NHL on FOX?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'd like to see Fox take over NBC altogether. When I was a kid NBC was great for NBA and I think NBC is better for basketball.

Fox just did a better job with hockey

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
In the end, NHL will split the TV rights among more than one network and we as fans will lose the priviledge of paying only one subscription fee to watch all hockey games. They win we lose.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
How much can we expect the cap to go up after the new TV deal(s)?

$64m question.

A lot will depend on the TOTAL VALUE of broadcast AND streaming deals. With falling #s of folks "cutting the cord", the subscription #s on cable/satellite will probably fall (and may not have much $$ increase) while streaming options (including NHL.tv) #s should increase.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
How much can we expect the cap to go up after the new TV deal(s)?

We can make a rough guess with this formula: x / 32 / 2
That's the increase, divided by 32 franchises (as Seattle will exist then), and then split 50/50 between teams and players (assuming that doesn't change by then)

So let's say it jumps to $500mm from the current $200mm.

$300mm / 32 / 2 = A little under $4.7mm

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Once the new nfl CBA comes in I wonder if we'll see any cards shown by fox re: the new tv rights

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Skip and Shannon would be forced to talk about it.

If will be interesting who FOX Sports hires to be their NHL analysts to randomly discuss NHL on their debate shows. I imagine they try to get big personality ex-player like Brett Hull and/or personality hockey talking head like Brian Burke imo.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
One thing to watch - FOX has been testing 4K games the past 2 years on FS1 and NBC has not done the same.

Canada is way ahead of the US in rolling out 4K but the main issue is OTA stations can not transmit in 4K and when they do finally implement ATSC 3.0 it will require separate transmitters that currently use ATSC 1.0. Canada gets around this by simulcasting CBC games on Sportsnet.

I believe the NHL feels that NBC has not promoted the sport better so.....

I think Bettman wants to give ESPN a piece of the pie but like MLB it will be a regular-season package.

ESPN defecated all over the NHL the last time they had broadcast rights. Then followed that up by lowballing the league with such an insulting offer that the NHL walked away with its tail between its legs to broadcast games on Vs. and for free on NBC.

The idea that Bettman has forgotten that is absurd. I’d be shocked if they ever went back to ESPN or ABC for the major TV package under Bettman’s watch. Nobody has ever promoted the league the way NBC and FOX have. NBC has been a phenomenal TV partner.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
ESPN defecated all over the NHL the last time they had broadcast rights. Then followed that up by lowballing the league with such an insulting offer that the NHL walked away with its tail between its legs to broadcast games on Vs. and for free on NBC.

The idea that Bettman has forgotten that is absurd. I’d be shocked if they ever went back to ESPN or ABC for the major TV package under Bettman’s watch. Nobody has ever promoted the league the way NBC and FOX have. NBC has been a phenomenal TV partner.

I think it bowls down to the fact it’s been 15 years since ESPN has had the NHL rights and new management there seems to want the NHL back by their ESPN+ streaming deal and the fact they have simulcast TSN’s deadline day coverage on ESPN2 for two hours the past few years. Also, they broadcasted the 2016 World Cup of Hockey and Bergman was coy on the future relationship between NHL and ESPN in the future when interviewed by Steve Levy and Barry Melrose. To be the honest, NBC’s coverage has seemed like boring and mundane the past few years. It feels like just a property they have on their air and simply broadcast the games. Look at their much raved Premier League coverage, feels like an event they cover the matches. I think NHL feels like NBC while a stable partner, hasn’t really made the NHL feel like a top sporting event on their NBC Sports catalog like NFL, Golf, and Premier League and I agree.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

If any of that was true, he wouldn't have given them the WCOH rights.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I think it'll be fox, fs1 & hopefully espn and abc.

I think it will be FOX/FS1 and NBC/NBCSN. I just think ESPN is overcrowded with content and would be hard to fit NHL on their fall-winter lineup. Remember college basketball is big on their lineup post CFB and NFL maybe you can squeeze in those games midweek on ESPN, but I’m not sure.

Reactions: oknazevad

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$64m question.

A lot will depend on the TOTAL VALUE of broadcast AND streaming deals. With falling #s of folks "cutting the cord", the subscription #s on cable/satellite will probably fall (and may not have much $$ increase) while streaming options (including NHL.tv) #s should increase.
SN is laying off analysts because their deal hasn’t panned out like they hoped.

US deal will be for more than what they are currently getting but I doubt we’ll see anything like triple the current annual value.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

***Whispers*** ESPN already owns a major NHL rights package worth close to a $100 million.

Having said that, I don’t see an ESPN exclusive or Fox/ESPN split as that would essentially kill NBCSN and could put the league in a similar position as the early lights where they got squeezed on the rights deal for the next set of negotiations.

The league should always look at least on negotiation beyond the current negotiation period. Essentially make sure you always have at least one extra suitor who is looking to get in.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Skip and Shannon would be forced to talk about it.

I highly doubt it. Even Colin Cowherd has mentioned at least once on Twitter that he enjoys the Stanley Cup Playoffs, attends LA Kings games, and would talk about Hockey but his audience largely is only interested in the NBA and NFL, and occasionally College Football and Baseball during the World Series. ESPNs First Take is the same way (They've admitted this on more than one occasion) and likely the same is true of Undisputed and Speak for Yourself. The only time Undisputed has had a Hockey topic to my knowledge was when Charles Barkley slammed the NBA playoffs for being boring and went to Nashville for the Finals. Skip was "deeply offended" that Barkley wanted to watch Hockey instead of Basketball, lol.

My favorite Skip Bayless Hockey topic was the day after the first Winter Classic in 2008 when he was on First Take. It was more a debate about whether or not the NHL should keep doing them but Skip was so disgusted that he had to talk about Hockey for perhaps the first time in his life that he made it known from the start that he wanted to continue the last debate, probably something Kobe or LeBron related, and spent the entire time lambasting the NHL for not being as popular as the NFL or NBA and therefore it wasn't worth his time. Wouldn't acknowledge it at all and he acted like a child being told to do their homework instead of playing video games, the guest filling in for Stephen A. Smith even told him so and Skip just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't care and wanted to talk more NBA. It was ridiculous, but typical for someone of Skips persona. On the other hand the guest that day was Michael Smith from His and Hers, and he knew his shit, could name several of the players that day and their positions besides just Crosby. I was impressed.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I think it will be FOX/FS1 and NBC/NBCSN. I just think ESPN is overcrowded with content and would be hard to fit NHL on their fall-winter lineup. Remember college basketball is big on their lineup post CFB and NFL maybe you can squeeze in those games midweek on ESPN, but I’m not sure.
Well the playoffs aren't on espn. Their on tru tv, tbs, cbs & TNT.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
And they only have one game a week on espn or espn 2 and F1 is on early in the morning on abc and espn so maybe they could have Sunday games on abc and make espn and NBCSN asthe cable networks, even if ABC doesn't get the rights to Sunday night football, hockey is after baseball season and they could have a primetime hockey game on ESPN on Sunday and Monday night.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ed Snider was the driver behind the NBC contract with Comcast buying into them. It will be different. I think the NHL needs something more flexible, NBC wouldn't touch hockey until New Years. Don't know if the primetime paradigm will change with a new contract. I liked ESPN's coverage of hockey. Fox is going to have to do some work, but I think they offer the potential of bringing back more evening hockey back, especially for the playoffs, as they have MLB and NASCAR filling those spots on the weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad