NHL on FOX?

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Nhl can command more money because fox and nbc is losing everything to ESPN. Fox had to settle for wwe after losing ufc to ESPN. German soccer league about to leave fox. NBCsn losing nhl would be a huge blow. Nhl realize this and will take advantage of the market. $750 million per year don't sound unreasonable. Nbc would make the money back in the deal.

Thats Canadian not US , the US equivalent. would be ($550mil yr) $750m yr for US would be really far fetched given the NHL US cable ratings trajectory since the last TV deal (slight 11%decrease). Given the new flat is up TV ratings philosophy, a league can expect to at least double TV revenue just off of that. This article jives with what we heard last season that the NHL was looking for at least $500m yr US TV which would be a 2.5x fold increase from the current $200m yr.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
It really depends on cable/ota multiple bidders and how the streaming channels like ESPN+, DAZN, etc value the NHL.

WWE got far more than expected due to FOX and USA bidding against each other and UFC TV deal up at the same time.

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
I agree, the streaming component will be interesting. ESPN (formally BAM) pays the NHL 100 million a year for 6 years. That will end when NBC's 10 year 200 million annually contact is over. The NHL still owns 7 to 10 percent of the streaming company negotiated with MLB before Disney bought 100% of the company. If the new television rights are 550 (US) million a year and streaming rights go up 2.5 times as well that puts the total US media rights at 800 million a year. Perhaps I am missing something but that sounds possible based on the interest from Fox, ESPN and NBC wanting to re-up.
I am not sure where the negative ratings growth figure comes from? The NHL playoffs were the highest rated in 23 years last year. The regular season has been flat or down but the playoffs are 70% of what a network is paying rights fees for and the timing of that will also help drive up the bidding.

BLUES-BRUINS GAME 7 ON NBC IS MOST-WATCHED NHL GAME ON RECORD

Reactions: Trizent

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I agree, the streaming component will be interesting. ESPN (formally BAM) pays the NHL 100 million a year for 6 years. That will end when NBC's 10 year 200 million annually contact is over. The NHL still owns 7 to 10 percent of the streaming company negotiated with MLB before Disney bought 100% of the company. If the new television rights are 550 (US) million a year and streaming rights go up 2.5 times as well that puts the total US media rights at 800 million a year. Perhaps I am missing something but that sounds possible based on the interest from Fox, ESPN and NBC wanting to re-up.
I am not sure where the negative ratings growth figure comes from? The NHL playoffs were the highest rated in 23 years last year. The regular season has been flat or down but the playoffs are 70% of what a network is paying rights fees for and the timing of that will also help drive up the bidding.

BLUES-BRUINS GAME 7 ON NBC IS MOST-WATCHED NHL GAME ON RECORD

Streaming is another venue of revenue. This year as part of the new deal ESPN started paying UFC $150mil yr for its streaming content and $150m yr for it's TV content. I'm not sure of NHL streaming numbers per say vs UFC or how they pick which games to stream, like is it just local market non blackout I presume? Maybe someone has that info. As for TV numbers I was talking regular season numbers the Stanley Cup numbers fluctuate greatly and depends on who's playing. That last month of the playoffs can pull in VERY solid numbers, however I was talking regular season. ESPN broadcast shows 30 UFC fights a yr, 10 on ESPN and 20 on ESPN+ So I can see ESPN paying about the same for NHL 300mil yr with NBC paying $300m as well despite losing some games . There is also a possibility albeit not great that a network like ESPN Blows NHL away with a crazy exclusive rights deal something like $650-750mil yr for everything. However as always when you seek to split network deals NHL has to be careful not to overplay its hand, UFC was originally seeking $450 mil yr and ended up getting $300m yr and took the exclusive deal from ESPN. FOX presumably bowed out. I don't think NBC would ever do something like that though they need NHL.
NHL TV RATINGS Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
Streaming is another venue of revenue. This year as part of the new deal ESPN started paying UFC $150mil yr for its streaming content and $150m yr for it's TV content. I'm not sure of NHL streaming numbers per say vs UFC or how they pick which games to stream, like is it just local market non blackout I presume? Maybe someone has that info. As for TV numbers I was talking regular season numbers the Stanley Cup numbers fluctuate greatly and depends on who's playing. That last month of the playoffs can pull in VERY solid numbers, however I was talking regular season. ESPN broadcast shows 30 UFC fights a yr 20 10 on ESPN and 20 on ESPN+ So I can see ESPN paying about the same for NHL 300mil yr with NBC paying $300m as well despite losing some games . There is also a possibility albeit not great that a network like ESPN Blows NHL away with a crazy exclusive rights deal something like $650-750mil yr for everything. However as always when you seek to split network deals NHL has to be careful not to overplay its hand, UFC was originally seeking $450 mil yr and ended up getting $300m yr and took the exclusive deal from ESPN. FOX presumably bowed out. I don't think NBC would ever do something like that though they need NHL.
View attachment 253649
Makes sense. Thanks.

Reactions: eddygee

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It really depends on cable/ota multiple bidders and how the streaming channels like ESPN+, DAZN, etc value the NHL.

WWE got far more than expected due to FOX and USA bidding against each other and UFC TV deal up at the same time.
With WWE there’s no production costs to the network. So long as they can make back their costs with advertising they’ll be fine.

With pro sports your producing the game. Needing PBP, color, in studio analysts, production crew, etc.

Be interesting to see what the networks decide. I mean, if NBC right now could charge 30% more per each 30 second tv spot, I’d think they would charge that regardless of what they are paying for rights fees.

Jokerit 16

Feb 8, 2018
Finland
Next USA deal:

7-9 years

NBC 50 % 400 $
FOX 40 % 300 $
Wild card tech company 10 % 75 $

Total package 775 million $

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad