NHL Network Rankings

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Benn over Kane at crunch time?

What the hell has Benn done at crunch time? Nothing.
What has Kane done at crunch time? I don't have time to post every goal.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm hardly a Blackhawks fanboy and I find almost literally zero debate for taking Benn over Kane in any scenario. Ever. And I like Benn as a player. Let alone playoffs? Kane is one of the best playoff performers of the past nine years. That's a pretty small list....he's on it.

Effective without the dazzle? Great. Dazzle or not he's not as effective as Kane is. Kane's resume speaks enough for itself without any of us having to even discuss this further.

Picking Benn over Kane is akin to decision-making that eventually leads to GM's losing their jobs. If you were creating a playoff roster from scratch and took Benn before Kane you should lose your job. Period.

Kane all day, every day. Next.

....drops the mic on the way out!! Amen!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm hardly a Blackhawks fanboy and I find almost literally zero debate for taking Benn over Kane in any scenario. Ever. And I like Benn as a player. Let alone playoffs? Kane is one of the best playoff performers of the past nine years. That's a pretty small list....he's on it.

Effective without the dazzle? Great. Dazzle or not he's not as effective as Kane is. Kane's resume speaks enough for itself without any of us having to even discuss this further.

Picking Benn over Kane is akin to decision-making that eventually leads to GM's losing their jobs. If you were creating a playoff roster from scratch and took Benn before Kane you should lose your job. Period.

Kane all day, every day. Next.

It's the exact mentality that led to Seguin being in Dallas in the first place :laugh:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Is the difference between what Saad brings and what Benn brings worth 3.5M? In a vacuum, not just in our cap situation.

Absolutely. Benn is getting "put down" in this thread but it's in comparison to the only other winger better than him in the league. Benn is far and away the second best in the league. He does everything Saad does but bigger and better. He's a franchise player, Saad is just an excellent complimentary piece.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Absolutely. Benn is getting "put down" in this thread but it's in comparison to the only other winger better than him in the league. Benn is far and away the second best in the league. He does everything Saad does but bigger and better. He's a franchise player, Saad is just an excellent complimentary piece.

Definitely. I have no issue with people taking Benn over Kane in a normal hockey game in the middle of January. But to say they would take Benn over Kane in crunch time is so wrong, it deserves the amount of backlash it has been given, if not more. Just so wrong.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Especially as Blackhawks fans who've been watching Kane for so long and know exactly how special of a player he is

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Nothing against Kaner but I know which player I'd prefer at crunch time.

"Crunch Time" - That mythical time in which all big, old timey, physical hockey players with grit and sand paper dominate all.

Benn is a very good player, but what the hell are you talking about? Kane has been as good when it counts as any active player.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
"Crunch Time" - That mythical time in which all big, old timey, physical hockey players with grit and sand paper dominate all.

Benn is a very good player, but what the hell are you talking about? Kane has been as good when it counts as any active player.
:sarcasm:
Yep ... mythical. RS = PO ... no difference.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Benn is closer to Saad than he is Kane in terms of playstyle.

Its really hard to compare them. Gun to head, I probably prefer Benn's game as he's better at driving possession, is better away from the puck, and gets tougher deployment.

But you cant argue with Kane's results as deployed.

I'd take either on my team any day. Happy to have one of them.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

:sarcasm:
Yep ... mythical. RS = PO ... no difference.

Bobby, I have no idea why you would think what Benn might do in the playoffs would be greater than what Kane has already done?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Benn = Hall of Very Good
Kane = Hall of Fame

Nothing else to be said about this ridiculous topic of conversation.

Anyone who would take Benn over Kane in crunch time, in the playoffs... is crazy.

Kane has basically been the most clutch performer in the NHL for the past 9 seasons.

I take Benn over Kane (on the ice) if the score is 3-2 Hawks in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final with 1 minute left in the game. And that's about it. Any other scenario, it's Kane 100% of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad