Confirmed with Link: NHL & NHLPA Reach tentative agreement on 56 game schedule

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
From What I understand, the Canadian division is in negotiation with the local provincial authorities, since they will be in violation of the local lockdown rules

i don’t think at this point canadian division is really in negotiation. It seems at worst there would be a canadian hub, and perhaps it’s only BC giving issue with Vancouver playing home games in BC.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
i don’t think at this point canadian division is really in negotiation. It seems at worst there would be a canadian hub, and perhaps it’s only BC giving issue with Vancouver playing home games in BC.

Cant go to the games anyway, so from a fan's perspective, they can be playing on the moon, as ling as the games are at 7 pm, nothing changes for us.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Cant go to the games anyway, so from a fan's perspective, they can be playing on the moon, as ling as the games are at 7 pm, nothing changes for us.

well if it’s in the us then there’s no canadian division, so it affects the product substantially. players have a very strong preference for canada to stay in canada, and even if there is a canadian hub to allow travel back home for stints during the season. i would be surprised if canadian teams moving to us are even allowed in what they’ve just tentatively agreed to, and it’s more likely the nhl has a minimum option to ensure at worst there are canadian hub(s).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Has zero to do with him, the provinces are in control. I’ll bet it all BC is the holdout.

BC being a holdout, isn't much of a problem though... it's just one team. If just one out of seven is an issue, they'd just move them to play elsewhere. I think Ontario is also problematic, and it doesn't sound like they had even had much in the way of high level discussions with the NHL earlier this week. In the end, I think they'll smooth things out, and the NHL will move forward.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
The NHL was all set to have a bubble in Vancouver for the summer tournament and backed out because the issues the province was causing. Why are they even bothering with BC right now and wasting time they don't have? Have the Canucks play out of Edmonton and get this thing started already.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
BC being a holdout, isn't much of a problem though... it's just one team. If just one out of seven is an issue, they'd just move them to play elsewhere. I think Ontario is also problematic, and it doesn't sound like they had even had much in the way of high level discussions with the NHL earlier this week. In the end, I think they'll smooth things out, and the NHL will move forward.

They can play in Saskatchewan

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I'm sure I'll take some heat for making this post, but IF the Leafs are lucky enough to bring home the Cup this year does that solidify Thornton, Spezza, and Tavares as locks for the Hall of Fame? Thornton should make it regardless, but I think this would put a borderline case like Spezza over the top and would solidify Tavares as a future HOFer.

This isn't a comment on our actual odds of winning, just a little thought exercise I dreamt up last night when I was falling asleep.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Two questions from someone who hasn't really been paying attention:

- I know about this Canadian division, any ideas on what the others are?
- Are all regular season games going to be divisional?

Canadian: CGY, EDM, MTL, OTT, TOR, VAN, WPG
Atlantic: BOS, BUF, NJ, NYI, NYR, PHI, PIT, WAS
Central: CAR, CBJ, DET, CHI, DAL, FLA, NAS, TB
Pacific: ANA, AZ, COL, LA, MIN, SJ, STL, VGK

Here is the source:

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Canadian: CGY, EDM, MTL, OTT, TOR, VAN, WPG
Atlantic: BOS, BUF, NJ, NYI, NYR, PHI, PIT, WAS
Central: CAR, CBJ, DET, CHI, DAL, FLA, NAS, TB
Pacific: ANA, AZ, COL, LA, MIN, SJ, STL, VGK

Here is the source:

thanks Mess

Tampa is going to clean up in that division.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: leafsfan5 and X66

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
"No proration of (player) salaries" according to Elliotte Friedman. Surely there will be a large escrow in place.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Colorado, St. Louis and and Vegas in one division, that's a blood bath lol.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Elliot Friedman also mentioned "player season opt outs" and how those contracts could be pushed to the next season at the team's discretion. It may be in some players' interest strategically (with 1 year remaining in a contract until free agency) to push their free agent year forward another season to a time when the money may be flowing a little more freely.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He is going to need waivers regardless, unless we are keeping him on the main roster (which is not going to happen).

Washington will probably claim him too.

? you don’t think the taxi squad will allow for a 3 goalie? I think it would make sense to have

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yeah as they beat up on the Ducks,Kings, Sharks and Coyotes. Don't think Minnesota is really any good either. Those 3 teams have a walk of a division.

All of those were locks to make the playoffs anyway. Now 2 of 3 will be out in the 2nd round.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
All of those were locks to make the playoffs anyway. Now 2 of 3 will be out in the 2nd round.
Eh 2 of the 3 would end up playing each other in a normal year and the team that finishes first might get to play a team like Arizona instead of getting a strong wildcard team in a regular year.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

Except, what if teams in the U.S are allowed fans, as they are allowed in some states for the NFL? Some teams might have more of a home ice advantage than other teams.

Leafs might be wise to find a state that might allow fans, as it could provide a home away from home.

Obviously health and safety is the primary concern right now. Teams and players do have a vested interested in revenue returning, even if only partially. Also, the entire roll out and success of the vaccine could make a major difference as well.

Reactions: Anthrax442

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Would have preferred being in the same division. I think the Leafs would have been near guaranteed a 3rd or 4th place finish.

There's no Boston or Tampa Bay in an all-Canadian division but there are also less patsies:

Roughly at the same level as the Leafs are supposed to be: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg
Possibly coming back up to contention (plus they have the X factor of great goalie): Montreal
Patsies: Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad