NHL Network Rankings

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Everybody lay off Bobby. He simply agreed with me that Benn is possibly a better winger than Kane ATM.

Kane has had a much better career and will likely put up more points then Benn this year. However, Benn plays a solid two-way game and doesn't get nearly the offensive starts/easy matchups.

Picking one or the other, for this season, is based almost solely on what a fan's preference is (mine being power forwards who play solid defense).

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Everybody lay off Bobby. He simply agreed with me that Benn is possibly a better winger than Kane ATM.

Kane has had a much better career and will likely put up more points then Benn this year. However, Benn plays a solid two-way game and doesn't get nearly the offensive starts/easy matchups.

Picking one or the other, for this season, is based almost solely on what a fan's preference is (mine being power forwards who play solid defense).

He just said he would take Benn over Kane in "crunch time"..Uhh..over Patrick Kane.. the guy that is tied for third in playoff overtime goals and is still only 28.

He also had some cool crunch time moment in 2010.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He just said he would take Benn over Kane in "crunch time"..Uhh..over Patrick Kane.. the guy that is tied for third in playoff overtime goals and is still only 28.

i have been following this and i am not taking sides here. but everyone has a right to voice their opinion, whether it make sense or not. now this is not in ref to bobby, but if you have a problem, the best thing to counter is not to enable him or her.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

I understand that Bobby mentioned the playoffs. And while I'd lean towards Kane in that instance (experience is key), Benn can still make a valid case for himself (15pts in his last 13 playoff games and better defense).

People are making way too big a deal about the separation between these two. I think people (and the NHL network) talking down Toews and Crow's abilities are a bigger issue IMO.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
I understand that Bobby mentioned the playoffs. And while I'd lean towards Kane in that instance (experience is key), Benn can still make a valid case for himself (15pts in his last 13 playoff games and better defense).

People are making way too big a deal about the separation between these two. I think people (and the NHL network) talking down Toews and Crow's abilities are a bigger issue IMO.

Yeah Crawford not being top 10 is crazy to me, he was damn near carrying us the past two seasons before missing time.

I'm not taking Rinne, Jones, Henrik, Quick or Murray over Crawford.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Maybe if you were less of a casual fan you'd realize that nobody outside of Stars fans, and even then probably not many, would agree with you that Benn is preferred in crunch time.

What a joke of a post. Between this and your Crawford nonsense, you're either being purposefully obtuse or you really haven't watched a Hawks playoff game in 4 years

Actually I haven't missed a single minute of a Blackhawk game since Center Ice became available to me, and that was more than 4 years ago.

Objectively, if you can't see that Kaner can be shut down in PO/International hockey, it is you who hasn't paid attention. That is, by shut down I mean shut down only to an extent. He'll collect points no matter what ops throw at him but he needs a lot of help from his line-mates to be effective. Don't get me wrong he can be explosive especially in the RS .... but this is more about Benn and what I think of his play that I think it will get even better with experience. It doesn't hurt that Radulov and Seguin are possibly his linemates going into the season. Could be the best line in hockey?

I'm not trying to be a troll, I calls 'em as I sees 'em, without being a homer if possible.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Agreed.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Has Benn done anything even remotely similar to Kane's 2010 OT GWG, deking through the entire Bruins defense and setting up the GTG in game 6 2013, keeping the series alive in games 5&6 against LA 2014, etc...?

He's an excellent player. No denying that. It's close, but Jamie Benn is second best to Kane and it's not really debatable. Kane has him beat statistically (regular season and playoffs), has him beat with individual trophies, and has him beat with Cups.

Whatever attempts to put more emphasis on defense/physicality are just being contrarian

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Has Benn done anything even remotely similar to Kane's 2010 OT GWG, deking through the entire Bruins defense and setting up the GTG in game 6 2013, keeping the series alive in games 5&6 against LA 2014, etc...?

He's an excellent player. No denying that. It's close, but Jamie Benn is second best to Kane and it's not really debatable. Kane has him beat statistically (regular season and playoffs), has him beat with individual trophies, and has him beat with Cups.

Whatever attempts to put more emphasis on defense/physicality are just being contrarian

Spot on analysis.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Benn is a damn good player and no one should argue that he is not a better defensive player than Kane. Benn has been a PPG player twice in his career and it was playing with Seguin/Sharp and Seguin/Eaves so it was not like he was playing with bad players or even average players. Benn has harder starts but let's not act like he gets shut down line starts. Kane has outperformed Benn internationally as will playing with much worse linemates, yes Team Canada has a lot more talent than Team USA and it is not even close. With the game on the line, you take Kane over Benn if you need to score 10/10 times. I would rather have Tarasenko or Laine over Benn at this point.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Kane's cup clinching goal wasn't anything anybody else couldn't score. Andrew Desjardins could score a goal like that. It's odd that Kane's most memorable goal is also one of his easiest, "but that's hockey baby!".

And both players have qualities the other does not. Kane has slightly better offense and a gift for skating through defenders. Benn has better defense, a physical presence, and harder minutes.

I understand putting Kane ahead. I oftentimes flip my opinions based on how each player is performing. But understand that the decision between the two is not quite so easy.

And I compare these two like I compare Panarin and Saad. One scores more and can be a gamebreaker at times, but at the expense of playing super easy minutes and no defense. The other scores a bit less, but faces much tougher opposition/zone starts and is an asset defensively. It's simply a matter of what skills you value more.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

No. Defense is important.

The gap between Kane and Benn offensively is too big for Benn being better defensively to make up. Benn is a fine defensive player but lets not act like he is Hossa like.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Benn is a damn good player and no one should argue that he is not a better defensive player than Kane. Benn has been a PPG player twice in his career and it was playing with Seguin/Sharp and Seguin/Eaves so it was not like he was playing with bad players or even average players. Benn has harder starts but let's not act like he gets shut down line starts. Kane has outperformed Benn internationally as will playing with much worse linemates, yes Team Canada has a lot more talent than Team USA and it is not even close. With the game on the line, you take Kane over Benn if you need to score 10/10 times. I would rather have Tarasenko or Laine over Benn at this point.

But what if the score is tied? What if we're up one? Again, it's what you value more in a player.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Kane's cup clinching goal wasn't anything anybody else couldn't score. Andrew Desjardins could score a goal like that. It's odd that Kane's most memorable goal is also one of his easiest, "but that's hockey baby!".

And both players have qualities the other does not. Kane has slightly better offense and a gift for skating through defenders. Benn has better defense, a physical presence, and harder minutes.

I understand putting Kane ahead. I oftentimes flip my opinions based on how each player is performing. But understand that the decision between the two is not quite so easy.

And I compare these two like I compare Panarin and Saad. One scores more and can be a gamebreaker at times, but at the expense of playing super easy minutes and no defense. The other scores a bit less, but faces much tougher opposition/zone starts and is an asset defensively. It's simply a matter of what skills you value more.

If Desi tried a shoulder fake like that his skates might fall off. Bad comparison. You might be better off comparing Kruger to Ovi.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
But what if the score is tied? What if we're up one? Again, it's what you value more in a player.

If the score is tied (you should be trying to score) you take Kane. If you are up a goal you take Benn.

Everything changes in the playoffs though because Kane does tend to elevate his defensive game.

Defense has value but you are overvaluing it in this case because Kane is far too gifted offensively for Benn to make the gap up with his D. I think everyone knows by now I value D greatly.

BTW people are overstating Benn's defensive usage. 54% oZS% vs 46 dZS% for his career.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No. Defense is important.

The gap between Kane and Benn offensively is too big for Benn being better defensively to make up. Benn is a fine defensive player but lets not act like he is Hossa like.

Yeah sorry that's all I was trying to say.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If Desi tried a shoulder fake like that his skates might fall off. Bad comparison. You might be better off comparing Kruger to Ovi.

I meant more the shot itself, not what lead up to it. It's not like it was a backhander or hard slapper. It was just a soft shot that fooled Leighton.

If the score is tied (you should be trying to score) you take Kane. If you are up a goal you take Benn.

Everything changes in the playoffs though because Kane does tend to elevate his defensive game.

Defense has value but you are overvaluing it in this case because Kane is far too gifted offensively for Benn to make the gap up with his D. I think everyone knows by now I value D greatly.

BTW people are overstating Benn's defensive usage. 54% oZS% vs 46 dZS% for his career.

I value not getting scored on equally to scoring. I know Benn isn't a great player defensively, but he's better than Kane and we all know Kane got as much offensive zone starts and easiest matchups that Q could give him. Benn doesn't shutdown like a Toews, but he's a lot better in that category than Kane.

I'm not saying Benn is better than Kane. However, there is an argument to be had for either player.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I meant more the shot itself, not what lead up to it. It's not like it was a backhander or hard slapper. It was just a soft shot that fooled Leighton.

I value not getting scored on equally to getting scored on. I know Benn isn't a great player defensively, but he's better than Kane and we all know Kane got as much offensive zone starts and easiest matchups that Q could give him. Benn doesn't shutdown like a Toews, but he's a lot better in that category than Kane.

I'm not saying Benn is better than Kane. However, there is an argument to be had for either player.

I think your values are off...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I think your values are off...

Dammit, multitasking is hard!

Either way, I think I'm done with this debate. I feel like I'm either typing out the wrong words or I'm just repeating the same points.

Will indulge in an argument about Toews and Crow's placement. Both should reside in the top 10 of their categories (even Toews after having two less than stellar seasons).

pnch40

May 31, 2015
I'll go ahead and make my 7th post to say.....the people that are taking Benn over Kane are basically saying they'll take Pippen over Jordan.

Good luck with that.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Lots of guys could have scored that goal, but very few are able to create the play that led to the goal. That's huge point, along with the fact that the play was made when the brightest lights were shining. No sphincter pucker for 88.

Benn is a very good player, P. Kane is going into the HOF.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Lots of guys could have scored that goal, but very few are able to create the play that led to the goal. That's huge point, along with the fact that the play was made when the brightest lights were shining. No sphincter pucker for 88.

Benn is a very good player, P. Kane is going into the HOF.

Kane's flash tends to over excite Hawks' fans. This debate is similar to the Toews/Kane comparison (back when T was real good and Kane had yet to reach his potential). It's apples to oranges actually when you try to compare a one dimensional offensive star to a solid two-way player who is effective without the dazzle.

Done here.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm hardly a Blackhawks fanboy and I find almost literally zero debate for taking Benn over Kane in any scenario. Ever. And I like Benn as a player. Let alone playoffs? Kane is one of the best playoff performers of the past nine years. That's a pretty small list....he's on it.

Effective without the dazzle? Great. Dazzle or not he's not as effective as Kane is. Kane's resume speaks enough for itself without any of us having to even discuss this further.

Picking Benn over Kane is akin to decision-making that eventually leads to GM's losing their jobs. If you were creating a playoff roster from scratch and took Benn before Kane you should lose your job. Period.

Kane all day, every day. Next.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Is the difference between what Saad brings and what Benn brings worth 3.5M? In a vacuum, not just in our cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad