whereas I think Nylander's ceiling is a lot higher. He reminds me of a younger Kuznetzov if he can put everything together.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
In fact I’d almost rather him on Matthews’ wing and Nylander on Kadris if he comes back. Andreas has been very disappointing this year

Agree with this. Kadri looks like he needs some help on the offensive end, as his linemates are not doing much for him.

Can you imagine what this offence will look like if Willy + Kadri starts hitting their stride?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Never doubted him - he just needed a chance. Playing with Matthews' helps give him space to do his thing. And his speed opens up space for Matthews

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Agree with this. Kadri looks like he needs some help on the offensive end, as his linemates are not doing much for him.

Can you imagine what this offence will look like if Willy + Kadri starts hitting their stride?

Nylander on Kadris like would be amazing. People complain about the defence but besides Hainsey I think it’s okay actually after a few games. Oz the jury should still be out on imo but he has gotten better.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
whats kapanen contract gonna look like in summer? looks like a 50-60 point player

Maybe getting the contract that Nylander won't take. Just cross out Willy and pass it over. In the meantime, maybe a little help on RD?

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
He’s really not making Nylanders agents job any easier. He is an amazing skater with great hands a decent shot and above average IQ. Plus he plays the “right way” and can kill penalties and dig in the corners. Trading Nylander and leaving Kap on Matthews wing seems like a no brainer. In fact I’d almost rather him on Matthews’ wing and Nylander on Kadris if he comes back. Andreas has been very disappointing this year

When Willie hopefully gets re-signed soon, putting Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander together seems like a no brainer. :D

Seriously why trade Nylander when you could put those three together and perhaps create an awesome young, dynamic scoring line??

Reactions: The Cobra

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I love Kappy but some of you are overselling him and underselling Nylander.

Nylander is definitely on another level than Kapanen and has upside to burn.

I think Kapanen is a hell of a player, but he's more in the faster, Justin Williams mold (ceiling), whereas I think Nylander's ceiling is a lot higher. He reminds me of a younger Kuznetzov if he can put everything together.

2 weeks ago I would have completely agreed with you.

But now there's just a part of me... just a part... that's thinking that maybe Nylander has had inflated stats due to playing with Matthews from the cradle.

Reactions: therealkoho

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Kapanen has shown excellent solo play in the past. But the synergy he's showing now is unlike anything.
Kap's scoring pace is better then Matthew's first two seasons. Incredible.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Kapanen has shown excellent solo play in the past. But the synergy he's showing now is unlike anything.
Kap's scoring pace is better then Matthew's first two seasons. Incredible.
Speed kills.

Kapenan's breakaway speed down the wing opens up the ice for Matthews, and he does need much. Everything with Matthews is about going to the net, and getting it into the net.

Nylander, his style is different.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
if Kapanen keeps this up and Nylander also comes back - wow-oh-wow.

This team will be frightful

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Kapanen aka the Finnish Matthews has proven himself the prefect line mate for Actual Matthews since joining the line. They have unparalleled chemistry. Tavares and Marner working like clockwork - so good. I still say we need Nylander to compete in the playoffs. He will only make our offense more beastly! Add Nylander to the 3rd/4th line and teams are going to have more nightmares than ever facing us. #KeepWilly but Keep Kapanen with Matthews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad