NHL Network Rankings

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
The NHL Network recently ran a series entitled "The 10 Best Goalies Playing Now", the "20 best Forwards Playing Now," and the 20 Best cebnnters Playing Now."

These shows were interesting and fun to watch, and, in general, their rankings were solid (with some glaring exceptions, like placing McDavid ahead of Crosby).

Crow landed outside the top 10 goalies in this list and was deemed "almost there" at perhaps #11 or 12. Patrick Kane was the number 1 winger --- and I think they had Panarin #7 or 8 (can't remember which). Among centers, they were fairly generous to Toews, who they ranked as the #12 center in the NHL.

Thought I would see what people thought of theses reanking. For me, Crow, when healthy is a top 10 guy and is somewhat (albeit not by much) undervalued on that show. Kaner is a bit over-rated, but again, not by much. Panarin I felt was over-rated by a fair bit. His exciting play gains him more appreciation than his overall game warrants. #15 or so seems more like it. Tazer is over-rated a bit at #12, but by just 3 or so positions. Those are my thoughts. How about yours?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The NHL Network recently ran a series entitled "The 10 Best Goalies Playing Now", the "20 best Forwards Playing Now," and the 20 Best cebnnters Playing Now."

These shows were interesting and fun to watch, and, in general, their rankings were solid (with some glaring exceptions, like placing McDavid ahead of Crosby).

Crow landed outside the top 10 goalies in this list and was deemed "almost there" at perhaps #11 or 12. Patrick Kane was the number 1 winger --- and I think they had Panarin #7 or 8 (can't remember which). Among centers, they were fairly generous to Toews, who they ranked as the #12 center in the NHL.

Thought I would see what people thought of theses reanking. For me, Crow, when healthy is a top 10 guy and is somewhat (albeit not by much) undervalued on that show. Kaner is a bit over-rated, but again, not by much. Panarin I felt was over-rated by a fair bit. His exciting play gains him more appreciation than his overall game warrants. #15 or so seems more like it. Tazer is over-rated a bit at #12, but by just 3 or so positions. Those are my thoughts. How about yours?

for me, i would or am admitting that i am harsh in this. but there is a need to list the parameters for grading the players / position outside the goalie ratings.

crow - with his performance, i am using this yr and the yr before as a trend, i think this may be hopeful ratings. i like to see this yr as a rebound yr.... the hawks can not go further with crow of last yr performance.

wingers - i just don't know and with the center... are they using offensive stats only or what ??

too bad no d-men of the hawks are on the list.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

I agree with most of what you said. Though I wouldn't say Kane is overrated.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think people aren't remembering the appendix thing with Crow. He was on his way to maybe his best season yet before it happened. In hindsight, probably better it happened last year than this coming one.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
re crow and his injury last yr, i hate to say this, for us the fans, we will designate that of his injury. but outside us, the B-hawks fandom, it really doesn't matter. he still played and his official record is there for all to see.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
re crow and his injury last yr, i hate to say this, for us the fans, we will designate that of his injury. but outside us, the B-hawks fandom, it really doesn't matter. he still played and his official record is there for all to see.

Yeah, this is true. But knocking him out of the top 10 was going too far on it. Devan Dubnyk, nope, get out of here with that garbage, and he was at No. 5. Henrik Lundqvist, he's still good but there seems to have been some kind of clear decline. Martin Jones, well, I guess I can see that. They are pretty close though, but I could see taking Jones for this coming year with him being a little younger, maybe he can still grow a little. He is really good, it's not a bad choice. Quick, not sure on him, he's hard to peg, up and down, hurt and healthy. I guess he's still better than Crow on ability alone. So yeah, take Dubnyk and Lundqvist out. But whatever, I like when people try to discount him. That brings out the fire and the passion in him. :nod:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah, this is true. But knocking him out of the top 10 was going too far on it. Devan Dubnyk, nope, get out of here with that garbage, and he was at No. 5. Henrik Lundqvist, he's still good but there seems to have been some kind of clear decline. Martin Jones, well, I guess I can see that. They are pretty close though, but I could see taking Jones for this coming year with him being a little younger, maybe he can still grow a little. He is really good, it's not a bad choice. Quick, not sure on him, he's hard to peg, up and down, hurt and healthy. I guess he's still better than Crow on ability alone. So yeah, take Dubnyk and Lundqvist out. But whatever, I like when people try to discount him. That brings out the fire and the passion in him. :nod:

for starters it was the so-call experts who rated him, so yeah, we as fans has little to do with that ratings.

on my personal ratings, since i really haven't seen the others in many of their games, i personally feel that i can not give a honest assessment unless i am paraphrasing it to achieve my point with clarity. maybe i should say i am summarizing it.

either way, i would, based on his stats alone rank him between 5-10 slot. my ranking is flawed and i am agreeing to it. i am a fan of everything B-hawks.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
for starters it was the so-call experts who rated him, so yeah, we as fans has little to do with that ratings.

on my personal ratings, since i really haven't seen the others in many of their games, i personally feel that i can not give a honest assessment unless i am paraphrasing it to achieve my point with clarity. maybe i should say i am summarizing it.

either way, i would, based on his stats alone rank him between 5-10 slot. my ranking is flawed and i am agreeing to it. i am a fan of everything B-hawks.

Yeah, I just looked at the stats like they did, :laugh: If that's the criteria, similar to Crow means Crow better because of his playoff track record.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah, I just looked at the stats like they did, :laugh: If that's the criteria, similar to Crow means Crow better because of his playoff track record.

you make a valid point, all these polls of sort is so subjective and i like it like that. it creates great conversational discussion among fans.

every one is right and no is wrong is my motto.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I would've had Toews and Crow higher, and Kane lower.

Although they have not had strong seasons last year, I'm a fan of the selke level triplets known as Toews, Kopitar, and Bergeron. So I'd put them over a lot of the other centers that were higher then them on that list.

Crow is a top 10 goalie. He has the cups. He has the save percentage. What more is there?

Kane is easily a top 3 winger for me, but I'd probably take Jamie Benn over him. Slightly less offense, but better defense and plays harder minutes. Kane beats him by reputation, but the Toews and Crow placements show they didn't give a damn about that.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would've had Toews and Crow higher, and Kane lower.

Although they have not had strong seasons last year, I'm a fan of the selke level triplets known as Toews, Kopitar, and Bergeron. So I'd put them over a lot of the other centers that were higher then them on that list.

Crow is a top 10 goalie. He has the cups. He has the save percentage. What more is there?

Kane is easily a top 3 winger for me, but I'd probably take Jamie Benn over him. Slightly less offense, but better defense and plays harder minutes. Kane beats him by reputation, but the Toews and Crow placements show they didn't give a damn about that.

ref to crow and any other players, whether they are hawks or not, they are not graded on their past, but in the performance of the yr before.... or they should...

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No way is Benn better than Kane.

What 11 goalies are better than Crawford?

I hate ranking players. It's too subjective and too arbitrary to make a proper evaluation

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
No way is Benn better than Kane.

Just my personal opinion. And honestly, I go back and forth between the two pretty regularly. The one thing I like about Benn is that he's putting up massive points against tougher opposition. Kane, as we all know, is heavily sheltered by Q.

But again, I'm pretty indecisive over the two.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Benn over Kane? No way. Benn was not a PPG player until he got Tyler S. Benn is a really good player but Kane is just better.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Obviously Hawks homers will think that Toews and Crow are higher, I am glad that the NHL has just confirmed what I have been saying for years about Crow and the past two years about Toew, opinions that have been hugely ridiculed and criticized by the majority in here due to their emotional connection to these players. Kane is undoubtedly #1 amongst wingers and I would have ranked Panarin as #5 easily. No Hakws D deserve to be on there especially after last year. Overall the ranking were spot on, it's good to see Toews for what he really is, just an average middle pack number one center, and Crow I believe still a bit overrated at 11 or 12 and should have been shipped for Darling.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Obviously Hawks homers will think that Toews and Crow are higher, I am glad that the NHL has just confirmed what I have been saying for years about Crow and the past two years about Toew, opinions that have been hugely ridiculed and criticized by the majority in here due to their emotional connection to these players. Kane is undoubtedly #1 amongst wingers and I would have ranked Panarin as #5 easily. No Hakws D deserve to be on there especially after last year. Overall the ranking were spot on, it's good to see Toews for what he really is, just an average middle pack number one center, and Crow I believe still a bit overrated at 11 or 12 and should have been shipped for Darling.

Until Toews shows that he can get back to his elite two-way play I tend to agree.

In regards to Crow, unless you are only judging the list based on last season you can't leave Crow out of the Top 10 but they are clearly not doing that considering the included Quick. If we are talking the past 4-5 seasons, Crow is clearly a top 7 goalie. There is not a logical argument against this (both statistically and from an eye-test). Save percentage wise and from what I have seen Darling ranks right up there as well.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Until Toews shows that he can get back to his elite two-way play I tend to agree.

In regards to Crow, unless you are only judging the list based on last season you can't leave Crow out of the Top 10 but they are clearly not doing that considering the included Quick. If we are talking the past 4-5 seasons, Crow is clearly a top 7 goalie. There is not a logical argument against this (both statistically and from an eye-test). Save percentage wise and from what I have seen Darling ranks right up there as well.

It may be clear to you. CC can be that good at times (top 7) but then again so can pretty much any NHL starter when they are hot. Overall I think the 12th rating is pretty generous.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It may be clear to you. CC can be that good at times (top 7) but then again so can pretty much any NHL starter when they are hot. Overall I think the 12th rating is pretty generous.

If it is based on last season 12 is generous but they ranked Quick (6th, I think) so they are clearly not doing that. Last season Crow was not very good by his standards and like others, I would have tried to move Crow to keep Darling. Statistically and with the eye-test Crow has been top 7 since 12-13 season. It should be crystal-clear to everyone. I don't see how you can even argue that.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Bobby, it's clear to about 99% of this board.

It's not that he's "good at times". His stats place him above all but a handful of goalies in the league over the past 5 years. Full season stats. And his career playoffs numbers are better than all but a select few. So how is 12th generous? How... when the stats alone indicate that he's one of the top 5-7 goalies in the league year after year, is it generous to give him 12th? I have no problem arguing, honestly, that Crawford is one of the most underrated players in the entire league, not even just out of the goalies.

And if "pretty much any NHL starter" is as good as Crow when they're hot... is Crow just on a 5 year hot streak, then? Because there aren't more than 5-6 goalies in the entire league that I'd rather have in net over Crow. Consistency means something. I don't want a goalie who is amazing for two 5-7 game stretches of the season, then below average or barely average for all the rest of his starts. I want a goalie that is above average throughout the entirety of his starts in a season, which Crow is. He has very few games where he's not average, at worst, and far, far more where he's above average, or borderline elite at times.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Nothing against Kaner but I know which player I'd prefer at crunch time.

You would take Benn over Kane? Even though Kane has been one of the most "clutch" players over the last decade (if not the most clutch). I mean if we are talking about the Hawks being up 1 with 30 seconds left and I need a wing that you know will shutdown his guy I take Hossa. All day.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You would take Benn over Kane? Even though Kane has been one of the most "clutch" players over the last decade (if not the most clutch). I mean if we are talking about the Hawks being up 1 with 30 seconds left and I need a wing that you know will shutdown his guy I take Hossa. All day.

Benn had an off season, IMO. He can be much better. Time will tell but I think he has the makings of becoming a dominant PO performer.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Nothing against Kaner but I know which player I'd prefer at crunch time.

Maybe if you were less of a casual fan you'd realize that nobody outside of Stars fans, and even then probably not many, would agree with you that Benn is preferred in crunch time.

What a joke of a post. Between this and your Crawford nonsense, you're either being purposefully obtuse or you really haven't watched a Hawks playoff game in 4 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad