NHL on FOX?

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
"In an interview published Monday, Fox Sports SVP/sales Mark Evans told The Big Lead that Fox is interested in pursuing NHL media rights when they become available. Evans: “[The NHL] could be a place that we’d like to delve back into.” Fox last held national NHL rights in the 1990s. Sports Business Journal reported earlier this year that Fox is interested in the NHL and that the league is open to splitting media rights among multiple partners."

Extra points: Steve Nash, NHL/Fox, NBA/Twitch, ACCNX

MLS is a failure. Maybe this is a reason why is FOX looking at NHL.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
"In an interview published Monday, Fox Sports SVP/sales Mark Evans told The Big Lead that Fox is interested in pursuing NHL media rights when they become available. Evans: “[The NHL] could be a place that we’d like to delve back into.” Fox last held national NHL rights in the 1990s. Sports Business Journal reported earlier this year that Fox is interested in the NHL and that the league is open to splitting media rights among multiple partners."

Extra points: Steve Nash, NHL/Fox, NBA/Twitch, ACCNX

MLS is a failure. Maybe this is a reason why is FOX looking at NHL.

FOX has the channels that could handle the playoffs like NBC does

Fox Corporation - Wikipedia

It has the over the air component that Bettman covets and they might be willing to offer the NHL more prime time slots on the main network.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Just checked my cable line up (Cox)....

Fox
Fox News
Fox Sports
Fox Sports 2
Fox Business
Fox Life (never have watched it)
Fox College Sports (3 channels)
FX?
FX Movie?

(Plus a couple of regional Fox Sports channels)

Some channels are only in SD.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Fox
Fox News
Fox Sports
Fox Sports 2
Fox Business
FX?
FX Movie?

Remember that a lot of these aren't actually FOX anymore.

FX, FXX, FXM - Sold to Disney
FS RSNs - Sold to Sinclair

It's really just network FOX, FS1/2, Fox News & Fox Business.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Fox
Fox News
Fox Sports
Fox Sports 2
Fox Business
FX?
FX Movie?

Remember that a lot of these aren't actually FOX anymore.

FX, FXX, FXM - Sold to Disney
FS RSNs - Sold to Sinclair

It's really just network FOX, FS1/2, Fox News & Fox Business.

Assuming Fox Business would be used like CNBC has been for NBC that is really all they need for the first round with NHL Network also available.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Assuming Fox Business would be used like CNBC has been for NBC that is really all they need for the first round with NHL Network also available.
Assuming that there isn't a split in rights, with Fox only getting half (not all, exclusively). But the point remains the same - for the first round, if there are ever five or six games scheduled with the same time slot, it could be spread out over the entirety of two broadcasters easily.

AND put all the Finals games on over the air TV channel.
The realization here is that when Fox last had the NHL contract, Fox didn't have any "cable channels". The reason the finals have been on NBCSN is because NBCSN has been trying to drive the need for the channel, so the NHL agreed that some finals games go there. Dependent upon a split contract, I'd suspect nothing would really change - the finals will likely still be split between an over-the-air broadcaster and their cable sports property (NBC/NBCSN, Fox/FS1, CBS/CBSSN, ABC/ESPN).

I get the feeling that the NHL will have multiple networks in the next deal.
Based on the article, that's now NBC and Fox that have expressed interest. We'll have to see if there's another suitor.

And let's not forget that the out-of-market rights in the US, both streaming and traditional, are also up for grabs at the same time. That six-year, $600 million deal in 2015 expires at about the same time as the national contract, and now that MLBAM was absorbed into ESPN, ESPN could make a play.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Assuming that there isn't a split in rights, with Fox only getting half (not all, exclusively). But the point remains the same - for the first round, if there are ever five or six games scheduled with the same time slot, it could be spread out over the entirety of two broadcasters easily.

The realization here is that when Fox last had the NHL contract, Fox didn't have any "cable channels". The reason the finals have been on NBCSN is because NBCSN has been trying to drive the need for the channel, so the NHL agreed that some finals games go there. Dependent upon a split contract, I'd suspect nothing would really change - the finals will likely still be split between an over-the-air broadcaster and their cable sports property (NBC/NBCSN, Fox/FS1, CBS/CBSSN, ABC/ESPN).

Based on the article, that's now NBC and Fox that have expressed interest. We'll have to see if there's another suitor.

And let's not forget that the out-of-market rights in the US, both streaming and traditional, are also up for grabs at the same time. That six-year, $600 million deal in 2015 expires at about the same time as the national contract, and now that MLBAM was absorbed into ESPN, ESPN could make a play.
That would be HORRIBLE for the league and I suspect NHL wont go for it.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just want all the Finals games on the over-the-air channel. I don't care if that channel is NBC (if they decide to keep rolling with them), Fox, ABC, CBS, whatever. There should be no Finals games on the cable channel, none.

As far as Fox picking up the league, if thats the best route for the NHL going forward then I'm all for it, I'm not always a fan of their NFL coverage (it gets a little to in-your-face for my liking) but the network and the league do have a bit of a history together. Just please keep Joe Buck away from the booth.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I’m hoping for an NBC/FOX split package similar to NBA with TNT/ESPN where both networks have games during the week with and some weekend afternoon games after the Super Bowl over the air. Playoff schedule would probably majority on NBCSN with FOX/FS1 getting some games on the weekend starting Friday. Conference Finals split up between network, NBC gets one and FOX gets the other one. SCF will be where I think the NHL might have the biggest bidding war for who gets exclusive coverage. I can both network wanting all the games with no back and forth like in the 90s. I think alternating years of exclusive over the air rights would be fair, but I can see both network not liking that.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wouldn't mind an NBC/Fox Split of coverage. For one, I agree with @HisIceness that all Final games should be on the main network, but if Fox is trying to be more of a sports network, than having like a Thursday Night NHL game (And Thursday night is the most popular night in the league) is a great idea. Now that they lost The Orville, it would be nice to have something to see on Thursdays if the Sharks aren't playing and Star Trek isn't on.

Reactions: NEPA and HisIceness

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
FWIW, the NFL tv contracts expire after 2022.

I could see Fox getting into the game if they get outbid on TNF next time around.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I just want all the Finals games on the over-the-air channel. I don't care if that channel is NBC (if they decide to keep rolling with them), Fox, ABC, CBS, whatever. There should be no Finals games on the cable channel, none.
In a perfect world, yes. In the real world, networks are probably not giving up shows that draw high ratings for the sake of a pro contract that draws lesser ratings. When push comes to shove, dollars talk and feelings walk.

FWIW, the NFL tv contracts expire after 2022.

I could see Fox getting into the game if they get outbid on TNF next time around.
The NFL CBA expires after the 2020 season. I expect the players to dig in on getting rid of TNF after the expiration of the current contract, which would make concerns of getting outbid totally moot.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
In a perfect world, yes. In the real world, networks are probably not giving up shows that draw high ratings for the sake of a pro contract that draws lesser ratings. When push comes to shove, dollars talk and feelings walk.

The NFL CBA expires after the 2020 season. I expect the players to dig in on getting rid of TNF after the expiration of the current contract, which would make concerns of getting outbid totally moot.
Why can't NFL play on Fridays anyway?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

It has nothing to do with ratings. NBC usually airs a rerun of Dateline against the games to fill the time.

It's all about giving NBCSN premium content to drive the subscription price up.

Reactions: NCRanger and Fenway

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It has nothing to do with ratings. NBC usually airs a rerun of Dateline against the games to fill the time.

It's all about giving NBCSN premium content to drive the subscription price up.
This is true, but ratings bring dollars.

[Edit: I was going to make a comparative comment about ratings, but then as I went to do research I was shocked to see what apparently are putrid ratings for May, 2019 across everything. Am I seriously reading it correctly that the vast majority of TV shows don't pull a 1.0 rating? I mean, I know TV viewership on the major network channels is down, but holy shit that seems really, really low.]

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is true, but ratings bring dollars.

[Edit: I was going to make a comparative comment about ratings, but then as I went to do research I was shocked to see what apparently are putrid ratings for May, 2019 across everything. Am I seriously reading it correctly that the vast majority of TV shows don't pull a 1.0 rating? I mean, I know TV viewership on the major network channels is down, but holy **** that seems really, really low.]
upload_2019-8-11_22-19-17.png

The Broadcast TV industry is in shambles

Local stations that are NOT owned by a network used to get paid for carrying shows, now they pay the network.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One thing to watch - FOX has been testing 4K games the past 2 years on FS1 and NBC has not done the same.

Canada is way ahead of the US in rolling out 4K but the main issue is OTA stations can not transmit in 4K and when they do finally implement ATSC 3.0 it will require separate transmitters that currently use ATSC 1.0. Canada gets around this by simulcasting CBC games on Sportsnet.

I believe the NHL feels that NBC has not promoted the sport better so.....

I think Bettman wants to give ESPN a piece of the pie but like MLB it will be a regular-season package.

Reactions: OddyOh

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Why can't NFL play on Fridays anyway?

High school football.
It's basically true, but the answer is a slight bit more surprising...

As usual, a merger that creates a monopoly is subject to anti-trust review. The merger of the NFL and AFL in 1966 was allowed provided the merged league did not perform games on Fridays nor Saturdays between Labor Day and US Thanksgiving in order to protect both high school and college football.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad