NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Vegas strong was just a certain city message. This message seems to be world wide one to me.
The tragedy still happened in their city. The right should go to that city to decide if other sports teams can display something to commemorate it, just like whenever the next terrorist strikes and kills alot of people. Whether that be white supremacists, Islamists, a leftist terrorist or anything else for that matter.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Why is this only a penguins thing? This should be on every jersey if its going to be on 1.

The same thought went through my head when I first saw that the Pens were doing that. Its a great message to have and does not need to be restricted to just one team. Plus the attack, though in Pittsburgh, was not really on Pittsburgh if it makes sense.

I would have loved to see all the NHL teams show this message on their helmets.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The same thought went through my head when I first saw that the Pens were doing that. Its a great message to have and does not need to be restricted to just one team. Plus the attack, though in Pittsburgh, was not really on Pittsburgh if it makes sense.

I would have loved to see all the NHL teams show this message on their helmets.

Except it was on Pittsburgh. You can't make a separation here.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I definitely think you can. The Vegas attack did not target any specific ethnicity, religion, etc. It was totally random attack on people in a city.

The Pittsburgh attack targeted Jews. It was a hate crime.

It still happened in the Pittsburgh community. How they want to handle mourning in their community should be respected and left alone.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It still happened in the Pittsburgh community. How they want to handle mourning in their community should be respected and left alone.

I think thats is a very short sighted view and also not part of what you originally stated. You said that there can be no separation between the Vegas and Pittsburgh tragedies. There absolutely is. When you target on the basis of religion, sex, sexual preference, color it becomes a hate crime. Vegas was not a hate crime. Pittsburgh was.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think thats is a very short sighted view and also not part of what you originally stated. You said that there can be no separation between the Vegas and Pittsburgh tragedies. There absolutely is. When you target on the basis of religion, sex, sexual preference, color it becomes a hate crime. Vegas was not a hate crime. Pittsburgh was.

It's not short-sighted at all actually. Just because it's also a hate crime doesn't mean that they should be trying to have the whole league or country try to co-opt the community's way of mourning. Just leave them to mourn how they see fit. It being a hate crime doesn't and shouldn't change that.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's not short-sighted at all actually. Just because it's also a hate crime doesn't mean that they should be trying to have the whole league or country try to co-opt the community's way of mourning. Just leave them to mourn how they see fit. It being a hate crime doesn't and shouldn't change that.

Sorry. I am going to have to disagree. What you perceive as mourning for a community I look at as mourning for humanity. Why does only Pittsburgh get to mourn for the shooting? Or decide how the mourning will be done? There are communities all over the US (and world) who lost family and friends in this incident. They should get to mourn too.

Honestly, I did not want to make this into a petty argument between the two of us. The whole thing is bigger than us and is a terrible tragedy. #StrongerThanHate is something the entire world could adopt.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sorry. I am going to have to disagree. What you perceive as mourning for a community I look at as mourning for humanity. Why does only Pittsburgh get to mourn for the shooting? Or decide how the mourning will be done? There are communities all over the US (and world) who lost family and friends in this incident. They should get to mourn too.

Honestly, I did not want to make this into a petty argument between the two of us. The whole thing is bigger than us and is a terrible tragedy. #StrongerThanHate is something the entire world could adopt.

Because it's their community to mourn. Jewish leaders and everyone outside of that community can choose to mourn in whatever way they wish to do but it doesn't mean that they should be criticizing them for their choice in how to mourn. You didn't want to get into a petty argument but you're making it petty because you don't care for how Pittsburgh decided to do it? Come on, man.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Because it's their community to mourn. Jewish leaders and everyone outside of that community can choose to mourn in whatever way they wish to do but it doesn't mean that they should be criticizing them for their choice in how to mourn. You didn't want to get into a petty argument but you're making it petty because you don't care for how Pittsburgh decided to do it? Come on, man.

Who is criticizing anyone? I think you have completely misunderstood the meaning of what I said. All I am saying is that people outside should be also given the option to mourn. If the team in AZ decides to put #StrongerThanHate on their patches, then why not. We are not competing for a prize here. We are mourning and showing our support towards a community.

I am honestly confused at what you are really arguing about here? I have never once said that we get to dictate how Pittsburgh mourns. What I have said is that I would have loved to see other teams show their support as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad