NHL News/Notes XIX

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Very sad. This is in no way placing blame, but it troubles me seeing people that young driving a Focus RS. Way too much power.

I was lucky enough in high school to be given a 1976 Mercedes 300D to drive (this was in 1999-2001). It saved my life because it took 20 minutes to get to 55mph and had so much body roll, you had to take turns like you were driving Miss Daisy. If I had the car I have now, I would have ended up a statistic because my ego definitely would write a check my butt couldn't cash.
I had a Chevy Sprint hatchback that would die at stoplights if I didn’t put it in neutral and give it gas lol.

Everyone’s first car should be a piece of crap.

Reactions: slocal

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I had a Chevy Sprint hatchback that would die at stoplights if I didn’t put it in neutral and give it gas lol.

Everyone’s first car should be a piece of crap.

As long as we’re playing top trumps with first car beaters, I see your Merc 300D (what a tank) and Chevy Sprint, and raise you a 1973 AMC Hornet with 270,000 miles. 0-60 just in time for my 2001 graduation. It was best know for its failing electronics ensuring my ears were never stained with “music” instead blessing me with the ceaseless jangling, groans, and thumps it supplied for my listening pleasure; all the while regularly overheating and spontaneously lighting fire to the engine bay. Sadly, it met its end when it broke down for the last time on the shoulder of 101 north of Petaluma when I attempted one too many commutes to Santa Rosa - it having already accumulated a spectacular record of 4 whole commutes during our time together.

I’ve owned many cars since and, while each was special to me in their own ways, I’ll always remember that AMC as the absolute pinnacle of shit pile. I hope no other new driver be as tortured by their first vehicle as I was with that one - for the betterment of all humanity.

f*** that car.

Last edited:

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
As long as we’re playing top trumps with first car beaters, I see your Merc 300D (what a tank) and Chevy Sprint, and raise you a 1973 AMC Hornet with 270,000 miles. 0-60 just in time for my 2001 graduation. It was best know for its failing electronics ensuring my ears were never stained with “music” instead blessing me with the ceaseless jangling, groans, and thumps it supplied for my listening pleasure; all the while regularly overheating and spontaneously lighting fire to the engine bay. Sadly, it met its end when it broke down for the last time on the shoulder of 101 north of Petaluma when I attempted one too many commutes to Santa Rosa - it having already accumulated a spectacular record of 4 whole commutes during our time together.

I’ve owned many cars since and, while each was special to me in their own ways, I’ll always remember that AMC as the absolute pinnacle of shit pile. I hope no other new driver be as tortured by their first vehicle as I was with that one - for the betterment of all humanity.

f*** that car.

Haha, wow. :laugh:

My 300D was immaculate with a silver metal flake paint, chrome up the wazoo and a spare 15-gallon tank in the trunk. It had about 300k miles but was restored before my grandparents got it for me. I remember my gramps saying, "when you look good, you don't need to be fast." He was right! It was a popular car in high school and the German exchange students always wanted to ride in it.

I'll get another some day, maybe even my old one since I still see it around town (sold it to a Mercedes collector). I miss hearing that glug glug glug.

Reactions: Sandisfan

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Haha, wow. :laugh:

My 300D was immaculate with a silver metal flake paint, chrome up the wazoo and a spare 15-gallon tank in the trunk. It had about 300k miles but was restored before my grandparents got it for me. I remember my gramps saying, "when you look good, you don't need to be fast." He was right! It was a popular car in high school and the German exchange students always wanted to ride in it.

I'll get another some day, maybe even my old one since I still see it around town (sold it to a Mercedes collector). I miss hearing that glug glug glug.

That’s so cool. Sounds like you had a really cherry 300D. I’m so used to seeing the sorta worn down grimey ones, that you know have 200K on the odometer with yet another 200K to come. They just go forever.

I had a neighbor with a 300D growing up. I’d recognize that glug glug glug to this day. It’s so distinctive.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
That’s so cool. Sounds like you had a really cherry 300D. I’m so used to seeing the sorta worn down grimey ones, that you know have 200K on the odometer with yet another 200K to come. They just go forever.

I had a neighbor with a 300D growing up. I’d recognize that glug glug glug to this day. It’s so distinctive.

Hah, well my old surf car, a '77 240D, had enough rust holes in it that it would whistle when going past 35mph :laugh:

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I was too scared to touch them. That rust would have jumped onto me like some sort of Creepshow alien flora.
Seems like a missed opportunity.

7gdi.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce